billy739
11 years ago
first of many im sure,

firstly is it correct to have brake pipe supports and brake pipe supports clamped to the rear axel tubes?

also the gearbox number KD8976804 does not seem a valid number? it does have a vw symbol each side of it tho. and there is evidence of a previous number, any ideas?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

also is it possible to substitute a later 1200 engine into the bug using all the early cooling ? ie full size dynamo & 12v with the doghouse and stail air systems?

thankyou all
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
nicolass
11 years ago
The clamps are date correct.
the KD on the gearbox stand for "Kundes Dienst"
So your gearbox is rebuild in the factory.
billy739
11 years ago
excellent , thankyou.

would you have any clue what the string is for?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Seems a bit odd to have clamp on and welded on tabs for the brake pipes, but the amount of tinkering most of these cars have had over there lifetimes, nothing really surprises any more.

You can fit a vintage-ish looking 1200 motor, but I don´t think you could fit the stale air gear to it.

What string?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
billy739
11 years ago
UserPostedImage

anyone remember this place?

well looks like DVLA have cashed the cheque so hopefully V5 on its way!
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Hi Billy,

Please can you post some more pics of your car. I love UK-supplied 50's Beetles- they are so thin on the ground now!

L.Clark, Ilkeston School of Motoring (ISM) was appointed as the VW dealer there sometime in late 1957 or 1958. They remained a VW dealer until 1970.

Rich.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
billy739
11 years ago
pics to folow.

will also post in resto thread?

car is a march 58 rhd coral red delux , as far as i can see

the reg was transfered many moon ago but it still displays the original plate.

hopefully the V5 will arrive soon showing the current reg( last owner was informed it did not have an reg allocated after transfer , DVLA in a phone call said that was wrong and they should be able to sort it from the chassis number. - and they have now taken the money from the bank so fingers crossed.

problem is i wanted an early 60's bug( small window , linkpin) to convert to a BAJA and i was offered this under the impression it was a total resto , bottom 6 inches ect , real basket case!

turns out to be a previously unwelded 58 delux!- no door drop!

this was my suprise after pulling away the carpets!
UserPostedImage
i was also a bit worried about the stae of the inside of the fuel tank seeing as it was stood for quite a few years , until i had a look, which also confirmed the date march 58!
UserPostedImage

i will hopefully put it on the road ,im doing the basics hopefully ready for an MOT,im doing minimal welding , all very good quality as if its a keeper it must be good ! but not all OG panels , but its welded so thay can be correctly fitted if your were doing a correct resto. but then wll need to decide if i cut it or sell it to fund a BAJA without destroying this one!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
This looks like a nice car. From what we can see :thumbup:

Andy W
billy739
11 years ago
looks like i need to decide if i break or register now
69project
11 years ago

looks like i need to decide if i break or register now

billy739 wrote:

Just let me have it instead!

Car less.....
billy739
11 years ago
2500£

if i need to insure it and drive it around it may become a baja!

happy to px with a rougher small window bug! engine / gearbox not needed!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
If you do then take care with the bits you cut off as if thay are any good save them so the car can be put back to normal.