VW Stan
  • VW Stan
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I've read on other threads that several people have fitted these.

Where can I get some from and how much do they cost?

Cheers,
Malc

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I got mine from a chap called Peter Nielsen. They were 75euros plus 10euros shipping to the UK. I'll PM you with his email address shortly.  1387580.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1387581.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1387582.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1387583.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago
Thanks Andrew,
That sounds quite reasonable, I'll drop Peter an email.

:d

mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi,
My friend and I bought some of these for our ovals (a '55 and a '54) and to be blunt they're a complete waste of money. For a start they don't fit properly; the horizontal bracket which the tail-light housing screws to is far too low so it's impossible to align. The holes in the contacts posts are far too small for the bared cable ends and had to be drilled out. Because these posts are just very thin-walled hollow brass and are screwed to the brackets they break easily and strip their threads. In the end I had to use most of my old brackets and just drill out the twin filament bulb holders from the new ones and pop-rivet them to the old brackets.
In my opinion it would be better to find a twin-filament bulb holder from a later VW or buy some from Auto Electrical Supplies for about 75p each (which have the correct screw terminals) and modify them to fit on the oval brackets.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago
That doesn't sound good!

Did you have similar problems with yours Andrew? :? :?

54 Gertie
14 years ago
We have had issues with ours. They have to be contorted into shape and the screw that holds on the shell does not want to sit squarely. Also, on 6v with the indicator under a red lense (heart) it is extremely hard to see it in the daytime.

We plan on mounting seperate indicators on all four corners becasue they are really useless as an indicator. This is even after installing relays to give the flasher relays a good 6v power source, not through the 50 year old semaphore switch! :wink:

However, we did not have the problems of the wires not wanting to sit in the termninals, perhaps they were changed after the flaw was found? :?: One problem we do have is that the captive nut that the screw for the shell holds onto came lose and I am having to Araldite it into palce otherwise the shell cannot be tighted on! :roll:

Sorry, these are all quite big pictures but they have to be to show the detail! :wink: :oops:

Here is a shot of the bracket on the car. This is the one with the broken off captive nut hence why the shell is off! :lol:

UserPostedImage

This shows where the captive nut has become lose. The red arrow shows it held on only by the screw! :wink:

UserPostedImage

This photo shows the housing on the other side, on and complete. However it took over half and hour of a lot of force to get it sat this well due to the bracket being a bit big on one side, the means that where the arrow is pointing you can see it not sat perfectly in the seal! :roll: :? UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
This is a video of ours to show how dim the heart indicators are. This is however with the original red lenses (you can get orange, yuk!) which wont help! :wink: :?

This is having watched it a bit kind to it really and when your in a car behind im sure they are about as useless as semaphores! :roll: :lol:

William
GKL 7
14 years ago
Don't sound great to me.
Gertie you have a colour co-ordinated wheelie bin:wink:
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Don't sound great to me.
Gertie you have a colour co-ordinated wheelie bin:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yes, the council came round with different colour bins to suit the car on the drive! :wink:
William
55Kab
14 years ago
Have to say this made me laugh! :lol:

All you buffers are so keen on originality that you are willing to jeopordise the safety of your car and it's passengers.

It's examples like this which are prime cases of where a modified car beats a standard one. Heart lights and 6v were fine in the fifties but or course, they're not today and anyone that thinks they are is kidding themselves. Besides the obvious upgrate to 12v which would help the illuminosity put out by the lights, why don't you change the whole of the rear face to LED's???

Look here as an example: (and I think this guy did it in 6v!)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265165&highlight=led 

and here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240612&highlight=led 

It's what I'm doing to the Cabrio. For looks I want to keep the hearts, of course, but will make them as safe as possible. The rear face will have LED's, the heart will have a 21w indicator bulb and both the rear face and heart will eluminate together depending on whether you're braking, indicating etc.

Think outside the box guys! :lol: :lol:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

All you buffers are so keen on originality that you are willing to jeopordise the safety of your car and it's passengers.

It's examples like this which are prime cases of where a modified car beats a standard one. Heart lights and 6v were fine in the fifties but or course, they're not today and anyone that thinks they are is kidding themselves. Besides the obvious upgrate to 12v which would help the illuminosity put out by the lights, why don't you change the whole of the rear face to LED's???

and here:

It's what I'm doing to the Cabrio. For looks I want to keep the hearts, of course, but will make them as safe as possible. The rear face will have LED's, the heart will have a 21w indicator bulb and both the rear face and heart will eluminate together depending on whether you're braking, indicating etc.

