Standard split
14 years ago

Now your're convinced about that one John.
What info do you need to persuade you "Rattletrap" is a fake.:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Some people will swear that black is white, others will swear a Split is an Oval :evil:

As mentioned previous – Rattletrap's body is not an Oval shell with simply a Split window welded in.

The dash has been put in to the damaged Split shell. I've shown the join. The original dash being badly creased on the right by the truck that hit it.

A new shell would not have had the dash touched.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
14 years ago

The dash has been put in to the damaged Split shell. I've shown the join. The original dash being badly creased on the right by the truck that hit it.

A new shell would not have had the dash touched.:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Unless the doner parts were righthand drive .The photo of the dash looks pre restoration .
Standard split
14 years ago

Unless the doner parts were righthand drive .The photo of the dash looks pre restoration .

Sunroof53 wrote:

Too many joins for one new shell. This is still very much the old car repaired and straightened.:wink:

There is a nice write-up on Rattletrap in the new (October) Volksworld.

Yep, they're sure its a '518)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
55Kab
14 years ago
Can't someone track down Barry Haselock? Surely he'll be able to provide the answer.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Can't someone track down Barry Haselock? Surely he'll be able to provide the answer.

55Kab wrote:

I thought Terrys did it? I had the chance to ask a while ago, but didn´t think of it.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

I thought Terrys did it?

JD wrote:

No, it was entrusted to Baz at HoH in Nuneaton.

Standard split
14 years ago

There is a nice write-up on Rattletrap in the new (October) Volksworld.

Yep, they're sure its a '518)

Standard split wrote:

A rather substantially repaired '51 though:o

Sunroof53
14 years ago
Have you read the articles from VWM i posted john ?
Standard split
14 years ago

Have you read the articles from VWM i posted john ?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Seen all those, really does not prove or disprove Rattletrap's current pedigree.

Tony Levy would still insist its a pre-production prototype of the planned 'Jukebox' style dash.:?

GKL 7
14 years ago

Tony Levy would still insist its a pre-production prototype of the planned 'Jukebox' style dash.:?

Standard split wrote:

Don't think the article in Volksworld potrayed Tony in a very good light at all.
In fact, i think half the stories he told about the car were outright Bullshit.
Standard split
14 years ago

Don't think the article in Volksworld potrayed Tony in a very good light at all.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes, but they also did not dispute his claim on the car, or rubbish it[-x

GKL 7
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

What that was saying John, was unless you have evidence yourself for the originality and history of this car,what the owner was telling us couldn't be believed.
So do you have your own evidence?
55Kab
14 years ago
And remember he used to tell those story's when there was no where near as much interest or knowledge about vintage VW's, so who was to challenge him? Certainly not the case today as we all know that Rattletrap (or the last incarnation of it from House of Haz) was/is a Zwitter and not some 51 prototype.

Full marks for trying though! :lol:

Sunroof53
14 years ago
On this page is Rattltraps original chassis no before it was swapped by TBS.Reg is 10 BXK and no 37 on the list .

https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/sqeeter/register6.jpg 
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes, but they also did not dispute his claim on the car, or rubbish it[-x

Standard split wrote:

What that was saying is that Volksworld appear to believe this car as genuine – their article in the latest edition does not say anything to the contrary. In fact they bang-on about its amazing mileage in excess of 820,00 miles as well as the incredible history. They do give lesser comments on Tony though.

VW Motoring accepted the pedigree of Rattletrap to the point of making an on-going feature of it for many months.

And remember, Rattletrap appeared in other publications too :wink:

My best recollection of the excitement generated by this car was when it appeared on the ITV London 6 O'clock Show being driven round-and-round the studio in a large circle about to break through the 800,000 mile barrier, and a lot of cheering being made when it did. I think it was Michael Aspel who presented this, and he popped the bubbly! It's a job to believe that ITV would give prime-time weekday TV to something which did not check-out.

Rattletrap was the first split I ever saw. Back in 1977, and the Queen's Silver Jubilee, while we were waiting for the Queen's open carriage to pass, Rattletrap managed to run accross the road junction just before it was closed. It was more of a treat for the young John than seeing the Queen pass afterwards. That sowed the seed for me to own a Split-Window Beetle when I was able to drive. More fascinating Rattletrap history 8)

Sunroof53
14 years ago

What that was saying is that Volksworld appear to believe this car as genuine – their article in the latest edition does not say anything to the contrary. In fact they bang-on about its amazing mileage in excess of 820,00 miles as well as the incredible history. They do give lesser comments on Tony though.

VW Motoring accepted the pedigree of Rattletrap to the point of making an on-going feature of it for many months.

And remember, Rattletrap appeared in other publications too :wink:

My best recollection of the excitement generated by this car was when it appeared on the ITV London 6 O'clock Show being driven round-and-round the studio in a large circle about to break through the 800,000 mile barrier, and a lot of cheering being made when it did. I think it was Michael Aspel who presented this, and he popped the bubbly! It's a job to believe that ITV would give prime-time weekday TV to something which did not check-out.

Rattletrap was the first split I ever saw. Back in 1977, and the Queen's Silver Jubilee, while we were waiting for the Queen's open carriage to pass, Rattletrap managed to run accross the road junction just before it was closed. It was more of a treat for the young John than seeing the Queen pass afterwards. That sowed the seed for me to own a Split-Window Beetle when I was able to drive. More fascinating Rattletrap history 8)

Standard split wrote:

I think they would rubbish it if they new the car was made in December 52.This alone makes the milelage claim invalid as the records he kept were from 1951.

I understand now why you defending the Rattletrap legacy .It reminded me of when i was told that Herbie did not really have magic powers :cry: :lol:
55Kab
14 years ago

It reminded me of when i was told that Herbie did not really have magic powers :cry: :lol:

Sunroof53 wrote:

WHAT :?:

I hope you're not seriously suggesting Herbie is not real :!: :lol:

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

WHAT :?:

I hope you're not seriously suggesting Herbie is not real :!: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

Herbie is definitely real - he was at Hessisch! I was also told not to refer to him as "it". He doesn´t like it apparently!:d
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
14 years ago
64rotbox
14 years ago

It's a job to believe that ITV would give prime-time weekday TV to something which did not check-out.

Standard split wrote:

I doubt anyone working on the programme in question would have an extensive knowledge of the finer details of early 1950s Volkswagens. It would have just been something to fill time before the next set of adverts... Much like most of their output, then.
You can call me Al.