55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Seeing as Stu think's it's as dead as a dodo here today, I though I'd post a teaser shot of this one.

Who remembers it? If you do, what was it called and more importantly where is it now? Did it survive?

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
blimey, thats one ive not seen before, looks like a car from the 70s or 80s with that artwork on it, its probably sitting in someones garage, unused & untouched for years, it wouldnt surprise me...
VW Stan
15 years ago
I last saw 'Barbarella' at a Sunset VW club meeting in Ashley Green in 1987!
It was still owned by the guy that built it. He said it didn't come out very often!
:wink:
 action_3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

'Barbarella'

VW Stan wrote:

Correct Stan. If memory serves me correctly it was a 56. I only ever saw it at Stonor. The shot above was taken at Stonor 87. Shots below were Stonor 86, not sure if 1835 VW was a "real" numberplate on one put on for the shows.

According to the DVLA website it was taxed until August 93 so perhaps it exists unloved sitting in a garage somewhere. Suppose it may even still be owned by the same guy.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
VW Stan
15 years ago

not sure if 1835 VW was a "real" numberplate on one put on for the shows.

55Kab wrote:

I'm pretty sure it had 1835 VW in the pub car park.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I'm pretty sure it had 1835 VW in the pub car park.

VW Stan wrote:

Almost certianly a 'valid' UK plate, but that series wasn't issued until 1960/61, so transfered off a later car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
oval2
12 years ago

Seeing as Stu think's it's as dead as a dodo here today, I though I'd post a teaser shot of this one.

Who remembers it? If you do, what was it called and more importantly where is it now? Did it survive?

UserPostedImage

55Kab wrote:

This car did survive! It has been owned by the same owner for the last 20years till I recently inherited it! It is stil in a runner in great condition.
GKL 7
12 years ago
I remember the car well from the old "Action"days at Stoneleigh.
Any present pics?
Caledfryn
12 years ago
Wow! Totally hideous.

Reminds me of those trucks you see with airbrushed pictures of Red Indians and wolves on.
vintagebug
12 years ago
I remember "Barbarella" from the VW Action @ Stoneleigh days, back in the '80s. There was a similarly "styled" one around at the same time if I recollect- Darth Vader, wasn't it? :unsure:

How tastes have changed...
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vintagebug
12 years ago

Does anyone remember a white 1303(S) with red & blue stripes all the way around the bottom, over the rear wings, back along the other side & around the front wings? I'm sure the guy towed a trailer painted in the same colours. It came from Switzerland to VW Action a few times in the '80s. Anyone got any pics? That would bring back some memories of my early trips to Action...
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
12 years ago

Does anyone remember a white 1303(S) with red & blue stripes all the way around the bottom, over the rear wings, back along the other side & around the front wings? I'm sure the guy towed a trailer painted in the same colours. It came from Switzerland to VW Action a few times in the '80s. Anyone got any pics? That would bring back some memories of my early trips to Action...

vintagebug wrote:

Was that the car with the Porsche kit and the Martini stripes,was made up to look like the limited edition 911's.If so,i remember it and took pictures,i binned them when things moved on:wink:
GKL 7
12 years ago

Wow! Totally hideous.

Caledfryn wrote:

Fashions change Martin.
I realised that when i saw Ben at Stanford Hall:rofl:
six-o-one
12 years ago

I remember "Barbarella" from the VW Action @ Stoneleigh days, back in the '80s. There was a similarly "styled" one around at the same time if I recollect- Darth Vader, wasn't it? :unsure:

How tastes have changed...

vintagebug wrote:

The guy who owned the Darth Vader Beetle ended up doing a black fastback in exactly the same style!

There was also a slightly more tasteful black beetle known as 'Black Widow'.

I'm sure I have some old photos of most of these cars if Rob will excuse a few pictures in the name of nostalgia?

:roll:

Sunroof53
12 years ago
The fastback is still around and remember seeing it quite often as the man who built it lived in the Peterborough area.
oval2
12 years ago

I remember the car well from the old "Action"days at Stoneleigh.
Any present pics?

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes got some pics if I can get then onto the site. The car was sold without the plate and was re registered. Sadly the paint work flaked and the car was re sprayed -pink!! but still looke quite classy I think
oval2
12 years ago

Yes got some pics if I can get then onto the site. The car was sold without the plate and was re registered. Sadly the paint work flaked and the car was re sprayed -pink!! but still looke quite classy I think

oval2 wrote:

Caledfryn
12 years ago

Fashions change Martin.
I realised that when i saw Ben at Stanford Hall:rofl:

'50 Karmann wrote:

You'll be laughing on the other side of your face George when Stanford Hall becomes the new Goodwood festival!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Can any one remember the Oval that was called Mr Blue a Bug called Brown Sugar one called Black Night and The White Tornado. All lived around Sheffield in the Early 80s. all had miurals on them Mr blue i think had an ELO conection Brown Sugar was heavy graphics on her Black Night a Night on Horse back and tornado had a small miural on the engine lid
GKL 7
12 years ago
Didn't get to Sheffield much in the eighties i'm afraid:rofl: :wink: :rofl: