heb623
14 years ago

ANORAK

'50 Karmann wrote:

RAIN COAT:?::shock:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
55Kab
14 years ago

Yep, can do

pre67vw wrote:

Tks Rob :wink: :beer:

Can you send them to my email address please? Like the YouTube vid.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I didnt go, but I know that Keith Vipond is not remotely rude at all!! He is a really very nice man! who does a great job organising displays year round in his own time, as he has great knowledge on pre67 cars, and it is not fair at all to make a personal comment like this on here, especially as he does not use forums or visit here.

Everyone who books their car into the historic display is FULLY aware that it is run by the Historic Club who are a stock vintage vw club, and it is a display to represent beetles that are close to stock. All the display cars are supposed to be booked in before the show weekend, whereby they will say sorry but no, if your car is not to their criteria and they dont want it in their display. And yes, they do that! So if you turn up on the day unbooked, it is down to the discretion of this same person who is in charge of that particular display whether they want your car in it or not. It is that simple. So they will still say NO, whether pre-booked in or not!

Not to point out the obvious, but Stanford Hall is now the flagship stock vw show/concours of the year, so it is hardly surprising that they dont want any floor scraping/modified/suspension altered cars at all in there and I am sure that is easy to understand if you put yourself in their shoes. Dont forget that a really lowered car completely messes up the stock height line in a row of cars. Lowered people dont mind this, I think they think it looks amusing, but stock people hate it!
Thats just how it is and what Stanford Hall is all about and will always be about, and this is made clear on all the entry forms.

Its not just about age, but also a certain style of presentation. I agree completely that your car IS OG paint and many respects far more correct and interesting to some of us than many of the cars on restored stock display in the whole show! BUT by lowering it that much you have taken away its criteria to get into this Stanford Hall display group, same for the split on the cover of UltraVW this month! I can also see how a 'cal-look' height but otherwise clean original looking early car might just slip through, where a 'ratlook' ( forgive the tag) car will simply not. Another reason for this being that stock people in general especially the older generation just dont like to see original tatty paint at all, they prefer to see a car repainted and restored once the exterior paint has gone 'past a certain point' ( our 50 is the same condition as yours if not slightly worse! but we will not restored ours either!) My oval is borderline. I know many stock people will frown on our very worn out og paint but we dont care about their opinion.
But at the same time your 2 cars shine out at most of the other 'all types/anything goes on display' vw shows all year. Where as stockers dont even go to all these other shows, so they get very few opportunities in the whole year to display their cars parked with other stockers.

I always think you can define it simply to whether a car fits Stanford or not, by cars that do go to Santa pod to shows, and cars who's owners would rather roast alive in hell and have their cars crushed before their eyes than even drive through the gates :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
14 years ago
Blimey Anna, sometimes you frighten me girl! :lol:

However, even though the 55 will fall into that pan scraping/modded suspension category and therefore it will probably never run over the cattle grate of Stanford, I also agree that for the preserve of the standard cars, of which I'm a fan also, "The Hall" should always be regarded as the UK's biggest and best loved event for standard VW's and their respective displays.
mrsherbie
14 years ago

I can see the reasoning behind it as I really wouldn't want to see heavily modified cars in that area - Strictly vintage for me! I also don't want to see deliberate Hoodride/Ratlook cars in there either.

My car is a bit 'rough around the edges' because it's never been restored. Surely there has to be a better way of vetting cars beforehand than turning people away on the day based on whether or not they meet someones taste criteria.

Caledfryn wrote:

I think you sum up perfectly the views of most stock people who take part at Stanford in the special displays.

But they are 'vetted' beforehand when entered correctly in advance. And if turned away on the day it is because they dont fit the criteria you described on your first sentence! Some people will try to enter cars and not say they are modified and they will be turned away on the day.

Maybe a Pre-67 forum display area is the way to go?

