Poll Question: Would you like the forum to use real names (Poll is closed)

Total: 30

Sunroof53
11 years ago

Friendly people help for sure but anonymity encourages un-politeness.

pre67vw wrote:

Do you think this forum has reputation for being unfriendly ?iwas wondering what prompted the poll.My own view on politeness ,friendlyness and honesty is that it's down to personality, we all have a common interest but personalitys are out of any forums control .surely that's the responsibility you take when you create a public forum.Bit like having a party,you invite people and some you know ,some you don't .theres an element of risk but it's your houseparty so you make sure everyone has a good time, but like most party's there is always some mess to clean up along the way.

Mike
Sunroof53
11 years ago

I have been resisting the temptation to post much on my restoration efforts as I do not see many others doing it and I did not know if my slow anature efforts would be welcomed. (In reality the Ascort is a re-bodied coachbuilt and not a pure VW beetle and maybe of interest to many.) I know that I would like to see and read more about restoration efforts, the problems and how they were overcome. Not just photos of final results.

ascort wrote:

I understand this and had /still have reservations about posting work online .There are a lot of positives though if you post on the right forum .Amature efforts can soon turn into more professional ones with the guidance of other members especially if its the first time you are doing something .LTs oval was a good example of this .Somtimes it's best to start a thread and say what your going to do before you do it as there is a good chance it's been done before so you learn from their mistakes.if you don't post you will never know how much better things could have been.

Mike.j

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago

Do you think this forum has reputation for being unfriendly ?iwas wondering what prompted the poll.

Sunroof53 wrote:

I think a number of things prompted the poll. Firstly, the hassle I get behind the scenes on a monthly basis - things ranging from thread deletion requests, threats of legal action etc. Secondly, seeing posts on theSamba from people who used to post here but don't anymore, making me wonder if it's worth all the grief. And thirdly, signing up to a new forum that has a real names policy that seems to be very helpful and friendly.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

I´d counter by saying that anonymity encourages honesty. I´m far more likely to give you an honest opinion, or tell you anonymously what I think of an individual, or company if I know I won´t be threatened, or blacklisted or whatever.

JD wrote:

Said before 2 guys had a badfight here we are told.We are also imformed by Rob the owner that they new who each otherwas!Yet Rob wants reel names to be nown by evryone:?

Peter
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

I'd not particularly want to meet you at any meeting thanks. If JD, Cool Splitty or Mrs Herbie have or want the pleasure...:roll:

Old Blue wrote:

Meeting and making friends wiv membrs at a show would be nice no harm in swaping names n mobiles.Using real names on forums is not the same.i would not want to ask a silly questoin about a car if i was known:oops:

the conditions of use are made clear when you sign up to be a member.

Old Blue wrote:

does not say 2 people can use the same username 😳
Peter
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago

Yet Rob wants reel names to be nown by evryone:?

Cool Splitty wrote:

I think you need to read the proposal more carefully...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
I'm ambivalent...can I say that?

I use a pseudonym here and my full name on The Samba and voted to leave things as they are. I've never hidden my identity on the internet...if you really want to know who I am it doesn't take a Hercule Poirot to find out.

People use "usernames" for all kinds of reasons and I use one here as I like to think it affords me a peaceful haven away from constant questions about Judsons. It probably doesn't make any difference but I like to have the option.

I think making it compulsory to use your proper name is a little draconian. Whatever the decision my behaviour here will remain inexcusable.:smile:
John.
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

I'm ambivalent...can I say that?

I use a pseudonym here and my full name on The Samba and voted to leave things as they are. I've never hidden my identity on the internet...if you really want to know who I am it doesn't take a Hercule Poirot to find out.

People use "usernames" for all kinds of reasons and I use one here as I like to think it affords me a peaceful haven away from constant questions about Judsons. It probably doesn't make any difference but I like to have the option.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

You're right we know where you are:wink:

I think making it compulsory to use your proper name is a little draconian. Whatever the decision my behaviour here will remain inexcusable.:smile:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

:d
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Thanks Rob for the name change btw, much appreciated :thumbup:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
So I have given this a lot of thought and this is what I have come up with:

Rules & Posting Guidelines 

Thanks for all the input :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
I thought this site was becoming more tollerent and frendly.So why has my ratlook thred been deleted.its a waste of time contibuting and making effort if your thred is locked or deleted.My first was locked and second removed even though several replys were made and interesting vews over many days.Someone and not me made an unfrendly post so why not remove that person and leave the thred to run:?
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

I thought this site was becoming more tollerent and frendly.So why has my ratlook thred been deleted.its a waste of time contibuting and making effort if your thred is locked or deleted.My first was locked and second removed even though several replys were made and interesting vews over many days.Someone and not me made an unfrendly post so why not remove that person and leave the thred to run:?

Cool Splitty wrote:

It was possibly removed because the subject has previously been done to death long before you joined this forum. In every previous topic on the subject it has simply developed into a p**sing match where two factions who are never likely to agree beat their respective brains out.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
The first was locked because it went way off topic. Generally when a thread gets locked, it's not a good idea to just start a new one on the same subject, but I let the new one run until it became a slanging match - including a few negative comments from you to anyone who disagreed with you, so yes the new thread was deleted.

If you were not an anonymous user, then maybe the thread would have remained, but a thread posted anonymously that is intended to cause contraversey will be deleted, personally I don't think that is unreasonable.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

The first was locked because it went way off topic. Generally when a thread gets locked, it's not a good idea to just start a new one on the same subject, but I let the new one run until it became a slanging match - including a few negative comments from you to anyone who disagreed with you, so yes the new thread was deleted.

If you were not an anonymous user, then maybe the thread would have remained, but a thread posted anonymously that is intended to cause contraversey will be deleted, personally I don't think that is unreasonable.

pre67vw wrote:

I dont see how a thred relating to vintage Vdubs can be seen as making trouble
Geezer here accused me of making a hoax post on the mot exempt one,but then another person supported that post.I later found out more on that topic and added further info:bored:
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

I dont see how a thred relating to vintage Vdubs can be seen as making trouble
Geezer here accused me of making a hoax post on the mot exempt one,but then another person supported that post.I later found out more on that topic and added further info:bored:

Cool Splitty wrote:

Rekon that makes only a couple of split bugs a dozen ovals and a score of early big window 58 59s n busses that will be exempt:p

Cool Splitty wrote:

Seems to me you were taking delight in being provocative...you can't make provocative posts and then tell us you're offended when someone responds.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
Thanks for all the input, this thread is now locked.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW