Old Blue
10 years ago
Will be replacing the axle boots on Jon's oval. One has started to leak, it must be original as it is not the replacement open sided type that are screwed closed once fitted. It would be nice to fit the sealed factory type, (doing both of course) but I don't know if these are available, plus it makes a fairly simple job a big job dismanting the swing axles.

Has anyone gone to these lengths to maintain originality. It would be nice to keep the oval as original as possible.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago

Has anyone gone to these lengths to maintain originality. It would be nice to keep the oval as original as possible.

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

VW replacement parts had the seam in them, if it makes you feel any better.:d
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Yes, a lot of work, when so easy to fit the open type. Would have to be a rather special car (og survivor split) for me to go to the trouble of dismantling. Something to consider if you intent to put the car back to stock, maybe.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
billy739
10 years ago
did mine whist fitting the t2 gearbox to my oval

I was fitting a diy 'no hop kit ' so had it all apart. made myself wait a few extra days for the non split type boots to arrive , but think its worth it now?

got mine from german ebay , £18 delivered the pair from memory , genuine VW

UserPostedImage 

made all the tools myself and did it at home in the garage!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Hi Billy interesting you are fitting a T2 Box and axles to your oval. The question is why are you doing this mod ??

Andy W
Old Blue
10 years ago

did mine whist fitting the t2 gearbox to my oval

Originally Posted by: billy739 

Thanks for the pictures Billy. Jon thinks that you are making your oval into a military type for off road?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
10 years ago

They are available:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501151 

As you say, guess it depends how far you want to go!

Originally Posted by: six-o-one 

Thanks for the link six-o-one, and to you others for your replies:smile:

harveypj
10 years ago
Karman Konnection might still do the original one piece type.I got mine there a few years ago, even did the correct steel bands to hold them on.
They are the same as fitted to the early Porche.

Stock......the new custom
billy739
10 years ago

I liked the idea of the RGB rear end , looks like it may be more Baja than military tho

but I am on the fence as to which way to go .

have enough panels to go either way , just
Old Blue
10 years ago

I liked the idea of the RGB rear end , looks like it may be more Baja than military tho

but I am on the fence as to which way to go .

have enough panels to go either way , just

Is it wise to make such drastic changes to an early bug such as an oval, or did you buy the car incomplete as a major project?

Old Blue
10 years ago
BTW axle boots fitted, nice and dry around edges - so far!

billy739
10 years ago
Is it wise to make such drastic changes to an early bug such as an oval, or did you buy the car incomplete as a major project?

total project.

someone does wonder sometimes tho why?
why the person I purchased it from broke up / a perfectly good oval from 1953 and rhd!
at least until I got the birth cet from vw he didn't know it was a uk september car!

at least it will see the road again , and with a lot less lead in it!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago

total project.

why the person I purchased it from broke up / a perfectly good oval from 1953 and rhd!
at least until I got the birth cet from vw he didn't know it was a uk decebmer car!

Would love to see some photos of the project :thumbup:

Andy W
Old Blue
10 years ago

total project.

at least until I got the birth cet from vw he didn't know it was a uk decebmer car!

1953 RHD, that's a pretty collectable car, what a shame it was broke up. Is it a UK new car. Do you know what month it was built?

vintagebug
10 years ago

Is it a UK new car. Do you know what month it was built?

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

Read the post again- there are a couple of clues in there to the answers to your questions..... :wink:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
billy739
10 years ago
just so you know

uk RHD delux
September 1953
deliverd to VW MOTORS LONDON

at least it will be on the road again!

currently rust free , and lead free! , it had 1/4 inch lead in the rear quarters , whole skimmed layer! both sides

anyone know of a proper set of rhd pedals?
Old Blue
10 years ago

Read the post again- there are a couple of clues in there to the answers to your questions..... :wink:

Originally Posted by: vintagebug 

I have, it said December 1953, now its a September car:?

billy739
10 years ago
sorry just read the post

its a September car .

so it says on the birth cert

ovals and dates being mixed up from various projects!