tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I must say that our early '55 oval came to us with incomplete later '55 brackets with snowflake lights, so we were compelled to do 'something'.

If I was offered a decent set of OG heart brackets at a fair (whatever that is) price I might be tempted - I'm sure it's not too difficult to jerry-rig stop/tail. I'll have my early parts hawk with me at Stonor this weekend looking out for a set of OG ones! :lol:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
55Kab
14 years ago

RUBBISH.

Thats your opinion not fact.

I drove my 50 to Camberg with 6v and standard bulbs like most of the other attendees to that show and other stock shows like it. Our 356 is the same. Neither have seatbelts either, and that is about the only update that I think is actually important and worth doing, but we wont be doing it to ours.

I think adding the small extra lights/flashers is always the best idea, 'add on's' are always an acceptable progressive modification, as the original car is still stock and intact :d

Its that old argument and guess what, the stockers win every time because whether you want to admit it or not, its a fact floor scraping cars with narrow beams drive like POO! have a ridiculously rubbish turning circle bump and scrape the living hell out of the beam and pan and wear the rear tyres only on their edges! Tyre contact with the road IS HUGELY important from a safety aspect, but that does'nt seem to bother any resto'ers, so dont start preaching about safety!! :shock:

...But if 'looks' are more important than ride quality and safety than thats your choice to go resto.

mrsherbie wrote:

Thought that would prove controversial, I love it! :lol: :lol: :beer:

However, it's not rubbish Anna. Just because you drove to Camberg and back without a problem doesn't make the use of small 6v powered rear lights ideal. As Andrew confirms above, he has already suffered a mild rear ender where I'd lay money on the person behind not recognising he was stopping.

You say you think adding the small extra lights/flashers is the best idea as they are always an acceptable progressive modification, as the original car is still stock and intact. But talking progressive modifications, that's why I think a conversion to 12v electrics and the use of LED's fall into this category.

After all ask yourself why VW themselves moved to 12v and why the use of LED's in rear lightss are now more and more common? The answers speak for themselves. More reliability and an improved safety aspect. If one can combine both of these features with the car looking stock then why would you not do it? We live in the 21st century now! And if you want to drive you car a lot or make journey's longer that just to the local shops it's the way to go.

Not going to go into that boring old stock vs modified arguement only to say please judge my car on it's handling when it's finished and not from what you've experienced before :!:

For your information, although the Cabrio will have a slightly narrowed beam, it will not be floor scraping and I lay money on my tyres having the same or more contact patch than any of your cars :!: :!: Don't judge everyone in the Resto-Cal scene with the same narrow minded view of what YOU think ALL the cars are like....

Back on topic, LED's are brighter than a bulb filament so if you can find a why cheaply to have LED's behind your rear glass and an indicator in your heart that both come on when you brake I'm positive you've got the best chance of someone regonising you're stopping. Couple this with a high level brake light and you should have no problems. :wink:

55Kab
14 years ago
Hi Martin,
I AM concerned about safety, and I want to get an mot asap so need some brake lights you can see!
If there was an 'off the shelf' led solution, I'd go for that but, I don't want to spend forever developing a solution of my own at the moment, just after a quick fix.:d

Well I'm really more interested Malc about stopping someone from driving into the back of the car and anything that helps that has got to be worth improving what VW fitted in the fifties doesn't it:?: :?:

There are a number of electronics websites around that advertise or sorts of 6v/12v LED's applications. I'll have a look around at them and post the links, it may help. :wink:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

he has already suffered a mild rear ender

55Kab wrote:

It would have helped if the idiot in the Mondeo wasnt watching some bloke mow his lawn in stop start traffic! :roll: :wink:

But our tow bar got his radiator well without him knowing it so its all good! :lol:
William
55Kab
14 years ago

But our tow bar got his radiator well without him knowing it so its all good! :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well hopefully that's another Mondeo off the road! :lol: In sure even Anna will agree a modified Beetle is better than a Mondeo!!! :wink: :lol:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Well hopefully that's another Mondeo off the road! :lol: In sure even Anna will agree a modified Beetle is better than a Mondeo!!! :wink: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

He was leaking coolant and oil, he could only have made it a matter of miles! 😎 :lol:

Oh, and the trusty 54 year old Volkswagen got use home after hammering the rocker cover back on! :wink:
William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago

55Kab wrote:

Only just!!! :wink: I don't think Blackpool illuminations mounted on the back of you car is gonna help if the driver behind you is asleep!

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
14 years ago
I'm paranoid about being rear ended in one of my ovals... forget the car it hurts like hell!

I was rear ended in a Golf estate 6 1/2 years ago... nothing to do with the car just the numpty lorry driver that hit me...

Then we were rear ended again this friday in wifes golf cabrio... again... nothing to do with the car... just a crap driver... and me with another bad back :cry:

I fitted this to the irish oval...

UserPostedImage

(below the bumper)

yep it looks horible... but everyone who has followed me has told me that it is a god send... and thats from people that know about heart brake lights and semaphores...

Its not origanal... but I'd rather that than a rear end shunt again! 😞

julian
www.vwoval.co.uk
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Nice to see you've "aged" the number plates! :wink:
William
14 years ago

Nice to see you've "aged" the number plates! :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Don't mention it... I'm already in trouble from the wife for ruining perfectly good plates! :shock:
www.vwoval.co.uk
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Don't mention it... I'm already in trouble from the wife for ruining perfectly good plates! :shock:

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

What did you do, paint the whole thing satin then give it a quick sand? Looks good, they were a bit to "new" really! :lol:

T'was a pity you couldnt keep the irish plates, they were lovely! :cry:
William
55Kab
14 years ago

Its not origanal... but I'd rather that than a rear end shunt again!

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Exactly my point Julian. A modified car here will ALWAYS (hear that Anna! :lol::beer: ) beat a standard one. As you say, doesn't make up for bad drivers but at least any mod to the brake lights will provide some degree of added protection.

Question though - I guess it was makeshift after the Golf shunt (sorry to hear by the way, hope you both ok) but why under the bumper? I reckon a high intensity long LED light in the back window would ultimately be the best option.

14 years ago

Exactly my point Julian. A modified car here will ALWAYS (hear that Anna! :lol::beer: ) beat a standard one. As you say, doesn't make up for bad drivers but at least any mod to the brake lights will provide some degree of added protection.

Question though - I guess it was makeshift after the Golf shunt (sorry to hear by the way, hope you both ok) but why under the bumper? I reckon a high intensity long LED light in the back window would ultimately be the best option.

55Kab wrote:

The light went on the car before the run down to the Volksworld show... I only need to be hit in the rear once to know!

Its under the rear bumper as it is hiden away... wiring was easy and I didnt want anything obscuring the little view I had out the rear window... it was only put on as a temporary... but has proven worth keeping...
www.vwoval.co.uk