pre67vw
15 years ago

OK, so that proves nowt then :?

pre67vw wrote:

or.. is it an indication that the side was taken from a rhd car and the interior light hole welded up?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
15 years ago

No idea why those strips would be ground off. But why weld there even if you were working on the roof?

Exactly. You wouldn't need to work on the roof of a 'new' shell.

The original shell had to have the roof cut around :wink:

And of course zwitters had no light above the split window :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
15 years ago

or.. is it an indication that the side was taken from a rhd car and the interior light hole welded up?

pre67vw wrote:

I dont think they swapped the light for left and right cars.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

The original shell had to have the roof cut around :wink:

Standard split wrote:

So where are the other welds then?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago
OK, I'm calling timeout on this one. I'm locking the thread. If anyone finds PROOF then PM me and I'll unlock it again
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
15 years ago
Received these from Sunroof53 a little while back, but only just got around to adding them to the thread... It's pretty clear that it's a replacement body...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Thanks Rob:beer:
Standard split
15 years ago

Putting the split window into a later shell would certainly have been much easier and much less work than replacing the side in the original shell.

I still don't see anything I would consider 'proof' to support either story though. I'd like to see either the original shell with the side cut out, or the new shell with the rear window cut out.

I'm sorry, but I still don't see anything I would consider proof of a new shell.

pre67vw wrote:

So what's changed with these new pages Rob, we still can't see the 'new' shell :!:

Check this bit of copy on page 61: …the search was on for a suitable body – it didn't have to be perfect, but capable of supplying the main shell, which could be repaired as requested, and to which doors and other components could be added as necessary…

I still think that a certain amount of Rattletrap's original body (mainly driver's side rear and full back up into roof) were grafted into the donor shell. This for instance explains the car having the later type door and mechanism on the smashed side, and the older pre'55 style door and mechanism on the undamaged side.

I've never believed that the whole original shell is still with the car – it was too rotten and crushed in places.

But it's not a completely new shell – not an oval shell with just the window grafted in the back, and certainly not a complete shell from another zwitter :twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
pre67vw
15 years ago
The text says 'the body, he reckoned, was beyond economical repair and we'd be better off using another. So the search was on for a suitable body...' Clearly another body was used as you wouldn't cut the body you're trying to restore into bits. Also, using only parts from the donor body to repair the original would make the statement 'beyond economical repair' incorrect, so it had to be largely donor body. So I guess it comes down to the definition of 'new shell'? It probably wasn't a case of swapping the new body in for the old with a rear window swap, probably more likely to have been a real frankenstein body.

Interesting to see what else had been replaced in the cars history... the engine, the gearbox, the chassis, the interior, the front suspension :lol: It sounds like Tony was very happy with what was done though, bringing his black beetle back to life when he thought he'd never drive it again - regardless of what was replaced.

Was it the same car after the repairs? I kind of think it was, because the car was a workhorse, when something wore out or broke it was replaced, why should the body be any different?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Was it the same car after the repairs?

pre67vw wrote:

Yes!:wink:

It lost its original chassis spine long ago, but I would have called it the same car! Now it has had a new body, I would call it by the same car!:wink:

Even though as Tony apparently used to say that the only original part was the gear knob and no metal work is from the original car!:lol:
William
Standard split
15 years ago

Yes!:wink:

Now it has had a new body, I would call it by the same car!:wink:
:

54 Gertie wrote:

Well, partly new body. But I think we're all more or less in agreement.

Regardless however, the whole Rattletrap history is really something.

I agree – in a way its really just the same car rolling along – fantastic :d

The smash was a good thing for Rattletrap it would seem. All the rotten metal gone, with what would have been a real expensive professional rebuild done. Yet another interesting chapter in its history.

Definitely worth more than it was advertised at, just for the legend alone.

The spirit of Rattletrap lives on :beer:

stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
and still no one knows whos bought it!...
Sunroof53
15 years ago
I doubt we will see the new owner on here .He was a friend of Tonys.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I doubt we will see the new owner on here .He was a friend of Tonys.

Sunroof53 wrote:

yeh i no lol, thats why i missed out on it :cry:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
So it was a new body after all. I thought so. Wonder what bits they did keep?
UserPostedImage
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

So it was a new body after all. I thought so. Wonder what bits they did keep?

JD wrote:

none lol, except the chassis tunnel minus the floorpan halfs
Standard split
15 years ago
Drivers side door and rear quarter panel, back section up thru the rear window and up into the roof to the point of damage. All this stuff was cut from the wrecked shell and welded into the donor (probably oval) shell. Obvious as Tony wanted to keep as much of the original body as he could.

This was not a straight body shell swap :evil:
Standard split
15 years ago
Is Rattletrap going to become the 'highest mileage' topic on this forum :?:

Its certainly 'clocked-up' a lot of views and posts:wink:

Sunroof53
15 years ago
I found a 1978 copy of vw motoring and it had a list of cars that had done over 100,000 .Rattletraps original chassis no(the floor in the pics above was not the original according to the article) was listed with its milelage at the time .There were also many other familiar cars (MRT 308 )and lots of ovals.Maybe a topic for another thread is to see how many of them are still around Especially for 55kab who is doing a register.Having the nunber plates, you could easily find out if they have survived.

Still cant believe Standard split is in denial about the body:roll:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I am wondering if they used an Oval body though? Would have been a lot easier to to find one.
Looks like a really solid car now at any rate. I think any of us would be happy to knock about in a car like that, regardless of its long and severely checkered history.

Still cant believe Standard split is in denial about the body:roll:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Me either!Still, he´s entitled to his opinion.
UserPostedImage