overrestored
16 years ago
I don't think I've posted these before...

An Alfa Romeo Rometsch.... it is in restoration now

Just when you thought you knew everything...

protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
overrestored
16 years ago
many years ago...  13493.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
16 years ago
I don't think I have posted these before... if I have... feel free to heckle me.

13494.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bjoern
16 years ago
I have registered myself in an Alfa-Forum, just to get a view into the car. But there was no acually pic. Thanks for sharing these pictures...and congratulate to the happy owner.
overrestored
16 years ago
Bjoern,

I think that the owner has been in touch with the Traugott G. within this past year... I bet they had a lot to talk about. Nobody I know even knew this car existed.
Bjoern
16 years ago
Here is the link to the forum, where they are talking about

Alfa Coachbuild forum 
overrestored
16 years ago
I wrote my friend Peter who worked at Rometsch... starting in 1951... to ask about this Alfa. He says that he doesn't remember the car... but it could have been built before he was there. He also said:

"I know some time after I had left Rometsch, he (Rometsch) acquired the rights to repair and sell Alfa Romeos for the State of Brandenburg (Berlins urban area), but that was mostly theoretical because of the communist regime at that time."

Maybe the car was rebodied then... on a wreck sometime in the late 1950's?

Peter did remind me that Rometsch built a big Maybach cabriolet special. has anyone ever found pictures of that car???

dretceterini
14 years ago
I have been helping the owner of the car Bob Piltch in Arizona, US with the history of the Rometsch Alfa. The car is an Alfa Romeo 6c2300 "A" Pescara, chassis N. 700610 (Two 1 barrel side draft carbs; still on the car today!; solid rear axle...The Alfa Romeo 6c2300 "Bs" have a rear swing axle).

The car was purchased by Acedeme Rosa in early 1934, and raced in Italy, taking a second at the Giro di Italy and a 3rd at the Coppa Ciano in Pescara Italy in 1934. Acedeme Rosa was a member of Scuderia Ambrosiana (which was run by a cousin..we called him uncle because he would be 110 today...on my mother's side of the family; Count Giovanni "Johnny" Lurani di Cernuschi, Italy) and the car was loaned to Scuderia Ferrari for these two races.

It was one of the very first cars to ever run with the Scuderia Ferrari shield with the prancing horse. Two other cars with the same coachwork were sold directly to Scuderia Ferrari, and finished 1st and 2nd in the Coppa Ciano at Pescara. The Giro di Italy was won by a Lancia Astura with coachwork by Touring (in aluminum)

The coachwork at that time was ultra-light "leather" fabric over wood, built by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, Italy in the "Weyman" style. The car was a 4-seat tourer, and ran with the top up.

The car was probably sold (or given) to a German or Italian military officer cira 1936 or 1937.

The coachwork may actually be by Erdmann and Rossi, and not Rometsch, as Beeskow worked for Erdmann and Rossi before he worked for Rometsch, and he designed the body.

The current body is being removed from the chassis to see if there are any Erdmann and Rossi or Rometsch identifcation marks.

Dott.Ing.Stuart Schaller
Portland, Oregon, US
503-206-5823

(My father was a panel-beater for the pre WW2 Mercedes GP car team!)