Caledfryn wrote:

Unfortunately there just are not enough stock cars to go round too many displays.
And I can read Robs mind wright now and tell you that ABSOLUTELY NO RATLOOK OR LOWERED CARS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER would be allowed in a pre67 forum display! :lol: so it is exactly the same!

mrsherbie
14 years ago

Blimey Anna, sometimes you frighten me girl! :lol:

55Kab wrote:

:lol:

However! with a little pre-planning, if you have an interesting car of any guise, modified or rat etc, you can often find a friend who is a trader or magazine or some really good spot in the trade area to park, as our friend did with his cal-look oval & 356, and the bonus of without the added pressure of being 'judged' in the concours, which we prefer, like a lot of people. So there are other options available to give your car a great spot at Stanford!

Ovalbug
14 years ago

Great show and worth all the effort to get there.i am uploading some pics .I had the good fortune to meet the man who restored my car in 88 and i met Nessy on here to.Did anyone get a picture of the whole historic display?

Sunroof53 wrote:

I'm Ovalbug on here Mike :lol: , Nessy on the 'other' VW sites.......:wink:
It was great to meet you and be able to babble on about all things '53, you can learn more from looking and talking about a car in front of you in 5 minutes than months of studying books which may or may not contain accurate info.........
Think that yesterdays Stanford was one of the best I've been to; got some cracking bargains in the parts for sale area, and as you know getting that interior light switch sorted out made my day...................

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
55Kab
14 years ago

with a little pre-planning, there are other options available to give your car a great spot at Stanford!

mrsherbie wrote:

I'm a bloke, we don't do pre-planning don't you know! :lol:

But yes, I hope when finished the car will be one that a lot of people would like to look at when it's finished and as I'm going to be out of the UK for some time I'll not be able to take her to many shows, so with Stanford being one of my favs since the late 80's I'll have to sneak her in somewhere next year! :wink:
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Kieth was very helpful to me at the start of the show and considering he was clearly suffering with a bad leg did a fantastic job of keeping it all under control.I imagine it can be quite stressfull on a day when it really shouldnt be for anyone .Least of all for the man that organised it.

Roll on next year:beer:
55Kab
14 years ago
So you made it Mike, where's ya pics? :wink:
Sunroof53
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Here is my 53 .Sorry it wasnt good enough for Rob to film but i was busy
with some engine work:roll:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
:? UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Pre67?
UserPostedImage

Sunroof53
14 years ago

So you made it Mike, where's ya pics? :wink:

55Kab wrote:

Yeah it was a close one though :!: My engine was just a crank case on friday morning ,But i stayed up (i work nights)put it all back ,Motd for 4pm and taxed at 4.50pm .Spent most of Saturday asleep or with the family and made it for the historic display .It was worth all the effort as i met a couple of Pre67 members and the man who restored my car in 1988 who may have the original case for my car:d .
Sunroof53
14 years ago

I'm Ovalbug on here Mike :lol: , Nessy on the 'other' VW sites.......:wink:
It was great to meet you and be able to babble on about all things '53, you can learn more from looking and talking about a car in front of you in 5 minutes than months of studying books which may or may not contain accurate info.........
Think that yesterdays Stanford was one of the best I've been to; got some cracking bargains in the parts for sale area, and as you know getting that interior light switch sorted out made my day...................

:wink:

Ovalbug wrote:

Same for me to ,it was great to meet up and talk 53 stuff with you.:beer:

Kids taxi
14 years ago
quote=Richard]
All I can say is, Keith from the Historic VW club is the rudest man I've ever met :evil:
First my car was too 'rough around the edges' to be in the display, then after he let an Oval in with a dented wing he said my car couldn't enter the circle because it 'had non standard wheels', then when an Oval with BRM's drove in he said changed his tone again & said mine 'it was too low', then when the Black Split drove in & I tried to talk to him he walked off for the second time :roll:

My car was one of the rarest there, and in original paint, and I ended up getting shunned between 2 camper vans :shock:
If he didn't want modified split's there, he should have said before I drove 100 miles for the show.

