mrsherbie
16 years ago
A green bay window camper late 70's all Taiga green I think with white westie roof turned up around 2am and started to play VERY loud music right outside the tent on the field.

They were not British.
They must have woken people up and maybe the rest of the locals?!

We walked back to our guesthouse with Mr Bond around 2am and I am so relieved that his Rometsch left on the field was untouched.

I hate to post negative things about shows 😞

I think some of the problem is the entry system. We decided not to bring both our registered cars at the very last moment, but gave up the space to another stock 50 beetle that had only just been finished full restoration in time but had no booking. But I know many other people turned up in different vw's to those they had registered. They collected their registration bags ( very nice by the way :wink: ) and then stuck their window sticker pass on their vws.
At this point when they tried to gain entry onto the field in a Bay window/beige 60's westie/that yellow splitbus!!? :roll: They SHOULD have been turned away from parking on the show field!

356boy could have done this also in his 53 Porsche which was parked on the street, and he has also many wonderful other early vws, but he didnt.
The other 2 356's also in our group stayed parked up in the guesthouse all weekend and not taken anywhere near the field the whole time.

A place should have been found for that silver Heb somehow!

Dont get me wrong, I understand space was limited and I am not being a snob about these vehicles BUT just about everyone who attended the show in cars and on foot owns other types of old vws, I know most of us who use the pre53 forum here also have post57 beetles ( and also post67 vw's) and we love them just as much as the old ones, BUT these shows are NOT for these 'other' cars.
And we all know this.
My target was to finish my car for Camberg and now it is done I will take it only to War & Peace show and then Peppercorn this year.

At H.O. the organisation was amazing. But even then there was someone who broke the rules by entering a '67 bus' which turned out to be a 68 Bay! :roll: I dont care about model change exact dates, pre67 meant SPLIT not Bay! And they knew it. Why does it always seem to be fellow Brits who try to get around the rules for their own selfish use? :roll:

I think both the Lotterman and Grundmann teams are so honest and relaxed but it will be British who will bend the rules. It is so unfair on everyone and NOT in the spirit of these events.

I think the last H.O. was an indicator. If it stays 'pre67 buses' ( any type) I think it will be in danger from being over-run by uk buses as has happened to ALL of our uk shows now.
Dont get me wrong we have pre67 buses of our own and love them, but I think most European show promotors under-estimate just how many there are on uk roads now.
The pre55 bus rule is a very good one. But given the extra space in H.O. maybe pre-60 buses? (semaphore buses) and extra special bodies pre67 only, ie. laddertruck, wide bed pickups etc only with pre-approval by photo.

But, in defence of the modified British barndoors, it seems to be this very stong uk scene which is saving these buses, many of which the rest of the world do not want because they are so rusty.

Paul Wisk's restoration of his barndoor samba (which was on the field) will save many more dead rusty barndoors because he has shown that it CAN be done.

UserPostedImage
:shock: 😃

I think you will have a lot of fun at Bug In TeufelHeb.

Next time we see it, whatever guise the body appears in, we will expect its underside to be as shiny as George Lloyds Kab! :wink: :shock: 😃 [/i]
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
To quote mrsherbie:
'I know most of us who use this pre53 forum also have post57 beetles and we love them just as much as the old ones, BUT these shows are NOT for these 'other' cars.'

Firstly, this is not just a pre-53 forum. I also think there is a certain snobbery with the August 57 cut-off point.
To my surprise, I actually had some hardcore enthusiast wondering why my square-window Standard Sunroof wasn't elegible when it was actually the only car of its kind in town as well as being one of only four around.
With all due respect (and I do love them) there is a plethora of Ovals and Splits and I wonder if the slightly blinkered age restriction isn't outruling a diversity and rarity which doesn't stop in 1957, far from it.
I think an original car with semaphores has just as much right (if not more!), to be there as some early 50s bus or Split beetle which has been
lowered and fitted with big wheels, etc...! :shock:
mrsherbie
16 years ago

To my surprise, I actually had some hardcore enthusiast wondering why my square-window Standard Sunroof wasn't elegible when it was actually the only car of its kind in town as well as being one of only four around.

"48REME" wrote:

I agree with you totally and we commented on this as well each time we drove past your car.

Standard's are very rare but unfortunately fall into a loophole of obscurity because as we know people dont know/understand enough about them.

Regarding pre57. There have to be some rules when there is limited space available.
If you make the rules too complex it will become a very confusing registration system.

Why dont you email The H.O. team to see if they would consider a special display of standard only beetles :?: In a year by year lineup :?: You are THE MAN 😃 with the MOST knowledge to pull a European group of these cars together, and I for one, would absolutely LOVE to see a lineup of these! I dont think this has ever been done before?

To quote Rockstock as before :
"did you look at the cal look line-up at HO? i didn't"

No, me neither. They were beautiful cars but there are Cal-look cars everywhere these days. They are not special enough to me.

