Poll Question: Would you like the forum to use real names (Poll is closed)

Total: 30

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago

I think its a good idea, I wanted Kev as my username but someone already had it. How do I change to something else eg. KevM or Kevin or KevinM ?

Kev wrote:

Changed it to Kev - it wasn't taken :?

Did you want loads of username change requests Rob ? :d

Kev wrote:

Nope... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
11 years ago
Harmless throw-away remarks on the web become a source of arguement and bitterness at shows and meets, creating splits (no, not split-windows) within the vintage VW scene.

Wasn't there an on-line fight here once with rather nasty threats made?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
11 years ago
With a real names policy I think that strict moderation would be needed 24/7, and I'd imagine that the caretaker here has enough to do. Without instant deletions or quick shutdowns I think that there is the possibily of defamation claims arising at some stage.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
11 years ago
Further to my last two posts (sorry I keep thinking of things after), you need to remember that most all the guests (lurkers) are probably people who wish to remain annonymous and can't vote anyway. So this poll is not really an accurate account.

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

Wasn't there an on-line fight here once with rather nasty threats made?

Old Blue wrote:

There was, but these people knew each others names and had also met previously. So usernames were not an issue.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

Without instant deletions or quick shutdowns I think that there is the possibily of defamation claims arising at some stage.

Old Blue wrote:

Again, this doesn't change with trying to hide your identity. If you're hoping that your safe from slander laws because no one knows who you are then you're mistaken.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

Further to my last two posts (sorry I keep thinking of things after), you need to remember that most all the guests (lurkers) are probably people who wish to remain annonymous and can't vote anyway. So this poll is not really an accurate account.

Old Blue wrote:

Lurkers can remain lurkers so this won't affect them anyway.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

There was, but these people knew each others names and had also met previously. So usernames were not an issue.

pre67vw wrote:

depends it they had a problem or hated eachother before of after joining.
Would not put my ID on any web site facebook or what ever.If peolpe dont know true namesthen it dont get personal. It should be left as choice or why do sites allow for usernames.You can get on facebook with anickname or made-up andthat seems to grow and grow.They dont root aroundlooking for who you are:thumbdn:
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
GKL 7
11 years ago

They dont root aroundlooking for who you are:thumbdn:

Cool Splitty wrote:

I don't think Rob could be bothered for one second to "root" around for information on anyone.
The question was would it help making THIS site a more friendly place.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

depends it they had a problem or hated eachother before of after joining.

Cool Splitty wrote:

The point is that in this instance they had a an issue while knowing exactly who each other was, so no one was hiding behind a username.

You can get on facebook with anickname or made-up andthat seems to grow and grow.They dont root aroundlooking for who you are:thumbdn:

Cool Splitty wrote:

There's a big difference between facebook and a forum, when you post on facebook you can set it up so that only friends see what you post - you're never going to get into an argument with someone you don't know (unless you add loads of friends you don't know...)

As I said previously, first name basis is fine for public posts if you are concerned about privacy, with only moderators knowing your full name. The aim is to make things a little more friendly.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

The point is that in this instance they had a an issue while knowing exactly who each other was, so no one was hiding behind a username.
The aim is to make things a little more friendly.

pre67vw wrote:

Yes and if they were hid behind a user name and didnot now who each was...:wink:
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
surrey67
11 years ago
Yes Rob there is a big difference facebook & the forum facebook is poo hence ive deactived my account do i really want to know how many times someone's gone barefoot running this week ? Do people really think im interested oh ffs get a life lol ( FB rant over )
1967 Westfalia SO42

11 years ago
Also, it might stop people thinking that usernames are disposable. Some people have a little argument with someone and then come back with a new username 😳
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
surrey67
11 years ago

Also, it might stop people thinking that usernames are disposable. Some people have a little argument with someone and then come back with a new username 😳

pre67vw wrote:

True enough i know on the SSVC Forum theres alot of people with 3 or 4 diff user names 😳
1967 Westfalia SO42

11 years ago

Yes Robb there is a big difference facebook & the forum facebook is poo hence ive deactived my account do i really want to know how many times someone's gone barefoot running this week ? Do people really think im interested oh ffs get a life lol ( FB rant over )

surrey67 wrote:

I like facebook, it's great for staying in touch with people in far flung places that I only ever see at Hessisch or Camberg :thumbup: Once you hide all the annoying game crap that comes up - no I don't want to do anything on your farm thanks... :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
surrey67
11 years ago

I like facebook, it's great for staying in touch with people in far flung places that I only ever see at Hessisch or Camberg :thumbup: Once you hide all the annoying game crap that comes up - no I don't want to do anything on your farm thanks... :lol:

pre67vw wrote:

hmm perhaps i need a lesson in how to get rid of annoying fb things then see you @ Lav Rob
you can teach me, problem i find tho is when you delete the really borringgg ppl who lets be honest you dont really want to be friends with , well not in the real life they get all pissy lol sorry im straying off topic :oops:
1967 Westfalia SO42

11 years ago

when you delete the really borringgg ppl who lets be honest you dont really want to be friends with

surrey67 wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did you delete me? :rofl:

Anyway... enough off topic :wink:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
surrey67
11 years ago

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did you delete me? :rofl:

Anyway... enough off topic :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Actually Rob your the one person i wouldn't delete mate :thumbup:
1967 Westfalia SO42

So at this point i think we all know who the two NO votes belong to.:wink:
Rob are you just interested in opinion or will the result of the poll mean a change?
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

Rob are you just interested in opinion or will the result of the poll mean a change?

GKL 7 wrote:

I like to think that although it's not a total democracy I'm not going to change something if its really unpopular with the regulars..
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW