RoRoVw
14 years ago
Hi,
I was helping Keith on Sunday and can perhaps throw a little more light on the situation.

There were 30 spaces available in the pre '57 display and the response this year was fantastic as they were all allocated to pre-booked entrants long before the Stanford Hall weekend.

On the day only the one car mentioned in previous posts was refused entry as not being 'stock enough' for Stanford Hall. I think one entrant had notified Keith prior to the day that they were unable to make the show. All the other vacant pegs were because those entrants did not turn up on the day. One car that did turn up had to leave suddenly within about half an hour when the owners received an urgent phone call from home.

So, sadly, the display wasn't quite as full as it might have been, when it had initially promised to be a 'full house'.

I'm sure that Keith would like me to thank all those that did attend and helped make up a Display of such a high standard.

Keith, of course, is certainly not a rude man as anyone who knows him will testify. He organised the display this year despite being ill and in pain for most of the day.
Caledfryn
14 years ago
Thanks for that explanation Ro. :beer:

I'll have to get my form in a bit earlier next time!
RoRoVw
14 years ago
Glad it's helped.
Yes make an early application as your car certainly wouldn't be refused entry.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
We had planned to put Gertie in the display, and new we wouldnt know until a few days before. We were told this was fine but to let them know ASAP!

All very reasonable and just a shame she wasnt ready! :roll: :cry:
William
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Thats really unlucky Caledfryn! yours is a really interesting car. I dont think being in mint condition is an issue, I certainly hope not I plan to take my oval next year and its FAR more tatty than yours! :lol:
Its true though, a lot of cars dont get there, we planned to bring ours ( not in a display or anything) but a simple self inflicted glich stopped that. Its a big ask of a car for its first outing since October to be ready to drive 300miles round trip. Well thats my excuse anyway :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
RoRoVw
14 years ago
I think there will always be gaps in a pre-booked display. They are all vehicles over 50 years old and even small faults can prevent a car from setting out or from getting there once on the road. The situation can be helped by anyone wanting to display to book early to secure a place and then to let the organiser know in good time if you can't make it. Obviously it won't work if a breakdown occurs on the way to the show - but that's unavoidable. I'm sure a reserve list system can be devised so that if places become available at the last minute then those on the reserve list can be phoned, even if they are at the show.
Caledfryn
14 years ago

I'm sure a reserve list system can be devised so that if places become available at the last minute then those on the reserve list can be phoned, even if they are at the show.

RoRoVw wrote:

Sounds like a good idea! :d
69project
14 years ago

I can see the reasoning behind it as I really wouldn't want to see heavily modified cars in that area - Strictly vintage for me! I also don't want to see deliberate Hoodride/Ratlook cars in there either.

My car is a bit 'rough around the edges' because it's never been restored. Surely there has to be a better way of vetting cars beforehand than turning people away on the day based on whether or not they meet someones taste criteria.

Maybe a Pre-67 forum display area is the way to go?

Caledfryn wrote:

a pre67 forum display area,been thinking of suggesting something like that myself!
Car less.....
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

a pre67 forum display area,been thinking of suggesting something like that myself!

69project wrote:

What does it actually mean though?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

What does it actually mean though?

pre67vw wrote:

Like the Restowagen lineups?
William
69project
14 years ago
maybe just something to show we are different from the rest,and that non custom is the way to go?

would be good to meet everyone with there cars in a group rather than being spread randomly over a field/car parks

funny handshakes will also be mandatory!

Car less.....
54 Gertie
14 years ago

maybe just something to show we are different from the rest,and that non custom is the way to go?

would be good to meet everyone with there cars in a group rather than being spread randomly over a field/car parks

funny handshakes will also be mandatory!

69project wrote:

The Stockmasons? :lol:

Sounds good really! Not many shows that a lot of people on here go to however.
William
Richard
14 years ago

Can i just Say How Wrong you Are Sir... Keith Vipond is a lovely chap and he works damn hard and for free so we can all enjoy stanford hall . Your car was indeed a rare car But there were others that were rarer . I personally believe that after looking at your car I wouldnt have let it through the Gate . It maybe a rare car at other shows among 70s beetles etc BUT Stanford Hall is Now considered '' The Classic Show of the year '' by many . I had a good look around your 51 . Although it has had some bodywork You have ruined the car by the modified brakes the reproduction wheels and the fact it has a much later 70s engine and clearly a custom exhaust . Not to mention the fact that it looks like the suspension has failed.

You have stood up and bemoaned the fact that Keith wouldnt let you in to the area and the black split on genuine fuch alloys got in . Im sure If we all had a look at your original entry form you neglected to mention that its a ''Hoodride '' car .

As for driving 100 miles You benefitted from Free tickets which after seeing your car Im postive they could have gone to a better vehicle

Im sorry But i go to Stanford Hall to view some of the best classics in the Uk and Europe I think you should stick to the new wave events where im sure you will get more kudos etc etc

KT

Kids taxi wrote:

1. My wheels are NOT reproduction, look again, as they are genuine Fuchs.
2. The engine is actually out of my '63 and not a 70's. It's only in there until I can find a correct 25h.
3. The brakes are only on there until I can refurb the originals.
4. The exhaust is a 60's unit which has different tail pipes to clear the valance.
5. It's not Hoodride, it's an original car which has been lowered, there was no space on the form to say it had been modified.
6. It is a rare car at any show, there are only about 100 11Gs on the register, and I'm sure less than quarter of those have CCs.
7. We camped, so we had to pay for entry.

Everyone likes different cars, I understand that, but Keith could have been a bit nicer in the way he spoke to me & my wife. He has no right to talk down to me, just because my car has been lowered :!:

You say my car has been ruined, but I believe it is better that way than sitting in a barn in bits, which is how I found it - no body else wanted it as it had been for sale for a year. IMO Other cars there had been 'ruined' by having indicators fitted.
I have had said before I will put my car to stock height for Hessisch, if Keith had told me beforehand no modified suspension, then I would have done the same for Stanford.
69project
14 years ago

Sounds good really! Not many shows that a lot of people on here go to however.

54 Gertie wrote:

hmmm,unless we start the ball rolling you never can tell who may turn up! 😛
Car less.....
54 Gertie
14 years ago

hmmm,unless we start the ball rolling you never can tell who may turn up! 😛

69project wrote:

Be worth gauging interest! :d

Put us down! Well, as long as its not concourse! (we cant do that! :lol: )
William
69project
14 years ago
concourse,me neither!

did anyone get pics if a green bug which i saw driving away from inner circle?

looked a bit high with chynky tyres????
Car less.....
harveypj
14 years ago
How about a pre67vw meet schedualed some time during the year to make up for the few and far between vintage shows. Kind of a club meet.
It could be at a pub that does nice food in a nice location.... Kind of like our own little 'Lavenham'8)

Stock......the new custom
mrsherbie
14 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Now THAT is fantastic! look Rob, t-shirt phrase! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

1. My wheels are NOT reproduction, look again, as they are genuine Fuchs.
2. The engine is actually out of my '63 and not a 70's. It's only in there until I can find a correct 25h.
3. The brakes are only on there until I can refurb the originals.
4. The exhaust is a 60's unit which has different tail pipes to clear the valance.
5. It's not Hoodride, it's an original car which has been lowered, there was no space on the form to say it had been modified.
6. It is a rare car at any show, there are only about 100 11Gs on the register, and I'm sure less than quarter of those have CCs.
7. We camped, so we had to pay for entry.

Everyone likes different cars, I understand that, but Keith could have been a bit nicer in the way he spoke to me & my wife. He has no right to talk down to me, just because my car has been lowered :!:

You say my car has been ruined, but I believe it is better that way than sitting in a barn in bits, which is how I found it - no body else wanted it as it had been for sale for a year. IMO Other cars there had been 'ruined' by having indicators fitted.
I have had said before I will put my car to stock height for Hessisch, if Keith had told me beforehand no modified suspension, then I would have done the same for Stanford.

Richard wrote:

If you're new to the hobby then I can understand your position, but if you've been to Stanford Hall before then it should be very apparent what the ethos of the show is - especially the historic display so it doesn't really matter if your wheels are genuine or not. To me, it was a shame that the one car sneaked in with alloys.

It's great that you're going to put the car back to stock height for Hessisch (on stock wheels as well I hope?), shows respect to the organisers in my opinion and I'm sure in that environment far more people will appreciate your car in that guise.

The first time I met Keith was at the Classic Car show at the NEC, very nice bloke and easy to chat to. Didn't get to talk to him at Stanford though, he was busy and did look as though he was in a bit of pain.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Now THAT is fantastic! look Rob, t-shirt phrase! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

It helps to be watching Ashes to Ashes! :wink: :lol:

They were just far from flattering about a yellow 1303 cabriolet! :lol: :roll:
William