vwdude
19 years ago
:?: I have a 67 bug and when i turn the key, the engine cranks, but it doesnt start, to run... it doesnt spark after i turn the key...the coil is still good.. any ideas?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Patchd
19 years ago
Before trying anything else I suggest checking the battery if you havent already done so.
This has been the case with my car a few times where the starter cranks but nothing else happens.

When was the last time you had the engine running?
vwdude
19 years ago
:?: last time i runned the engine was like a few weeks ago. so will it stil crank if the battery is low?
Patchd
19 years ago
I'm no expert but I think it will.. The experience I've had is that you hear the starter going and can hear and see the engine trying to turn over but it never quite reaches the point that it goes under its own steam.

The voltage on the battery (assuming its a 12v sytem which I believe it definatly will be on a '67) should be like between about 11 and 14 volts to get it started I think.

Have you tried jump starting it from another car? Its quite awkward in a beetle (only because of the postion of the battery) but may work.

Of course I might be totally wrong but its a start (hopefully)..
Good luck
vwdude
19 years ago
😞 i charged the battery . and it didnt start. it was doing the same thing. just turning over. im sure all the connections are in. when i pulled off the center plug off the distributor and tried to start it. there was no spark at all. do u think it can be the chrome distributor cover i put on my generator? because the wire is touching the cover too. im not sure but i think its conducting electricity by the wire also touching the generator cover.
L8765DELUX
19 years ago
woha seems like this is a problem with you guys. its easy dude just check the major parts Keystart make sure power is going to your coil.... some time your coil wire under your hood to the fuze box can come undone it should be on the farthest left if its a nonright hand drive. if it is that could be your problem. "haha" never even seen a right hand bug. anyway just check to make sure your points are open and closeing. to set your points in a pinch use one side of a matchbook to gap it. and check your condensor. coils dont good bad that often. they can be weak but get the bosch blue coil. don't listen to that crap about other ones these work. make sure power is getting to the coil when the key is on. and make sure its all good with the ground too. its easy let me know and I can walk you throu the wire schematic. only need 3 wires to run a VW good luck.
The Desert Elk TINPANZERS
arizona