lflanagan
16 years ago
hi all, ive just bought a new 1973 Volkswagen bay fronted camper van 1583 cc and i was just wondering if anyone knew if it can run on unleaded petrol?? please answer thanks 🙂
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
djkeev
16 years ago
The short answer is YES you can.
BUT.......

Providing you run PREMIUM grade fuel.

Here is a short quote from a very long article. The article address is...

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/fuels.shtml 

Yes. Using today's modern fuels with higher octane ratings won't harm the engines of classic cars designed to run on petrols with low octane ratings."

Hope this helps, there are other articles that say No you cannot but unless you have poor quality valve seats (which very few cars have) you are fine, just spend more $$ and upgrade to higher octane fuel to achieve the lubrication missing from leads absence.

There was a lot of hype when unleaded fuel was introduced (I remember them well, I was in the Auto industry at the time) about excess wear with unleaded fuel but studies and time have debunked most of those concerns.

There is somewhere a list compiled by the Canadian Government listing what vehicles have valve seat problems but I cannot locate it at this time.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
1958 Harry
16 years ago
If you're in the UK we only have 95RON and above anyway so its all 'premium' grade.

And yes you can run VW's on Unleaded with no problems.

If you are really worried tho (and you're UK based) Sainsburys still sell 4 star Lead Replacement Petrol 🙂
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj