54 Gertie
13 years ago
I wouldn't bother with repro semaphores. The build quality is so bad that they are not really aligned properly.

After many hours of bending, and wedging little bits of paper in all the gaps, I get them to work reasonably well. Then fitted some original ones they flew up!

William
Andy Sparks
13 years ago

I wouldn't bother with repro semaphores. The build quality is so bad that they are not really aligned properly.

After many hours of bending, and wedging little bits of paper in all the gaps, I get them to work reasonably well. Then fitted some original ones they flew up!

54 Gertie wrote:

not sure i want to wreck an og set, will look for a cab set i think
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

not sure i want to wreck an og set, will look for a cab set i think

Andy Sparks wrote:

Don´t do it Andy.... just don´t.... last ones I saw were 1000euro (and I swear they were repro)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago

a "15" chassis number

JD wrote:

No such thing as a "15" chassis number. As you mentioned, apart from the lack of jacking points there is absolutely no difference (inc chassis nos) between a saloon and cabrio floorpan.

55Kab
13 years ago

Don´t do it Andy.... just don´t.... last ones I saw were 1000euro (and I swear they were repro)

JD wrote:

Depends how original you want it Andy as the correct items will enhance it's value, plus it'll stop me saying "nice semas, pity they're not the correct one's" :d :d

As said on the email, congrat's on getting hold of this, it certainly deserves some love.

Was talking to Roger Pascoe owner of 54 RHD UXK 84 about it and he came up with this photo taken at Stonor Park 2002:

DYT 951C p1 Stonor Park 2002 a.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

No such thing as a "15" chassis number. As you mentioned, apart from the lack of jacking points there is absolutely no difference (inc chassis nos) between a saloon and cabrio floorpan.

55Kab wrote:

Bit of brain fade on my part. The 1969 Cabrio I was looking at last weekend had a chassis number that started with 15. The Oval should say Typ 15 on the vin plate.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Depends how original you want it Andy as the correct items will enhance it's value, plus it'll stop me saying "nice semas, pity they're not the correct one's" :d :d

55Kab wrote:

I´d rather spend the 925 euro I saved on fixing the rest of the car. Pukka semaphores are far down the list.
UserPostedImage
Andy Sparks
13 years ago
I cannot afford to throw money at it till i have earned it, so i will buy a set of vert lenses, and a pair of fake semaphores for the time being. It is 12v at the moment i think.

It will be correct one day, just look at my other car. But with the availibility of bits may take some time. Just want semaphores now.

UserPostedImage

Cheers for the stoner picture
Rattletrap
13 years ago
That's a smashing Beetle. :beer:

Will try to post some info later today regarding the Cabrio.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Found this pic of the car while I owned it, Andy.

Note the Maynards transfers on the side panels. I'll send you the address of the advertising agency that the car was bought from. They are on the web, so maybe still in business. Wonder if they may have pictures left from the ad campaign – back in 1997 though. I got the car later that year. I vaguely remember Maynard packets having a picture of this and the red '70 on them.:mellow:

It was a bit of a head-turner and generally in nice condition. Having a '65 chassis was the killer though for me, it just felt too 'modern' driving. This will be fantastic if you get a '55 pan back with it.:smile:

I took the awful yellow plastic plates off for the picture I think (about 13 years ago now). 😶  VW '55 Cabrio.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
69project
13 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

they are indeed awful which is a shame,i had them on the 51 as a stop gap but one would never line up and the other one fell to pieces and had to be exchanged

good idea poorly executed
Car less.....
55Kab
13 years ago

Found this pic of the car while I owned it, Andy.

This will be fantastic if you get a '55 pan back with it

Rattletrap wrote:

Out of interest and prior to Andy getting hold of more info, what makes us think this is a 55?

Clearly the pan doesn't help but can you shed any more light on body year John?

54 Gertie
13 years ago

Out of interest and prior to Andy getting hold of more info, what makes us think this is a 55?

Clearly the pan doesn't help but can you shed any more light on body year John?

55Kab wrote:

Guessing the lack or starter button and ribbed doors make it a '54/'55. It might still have the body number even.
William
55Kab
13 years ago

Guessing the lack or starter button and ribbed doors make it a '54/'55. It might still have the body number even.

54 Gertie wrote:

Agreed and I think Andy's urgently trying to find out if the body stamp is there together with the OG VIN plate which should provide the OG chassis no.

I just wondered why John thought it was a 55.

54 Gertie
13 years ago
Knowing the original chassis number would be great. I'm sure with enough looking you'd be able to find something pretty damn close.

I think someone on The Samba found an engine that was about 100 numbers (so a matter of hours really) different to their cars original block. Quite something really.
William
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I just wondered why John thought it was a 55.

55Kab wrote:

Word of mouth at the time I think, Martin. No starter button too, then there's the doors....:?
55Kab
13 years ago

Word of mouth at the time I think, Martin. No starter button too, then there's the doors....:?

Rattletrap wrote:

I agree, ribbed doors and batwing indicate 53-55 but the doors and steering wheel could have been fitted later.

Unlikely but given the change of pan and 65 on quarterlights anything could have happened so it could be a 56-57. It's just so interesting to learn its story as I'm really hopeful it turns out to be a genuine UK RHD early car.

Andy Sparks
13 years ago

I agree, ribbed doors and batwing indicate 53-55 but the doors and steering wheel could have been fitted later.

Unlikely but given the change of pan and 65 on quarterlights anything could have happened so it could be a 56-57. It's just so interesting to learn its story as I'm really hopeful it turns out to be a genuine UK RHD early car.

55Kab wrote:

doors could have been changed, but doubt the inner rear ribbed ones would of, that is what sold it for me really
55Kab
13 years ago

doors could have been changed, but doubt the inner rear ribbed ones would of, that is what sold it for me really

Andy Sparks wrote:

Very true Andy. I couldn't quite see a rib on the inside quarter panels in the pics you posted.

55Kab
13 years ago
Just had a thought Andy. Fingers crossed you may be lucky and find like Dave Ball did the sema's were there all along:
 KabMay08asbought1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  KabMay08asbought132.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.