14 years ago
Jealous of Martins zinc plated Kamax bolts? :wink: 😎

UserPostedImage
William
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
nope always my intention, just thought they were clear zinc plated, not black.

anyone know the colour?
GKL 7
14 years ago
Martin's should be black.
Don't know about a modern car like yours:wink:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
You know what. You can never get a straight answer on this forum. :roll:

Coincidentally, I've never aspired to own a pre 60 vw, i love my 62 and 67 bugs- would never swap them for any pre 60 vw.

So back to the topic, what colour should my kamax bolts be plated?
GKL 7
14 years ago

Coincidentally, I've never aspired to own a pre 60 vw, i love my 62 and 67 bugs- would never swap them for any pre 60 vw.

Robb wrote:

You're Crazy and don't deserve a straight answer.:wink:
But i'd say Black.
If you get stuck,i know a place in B'ham can do them.
harveypj
14 years ago
What colour were the ends Rob? where they poked through into the front boot space.
I guess the weathering would be minimal and would be pretty original colour seeing as your car has survived so well. being only 43years old and all:roll:
Zinc to my knowledge is only ever a grey/dark grey.
I'm not sure what the original finish would have been, mine were very black in colour. similatr to 'oil blacking' colour, this is a protective coating you could achieve by heating the bolts up to a dull blue/grey colour (not red/orange hot)and then quench in oil, remove straight away, wipe of excess leaving a black protective finish.
(cheap but effective)
Stock......the new custom
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago

i know a place in B'ham can do them.

'50 Karmann wrote:

yer id be interested in knowing who that is, thanks 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago

What colour were the ends Rob? where they poked through into the front boot space.
I guess the weathering would be minimal and would be pretty original colour seeing as your car has survived so well. being only 43years old and all:roll:
Zinc to my knowledge is only ever a grey/dark grey.
I'm not sure what the original finish would have been, mine were very black in colour. similatr to 'oil blacking' colour, this is a protective coating you could achieve by heating the bolts up to a dull blue/grey colour (not red/orange hot)and then quench in oil, remove straight away, wipe of excess leaving a black protective finish.
(cheap but effective)

harveypj wrote:

Hi Pete,

unfortunately, in the last 10 years or so, the previous owner has obviously had the wings repainted, and replaced all the original bolts with stainless, so i have no idea what the og ones were. I always assumed clear zinc?

thats oil blacking procedure, is interesting, thanks for the info 🙂
55Kab
14 years ago

Jealous of Martins zinc plated Kamax bolts? :wink: 😎

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol:

That made me laugh because Rob is known as "Mr Kamax" and it was fear of him checking my car that I ensured all my main bolts are Kamax!!! :wink:

55Kab
14 years ago

Martin's should be black.
Don't know about a modern car like yours:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Well I've got a number of period B+W photos where completed early Oval bodies are being lowered onto completed floorpans and the bolts look black with silvery looking washers so that's why I decided to go with black for wing bolts.

I don't know about later car's but I would think the bolts would have been black too and even if they weren't I don't think you can go wrong fitting black bolts. :wink:

mooney3019
14 years ago
my 65 has silver kamax bolts and they are original if that helps, live just down the road from u
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks guys, silver it is then, although im gonna wait till stanford and check out Roy Wilsons 67.

As for Mr Kamax martin, im not sure why i am referred to as that, because ive never ever restored any or swapped them out :? foxy over exaggerating me thinks 😉 i was gonna just put stainless on this car, until Mr Attewell said it would let it down :twisted:

thanks for the info guys 😎
55Kab
14 years ago

As for Mr Kamax martin, im not sure why i am referred to as that, because ive never ever restored any or swapped them out :? foxy over exaggerating me thinks 😉 i was gonna just put stainless on this car, until Mr Attewell said it would let it down :twisted:

Robb wrote:

Only joking Rob, I already planned for Kamax wing bolts :wink:

Am using a stainless one-on-one pan to body kit though :shock: :lol:

GKL 7
14 years ago
Same place in B'ham can Chemically black stainless steel,i did this on my floor pan washers and bolts.

But why bother what colour when you're going to coat them in Waxoil:roll:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
im not waxoil'ing my arches.

so whats the company details?

thanks 🙂
harveypj
14 years ago

But why bother what colour when you're going to coat them in Waxoil:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Can't possibly imagine.

rebuilt 027.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
for future reference, 62- cars appear to have clear zinc plated wing bolts and black oxide coated pan bolts....this pic is from a 64 bug

UserPostedImage

:d
cupa65
14 years ago
Sould they not be painted the colour of the car? I did find some wing bolts from my 75 with factory green paint. It also looks like my 65 was more than likely painted with the wings attached! I re-plated the bolts BZP on the 65. Forget Waxoil use Valvoline Techtyl it comes on various varieties including amber and black!
54 Gertie
14 years ago

for future reference, 62- cars appear to have clear zinc plated wing bolts and black oxide coated pan bolts....this pic is from a 64 bug

UserPostedImage

:d

Robb wrote:

I had a look at some of the original wing bolts on my '63 shed, and they all appear to be clear as well. Although most are now a manky shade of brown.

They arent Kamax however. Another OEM to VW at the time I imagine.
William