Chris
  • Chris
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Is it possible to secure the steering box to the beam without the body being ready to go on ? Or can't this be done because you can't put it in on the right angle? Also, to get the track rods right I need to know the exact location of the steering box.

I think I've just answered my own question 😮 but a second opinion would be nice.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
djkeev
16 years ago
HI,

Gosh, it would be great if when people asked a question they told you what vehicle they are working on......

Heavy sigh.....

Let me assume you are working on a newer type I, that would be a Bug or Ghia.

There are welded stops on the axle tube that locate the box. The removable bracket has two cutouts on it, one indicates <14 the other indicates 13>

When the arrow points forward for # 13, that is for the beetle

Hence the arrow pointing forward for # 14 that is for the Ghia.

If you have an older beetle or Ghia without welded spots on the axle tube, there are dimensions that need to be taken. Too involved to type out here. If this is your situation, email me at

[email protected]

Give me your email address, year and chassis number, I'll send an email with a file attached that has steering box installation instructions

If you have a van or other VW, I cannot help you.
I'm not familiar with them or with the VW beetle past 1969 (don't really even like anything past 67)

Good Luck
Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
Chris
  • Chris
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Dave,
thanks for your reply. When I saw it was your name on the thread I just knew what you were going to ask :lol: I bet you've got that already typed out and you just 'cut and paste' on the begining of every thread you reply to. :wink:

The most embarassing thing is, you're right. :oops: No-one puts the info down.

My car's an April 1955 RHD oval. I'll e-mail you later with the chassis number etc. Front beam has no notches etc on it, so I guess it's out with the rule and pencil.

Thanks,
Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.