48Reme standard 
mrsherbie
16 years ago

'I know most of us who use this pre53 forum

"48REME" wrote:

Firstly, this is not just a pre-53 forum.

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Sorry Nicholas, that was a mistake, confused error in typing. I get a little dizzy like that sometimes :lol: I have changed it now 😃 ps. we have a late '79 :lol: :D

Hang on, I'm off to start a new post 78 forum and show.... no pre78 cars allowed 😃
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Paul Wisk's restoration of his barndoor samba (which was on the field) will save many more dead rusty barndoors because he has shown that it CAN be done.

UserPostedImage
:shock: 😃

[/i]

"mrsherbie" wrote:

I had also seen "before" pics of this, so i knew the story and I had some appreciation of the van - BUT - why didn't he paint it or at least polish it a bit, to stop it looking like just another knackered old bus? Some people still don't seem to appreciate the difference between patina, which comes from use - and plain old fashioned decay.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
16 years ago

BUT - why didn't he paint it or at least polish it a bit, to stop it looking like just another knackered old bus?

"JD" wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree. There are more restored barndoor sambas on the road than original paint ones.
What he has done is far more clever than just using a pile of new repro metal body panels and filler and paint to hide the shell's imperfections.
My point using this bus was only that after reviving this bus from the grave ( not something most of us could have even managed given what he started with!) As far as I am concerned he can do whatever he wants with it!

On the flipside some people buy, and then screw up really good and rare buses, take the Arcomobil:

ssvc Camper  

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Yes, of course he can do what he wants with it, but for the want of a drop of T cut, it could have looked a lot better (In my worthless opinion).

I mean, he's gone to one hell of a lot of trouble to restore it, but then decided to make an exception in the case of the paint. Why?

Oh well, it don't matter to me. I hate busses anyway. 😃
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
16 years ago
If you have a fair amount of surface rust in the paint, T cut will leave white marks. Its only good for the good solid paint areas, so you end up with shiny in patches. Thats why Ankor wax is so good, just gives it a greasy film across the whole surface to help waterproof (like a ducks feathers) and brings up the colour a bit like on our old surface rusty brown girl :wink: But then it becomes impossible to paint anyway. So many confusing "to resto or not to resto" choices :? 😃
mrsherbie
16 years ago
He painted the underside 😃
UserPostedImage

Anyway, now you are sending me off track talking about buses...! :lol:

ps. I know you secretly loved snowy the snowmobile JD you big softy X
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Snowy the who? 😃

Did you get the pic I sent ? Dead soppy me.
UserPostedImage
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

but for the want of a drop of T cut, 😃

"JD" wrote:

Please do not use that stuff on your beautiful cars,it's rubbish.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I'd heard its a bit aggresive. Too much ammonia in it or something?
UserPostedImage
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
I think these products are top class.
More expensive than T cut,but better results and more gentle on the finish.
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
try this

Strange can't get that pic to post but they are called R1,R2 and Finishing Glaze.They are made by a company called Restore.
48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
To quote mrsherbie:
Why dont you email The H.O. team to see if they would consider a special display of standard only beetles In a year by year lineup You are THE MAN with the MOST knowledge to pull a European group of these cars together, and I for one, would absolutely LOVE to see a lineup of these! I dont think this has ever been done before?

We're going to try and do exactly that Anna! A Standard line up at Lavenham for starters and then who knows... This will involve British Standard owners first and then hopefully guests from abroad too. 😃
vintagevw
16 years ago
Yeah why not at Lavenham, my friend has a 1954 standard ragtop.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Chris
16 years ago

"48REME" wrote:

Nick, I've never considered myself a lover of square window bugs, but your car is VERY nice...
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
mrsherbie
16 years ago
UserPostedImage

Lets pray the king is not going to Bug In.... 😞
fantakid
16 years ago
Hi,
no we do not take part at the Bug In. (BBT has lend the car from us )
The taxi will be restaured next year to stock ( like it left Rometsch 1952 as a split )
We discused in the HO team how we will make the show 2009 and we line up the cars like we had ( one street Oval , one street busses ,... ) but these cars have to be stock .
Lowered cars with big engines and so on will be standing a other street seperated from stock cars. We are a vintage show and that is what we want to stay.
Bye Christian
2splits
16 years ago

Hi,
no we do not take part at the Bug In. (BBT has lend the car from us )
The taxi will be restaured next year to stock ( like it left Rometsch 1952 as a split )
We discused in the HO team how we will make the show 2009 and we line up the cars like we had ( one street Oval , one street busses ,... ) but these cars have to be stock .
Lowered cars with big engines and so on will be standing a other street seperated from stock cars. We are a vintage show and that is what we want to stay.
Bye Christian

"fantakid" wrote:

Amen.

I will be there.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356