Last Triumph
13 years ago
Took the beam outside for the final clean up and degrease using brake cleaner and a tooth brush. I also removed the old and perished bump stops. New ones will be fitted when the car is back on it's wheel.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It was then time to break out the wax sealer. The beam will get three coats in total to make sure it is well and truly sealed from the elements.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Now was the time to refit the cleaned steering box and pitman arm. I copper greased all the fasteners for the next bloke that might have to take it apart in years to come and fitted brand new tab lock washers for security. Once this was done, it too got a bath in the sealant. it's shiny because it's still wet in the pics.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

In the mean time, I've sent the steering knuckles away to be fitted and reamed by AlexB who has all the right tools and experience to do a perfect job using my new German Bilstein king and link pin sets.

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
If you recall, my rear engine bay tinware seal was long past it's best, so I ordered the best quality one I could find and decided to replace it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Good job I did, as when I removed the old one, it turns out the bottom layer was far worse than the top...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

After cleaning the channel that the seal sits in with a tooth brush and solvent, I tried to fit the new seal which turned out to be quite a task as it needs to be fed from one end and as soon as you get more than about one third the way round, it just has too much grip and doesn't want to go any further.

I solved this issue with a good squirt of silicone spray in the channel and this helped it slide in with no fuss at all - miracle cure! Once installed, I coated, fed and protected it with some AutoGlym bumper care which is awesome stuff. I also used this to clean up the original one at the front of the engine bay which was still in excellent condition.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Much better!

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Kids taxi
13 years ago
Im still enjoying this restoration thread LT , its certainly an inspiration to me to get back into the garage :wink:

KT
Im too Old for This
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Im still enjoying this restoration.....

Kids taxi wrote:

Me too! :lol:

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Dakota
13 years ago
Hi all
if you can't lay your hands on slippery silicone products go to your chemist and buy some KY jelly it doesn't do rubber stuff any harm, if fact its pretty inert all round so it has many uses getting stubborn rubbers into place, so to speak...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi all
if you can't lay your hands on slippery silicone products go to your chemist and buy some KY jelly it doesn't do rubber stuff any harm, if fact its pretty inert all round so it has many uses getting stubborn rubbers into place, so to speak...

Dakota wrote:

Indeed! :lol:

I'm just trying to imagine the flack I'd get if I'd posted a pic of KY on here..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, it's true what they say about KY..... Best 'labour' saving device known to man.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rattletrap
13 years ago
I was wondering if you were planning to go as far as removing the torsion leaves from their tubes, Last Triumph.

I think that there may be a problem with that on my 1950 split, (another one, not Rattletrap). There doesn't seem to be much play in the front suspension on the driver's (LHD) side. If the car passes over a pothole for example, there's a solid jolt from that wheel. I am expecting that something has seized here.:?

Anyone here had seized torsion leaves:?:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I was wondering if you were planning to go as far as removing the torsion leaves from their tubes, Last Triumph.

I think that there may be a problem with that on my 1950 split, (another one, not Rattletrap). There doesn't seem to be much play in the front suspension on the driver's (LHD) side. If the car passes over a pothole for example, there's a solid jolt from that wheel. I am expecting that something has seized here.:?

Anyone here had seized torsion leaves:?:

Rattletrap wrote:

There is nice smooth movement from all four trailing arms, so I'll be leaving it well alone.

Still chasing parts down so bare with me whilst progress is slow...

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
With just a couple of hours spare tonight I tackled a couple of soppy little jobs that just needed doing at some point.

One of the brake line grommets where the brake pipe goes through the front of the frame head was heavily perished so I decided to replace it with a nice new one.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The brake pipe isn't as rusty as it looks and will soon clean up with an abrasive pad when I get round to doing the brakes.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the front beam upper body mount fixtures and their grubby condition so set about giving them a little bit of a clean up using all that I've learned over this project....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And here they are back exactly where they came from and in the correct orientation ready for the installation of the front beam once I've cleaned and protected the front inner wings and behind the spare wheel well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Here's a question for you...

On my drivers seat, a couple of areas of stitching has come away from the piping on the edge of the seat back and squab - about 6" in both cases.

The actual material is not torn and the piping is still intact.

I just want it stitched back together so it looks like it was never broken.

I guess I'll need to remove the seat and take it somewhere to be done.

Is there anyone (quality, who knows what they're doing and will do an amazing job) in the North West who would be able to do this for me without leaving a trail of destruction behind them?

Cheers

I can supply...
PM me for details...
mooney3019
13 years ago
I know someone in bromsgrove if thats any good about an hour from you, she my 63 a few years ago same thing, piping and material good but had just come apart
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I know someone in bromsgrove if thats any good about an hour from you, she my 63 a few years ago same thing, piping and material good but had just come apart

mooney3019 wrote:

Could you forward me her details please?

What was the cost and how was the quality of the repair?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
cupa65
13 years ago
Sorry for being a party pooper but I have a question. You have blasted the beam etc in lovely amber stuff leaving the slight corrosion showing. Yet the body to frame mounts and bolts have been subjected to the vinegar torture. The result is new looking fixings. Why?

Ps did you have a serial number on your beam?  IMG_1835.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Sorry for being a party pooper but I have a question. You have blasted the beam etc in lovely amber stuff leaving the slight corrosion showing. Yet the body to frame mounts and bolts have been subjected to the vinegar torture. The result is new looking fixings. Why?

Ps did you have a serial number on your beam?

cupa65 wrote:

No vinegar involved!!!

The rubbers just cleaned up like new, so no worries there.
The bolts and washers were heavily corroded so I wire brushed them to get the heaviest deposits off. This left them 70% shiny and bright with a patchy odd looking finish so I just finished them off as there wasn't enough 'patina' remaining to save.

Lets keep it real though - only a tiny fraction of the washer edge will be seen, if at all ass it's in a burried recess, and of course the bolt heads which once covered in amber wax will look the same as the parts of the beam were the paint has come off.

:beer:

I'll have to have a look for a serial number... there's something there but it was going dark when I was cleaning it so I didn;t get a good look.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago

Here's a question for you...

On my drivers seat, a couple of areas of stitching has come away from the piping on the edge of the seat back and squab - about 6" in both cases.

The actual material is not torn and the piping is still intact.

I just want it stitched back together so it looks like it was never broken.

I guess I'll need to remove the seat and take it somewhere to be done.

Is there anyone (quality, who knows what they're doing and will do an amazing job) in the North West who would be able to do this for me without leaving a trail of destruction behind them?

Cheers

Last Triumph wrote:

There's a lad:lol: called Chris works with Steve Gilbert at one on one restorations in Burnley does some very nice work,and knows more than enough,to treat your seats with due respect.
cupa65
13 years ago
Glad you've kept the single master cylinder. Did the same on the 65, as I wanted to keep the original brake pipes.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Glad you've kept the single master cylinder. Did the same on the 65, as I wanted to keep the original brake pipes.

cupa65 wrote:

That's not the original one though, that's a NOS item.
I'll rebuild the original one when I'm bored to keep as a spare.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

There's a lad:lol: called Chris works with Steve Gilbert at one on one restorations in Burnley does some very nice work,and knows more than enough,to treat your seats with due respect.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Anything to do with One-on-one is fine with me.

Steve is one of the VERY few people I'd ever trust with one of my cars.

I'll drop him a line, thanks.

Is he contacted via one-on-one?

I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago
Yes,Steve will be able to put you in touch with Chris.
cupa65
13 years ago
I have some original painted wings that i would like repairing(rusty edges) Will One on One take that kind of stuff on?