alohavwfan
16 years ago
Would like advice on the steps of restoring the bottom half of our '67 Bug Convertible. What would people start off with? Foorpan, Floorpan support bar, Heater Channels, Luggage tray as well as other things. Attached is the pic of the Bug in question. The outside looks good but it also needs quite a bit of bodywork. I believe in saving this one.... 😃

Mahalos

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
16 years ago
Welcome to the forum!

It all depends on how much needs replacing really, and whether you want to do a body off or not, and how strong your heater channels are. From the photos it doesn't look too bad. It is possible to replace the floorpan halfs without taking the body off, this is a good dvd to demonstrate how to do this:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-9605-DVD 

If the pan is OK and you need to replace the heater channels and cabrio strengtheners, take a look at this one:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-9606-DVD 

Hope that helps!
Rob
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
alohavwfan
16 years ago
Thanks Rob,

It's a daunting task, The info helps some. The floorpan needs to be redone, the heater channels and support rails needs to be done as well as the luggage tray. All of the parts are too far to be repaired. I guess from what you are saying is that we should do the floorpans then the heather channels and support rails then do the luggage tray?

Mahalos
pre67vw
16 years ago
Best option is to brace up the doors with bars across the openings. When I did mine, I didn't want to weld the braces in so I made up a bar that bolted into the door hinge holes and the striker holes. Most instructions I've seen they weld the braces in though. Then you can lift the body from the pan without the front half folding into the back and preserves your door gaps etc.

Once you have the body off its pretty much the same as a sedan floorpan apart from there are no jacking points. Buy your pan halfs and take the jacking points off, weld the pans in. (again that DVD is a great way to learn what needs doing).

I would then drop the car back onto the pan and get everything back in place before replacing the heater channels/strengtheners. If you try and replace heater channels in the air with no ability to check alignment things are bound to go wrong. Once the heater channels are in place, then remove your door braces and you're all done. :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
alohavwfan
16 years ago
Exellent! By some chance, do you have pics of the way you braced the door openings?
pre67vw
16 years ago
I'll have a look when I get home from work. I'll email you them directly if I have any if thats ok.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
alohavwfan
16 years ago
Perfect, you can email me directly! Here is another pic of the car when we pulled it out of the back of the yard, it's my wallpaper pic now. lol

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
Cool! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW