pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi,

my lovely 67 java green beetle is on the road a couple of snags, wonder could you guys point me in the right direction:

1. the rubber around the base of the engine bay that connects to the engine tin-ware has a gap. so afraid of over heating issues. Where best get rubber from and is there a wider version I can get to help close the gap? Should I be worried about this?

2. The car came with a genuine bambus parcel shelf but no fittings. Anywhere supply the fittings only?

Apart from that the car is great and loving it. Would love to get over to a show sometime.

Appreciate any help

Pete
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagebug
9 years ago
Hi Pete,

I'm not sure where you'd get the engine bay rubber from (have you tried Karmann Konnection or VW Heritage?).

How about these two for the Bambus parcel shelf fittings?:-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1517392 

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=858272 

Cheers,
Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
beefykeefy
9 years ago

My 67 had the same issue, the engine bay rubber was too small. It's a while ago now, but I'm sure I ordered one from Heritage and it was fine, plus a lot wider.

Post some pictures up of your car :beer:
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi guys thanks for your replies.

I got in touch with Karmann Konnection, they low on beetle stock, so suggested Megabug: they have the engine bay seals - see below - hope they the right width and I know decent rubber hard to find:

Hi peter engine bay seal should be a twin flap type our ones are about 40mm wide cost £11.00 stainless steel over riders in pair cost £59.95 mud flaps sorry no

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/jim1500/oxo14/oxo14007_zpscb4bee81.jpg 

I have sourced a set OG 66/67 flat hub that come with the usual dints and rust - needs tidying and chroming - any suggestions.

Also on wish list:

67 1500 double snorkel air cleaner.

Tried to post a pic, not sure if itll work.

Thanks again for all your kindness and advice. This is a great forum. Am sure I will be up with more questions.

Pete
beefykeefy
9 years ago

https://1967beetle.com/air-cleaners/  - you might get mud flaps on their too.

67 hubcap should look like this -

UserPostedImage 

Damn hard to get hold of some...
cold steel
9 years ago
67beetle.com will also be introducing 67 only hubcaps soon too . Keep looking
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Aye, Eric and those guys at 67beetle.com are inspiring. Great community as are you guys. Loving my 67 java on the emerald isle. Would love to aim for Stanford Hall or a vintage vw meet (aimed at stock) sometime over with you all. Which shows do you recommend?
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Sourced a set of og flat hubs for my java. My car is a 1300 on 5 bolt wheels. Do I need to fit clips and rivets before fitting the og hubs to save the risk of losing them, or just fire them on?

Thanks for any tips.

Pete
1974dudley
9 years ago
Hi Pete, no need for clips on the 67. I think I have saw your car a couple of times at oxo. If so its very nice. Cheers Colin.
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Hi Colin,

yep had the Java green out for the first time at the OXO this year. Loving it. Posted a pic link up here Jim took at the show.

Hows your projects coming on?
1974dudley
9 years ago
Hi Pete

The 72 1300 is running and motd and is in a ratty herbie guise, needs to be motd in the next few weeks before rear valance removal and a 1905 bugbitz with twin 44 webbers goes in for the eircooled drag day in august, the 63 1200 is as it was and now has 30400 miles on it from new, the 76 panel is outside to get the patina im missing ever since it had its shiny paint job and is mellowing nicely, the split van is back from paint and is being built up as we speak and the two split bugs are coming along nicely, the 52 floorpan is built up and just needs the master cylinder and brake pipes and pedals to be refitted and the body is waiting till that is finished and the 52 standard split is probably heading off to the body shop in the next month to get it finished. this will give me some much needed space to weld up the crotchcooler shell for the marriage with the floor again. Meanwhile the 67 lurks in the shadows at the back of the shed patiently waiting. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Are you going to the drag day at bishopcourt on the 24th August? It was epic last year and not just because of the racing but because there were plenty of stockers on display from all over Northern Ireland and the South. Some nice vintage speed beetles and 356 porsche and splits.

Colin
pete67
  • pete67
  • Regular Topic Starter
9 years ago
Colin,

my goodness and I thought my garage/drive was full!! Thats a great fleet. Great to hear of more vintage vw in NI, especially the splits - incredible.

Got the og 66/67 flst hubs fitted and they look great. Sourced og over riders and an og rear bumper - want the car as stock as possible and its all coming together.

Not sure if I will make the drag day as just back from hols, but will see.