Can i just Say How Wrong you Are Sir... Keith Vipond is a lovely chap and he works damn hard and for free so we can all enjoy stanford hall . Your car was indeed a rare car But there were others that were rarer . I personally believe that after looking at your car I wouldnt have let it through the Gate . It maybe a rare car at other shows among 70s beetles etc BUT Stanford Hall is Now considered '' The Classic Show of the year '' by many . I had a good look around your 51 . Although it has had some bodywork You have ruined the car by the modified brakes the reproduction wheels and the fact it has a much later 70s engine and clearly a custom exhaust . Not to mention the fact that it looks like the suspension has failed.

You have stood up and bemoaned the fact that Keith wouldnt let you in to the area and the black split on genuine fuch alloys got in . Im sure If we all had a look at your original entry form you neglected to mention that its a ''Hoodride '' car .

As for driving 100 miles You benefitted from Free tickets which after seeing your car Im postive they could have gone to a better vehicle

Im sorry But i go to Stanford Hall to view some of the best classics in the Uk and Europe I think you should stick to the new wave events where im sure you will get more kudos etc etc

KT
Im too Old for This
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Forgot Herbie :oops: :wink:

UserPostedImage
Caledfryn
14 years ago

I think you sum up perfectly the views of most stock people who take part at Stanford in the special displays.

But they are 'vetted' beforehand when entered correctly in advance. And if turned away on the day it is because they dont fit the criteria you described on your first sentence! Some people will try to enter cars and not say they are modified and they will be turned away on the day.

mrsherbie wrote:

In total agreement with you Anna, and I'm not knocking Keith V. The point I was making was that my car is not modified/rat or anything else other than original. I sent off the form but got it returned to me saying the display was 'full' - which it clearly wasn't. I can only assume that there was a big 'no-show' by some and/or that a lot of modified/buggered cars where turned away having already booked ahead of me! Maybe a pic of the car could be sent with the application form ? It could mean that those wiuth stockers could get in and those with modified cars wouldn't be disappointed after driving a long way only then to have to park in the car park! :lol: (Driving over those cattle grids! lol)

Martin

Caledfryn
14 years ago
Can I add a pic of my car as a 'virtual' entrant? :lol:

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

Can I add a pic of my car as a 'virtual' entrant? :lol:

UserPostedImage

Caledfryn wrote:

Funky rear indicators, Martin.
Caledfryn
14 years ago

Funky rear indicators, Martin.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hella originals don't you know!

Maybe they're why I couldn't go in the line-up!!?!? :lol:
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
I had a great day at Stanford Hall, it was the first time in over twenty years that I had attended with a fifties beetle and I can say that I’m hooked all over again! It was good to meet people from the Pre67 forum and put names to faces. I certainly came away with a lot of new and useful information that will be useful in the ongoing project to get my beetle looking and running as it should.

I also met up with two of my cars previous owners, one of whom introduced himself by telling me that he needed to buy my car back and then when he heard it wasn’t for sale went on to make some very silly offers. Sadly, it turns out that he still has the original engine stored away, but as he feels the car should be his he wasn’t prepared to sell it to me and see it re-united with the car. 😞

On a more positive note, there were far more traders selling early stuff than I remember from the old days and I managed to pick up several odd bits and pieces that will prove invaluable in putting my beetle back to the way it should be.

As regards the Historic Line Up, I was proud to have my car amongst those that are far more fettled and hope that at future events it’ll look in increasingly finer fettle! Nevertheless it managed to get its photo taken and posted above so it can’t be that bad.

Without wishing to court controversy I would say in Keiths defence that I found him to be an absolute gentleman and I admire him for carrying out the task of organising the line up when he was so obviously struggling with his mobility. I echo the views of those that say that Stanford Hall is becoming one of the last Bastions of the stock early VW, and I feel it is entirely right to respect that that is the case, those who quite rightly want to show off their modified and lowered cars will find plenty of other venues up and down the country throughout the show season where they will be welcomed and admired.

Mike :d

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.