55Kab wrote:

We though of LEDs and may still do it but with the red lenses it doesnt really work! And to protect the car and its passengers, as said above, we plan on fitting small indicators on all four corners! :wink:

UserPostedImage

We have got 6v LEDs in the trailer wiring and the tail lights have never been a big issue as we are always towing a trailer! :roll: :lol:

And, um, standard cars beat modified ones! Fact! 😳 :lol:

How will you be indicating at the front? :wink:

Anyway, im off out in a minute to go and battle with the right hand side heart and pray to god that the Araldite has set! :lol:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Anyway, im off out in a minute to go and battle with the right hand side heart and pray to god that the Araldite has set! :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Please dear god dont buy these! :twisted: I just tried for the fifth time and the Araldite wont stick and there is no way of getting the heart on! :cry: :roll:

Superglue anyone? :shock:
William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago

and here:

55Kab wrote:

Hi Martin,
I AM concerned about safety, and I want to get an mot asap so need some brake lights you can see!
If there was an 'off the shelf' led solution, I'd go for that but, I don't want to spend forever developing a solution of my own at the moment, just after a quick fix.

mrsherbie
14 years ago

It's examples like this which are prime cases of where a modified car beats a standard one.

55Kab wrote:

RUBBISH.

Thats your opinion not fact.

I drove my 50 to Camberg with 6v and standard bulbs like most of the other attendees to that show and other stock shows like it. Our 356 is the same. Neither have seatbelts either, and that is about the only update that I think is actually important and worth doing, but we wont be doing it to ours.

No our lights are not particularly bright :lol: but thats just an old car for you and personal choices over how correct you want your car to be or not. Nothing more.

At the same time I dont think the slightly modified light brackets are exactly deviating from stock that much as they dont make anything look different visually. I dont want them myself, but I can see perfectly well why lots of people do.

I think adding the small extra lights/flashers is always the best idea, 'add on's' are always an acceptable progressive modification, as the original car is still stock and intact :d

Its that old argument and guess what, the stockers win every time because whether you want to admit it or not, its a fact floor scraping cars with narrow beams drive like POO! have a ridiculously rubbish turning circle bump and scrape the living hell out of the beam and pan and wear the rear tyres only on their edges! Tyre contact with the road IS HUGELY important from a safety aspect, but that does'nt seem to bother any resto'ers, so dont start preaching about safety!! :shock:

...But if 'looks' are more important than ride quality and safety than thats your choice to go resto.

All I do know is that my 50 just flew through its MOT again with old original stock mechanicals.

You really should know better by now, especially posting this here on this forum :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I dont want them myself,

mrsherbie wrote:

Cant say I blame you after the trouble ive had! :?

However, we plan to make the heart brake light, and the lower lense brake/tail when we put on the external indicators. This was there is no chance of getting rear ended, again! :roll: :wink:

William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago

Cant say I blame you after the trouble ive had! :?

However, we plan to make the heart brake light, and the lower lense brake/tail when we put on the external indicators. This was there is no chance of getting rear ended, again! :roll: :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

That's what I'm planning too, with the addition of a high-level brake light in the rear window!

54 Gertie
14 years ago

That's what I'm planning too, with the addition of a high-level brake light in the rear window!

VW Stan wrote:

Thats a good idea, suppose it could be made removable with a long cable and suction cups! :wink:
William
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago

Thats a good idea, suppose it could be made removable with a long cable and suction cups! :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

As if by magic!

https://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm 

:wink:

UserPostedImage

tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I couldn't really spend much time composing a proper post here earlier today because I was at work! :oops:

I think everything has already pretty much been covered by now. The quality of the dual-filament brackets is not perfect, but when you consider the time that must have been spent making them versus the 75euro price tag then they are pretty good value IMO.

I'm with the "majority" here... use them for the dual filament stop/tail light and supplement the stop light with a secondary bulb in the heart section. As an indicator, which was my original intention for these, I seriously doubt their value. I'm going to stick my neck out a little and say that the neat aftermarket amber lenses, offered on here for a very reasonable sum I hasten to add, do appeal to me but I don't think that changing the 18W heart flasher to amber is enough to grab the attention of today's road users. :(

There are LED "festoon" 6v LED stop/tail lamps available. I had previously dismissd them because the majority of our use is as a sideways-viewed trailer lamp and the only 6v LED lamps were designed to be used end-on. I'll see if I can dig out links and post them here because they should be handy for rearward-facing heart applications.

Malc: I love the idea of a high-vis LED brake warning light. As Will pointed out, we were very mildly rear-ended in our '55 last summer and I still get flashbacks to this day while heavy braking! :shock: I'm thinking about rigging some Heath-Robinson affair that runs from a pair of AA batteries wirelessly hooked up to the brake light system. Having said that, it might just be easier running a wire from the brake lights - open to suggestions on how to run the wire! :d
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
14 years ago
I've ordered some 6 volt LED 380 bulbs, standard twin filament bulbs and bulb holders and, as the 'off the shelf' solution brackets don't seem too good, I'm gonna have a go at making my own (if I can find some cheap-ish original brackets or repros).