Phillmore
16 years ago
A few questions to help me on my way; the Oval was built in November 1954 so should it have a single tip or twin tail pipe exhaust? The rear valance has cut outs that are deffinately home made so I need guidance.

What model carb should the correct 30hp engine have? - the one I have has no 'PCI' or any other identification marks (unless its in small print under some of the oil).

Thank you for your opinions.

Phill Thomas.
If in doubt - cut it out
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Chris
16 years ago
Phil,

The exhaust should have a single tailpipe and the rear valance should not have any cutouts. As for the carb I'll have to have a look in the garage. If no-one has replied by tomorrow I'll try and post it here.

Everything changed in August 1955, so if you state it's a 1954 you'll avoid any confusion... I should know !! :roll:

P.S. Welcome to the forum :wink:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Phillmore
16 years ago
Thanks Chris - Thats what I thought, but felt it best to seek guidance. I will appreciate a response to the carb when you get the chance and will take some detailed photos of the one I have to see if someone can identify what year or vehicle it was destined for.

I appreciate your responses.

Phill Thomas.
If in doubt - cut it out
Jules
16 years ago
I think the carb should be a 28PCI
Phillmore
16 years ago
Thanks julian - thats what I thought; I take it that the numbers are clearly visible on the carb? Mine only has 'Solex' and looks the right shape, correct inlet fitting and choke attachment with no 'PCI' or any other marks.

Can anyone tell me the mainjet size please. Also, does 28 suggest that the venturi is 28 mm in diameter?

Thanks.

Phill Thomas.
If in doubt - cut it out
Chris
16 years ago
Phil,
If you want to go the whole hog on trying to get the engine as original as possible, you might need the 'strap over' air filter and the 'one piece' oil filler tube. I've been trying to establish what's correct for an April '55 engine but you get different information depending who/where you ask. :roll:

This is what I believe a pre august '55 engine should look like, ( I wish mine looked half as good as this :oops: ) This pic was sent to me by someone on the Samba. If anyone differs, please feel free to speak up.

Thanks,
Chris

13693.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Phillmore
16 years ago
Cheers Chris - that looks stunning! I already have the oil filler sourced, but for the present time will have to stick with the air cleaner seen in the first picture. The only reason im being fussy about the carb is that the engine should run smoother with the right one on it.

Having read various posts on the Samba, you can get hooked on all sorts of intricate details like 'wavy' edged fuel pumps and nickel finish over cadmium on some of the bolts; some of the joy for me is reading and learning from others like yourself. The car isnt going to be a show winner as it will be all my own work, but it should be properly preserved and ready to face the next 50 years when eventually restored.

So - do you think that the paint on that engine is gloss or satin?

I hope it doesnt get fired up though...no fanbelt!

Thanks again.

Phill.
If in doubt - cut it out
2splits
16 years ago

Phil,
If you want to go the whole hog on trying to get the engine as original as possible, you might need the 'strap over' air filter and the 'one piece' oil filler tube. I've been trying to establish what's correct for an April '55 engine but you get different information depending who/where you ask. :roll:

This is what I believe a pre august '55 engine should look like, ( I wish mine looked half as good as this :oops: ) This pic was sent to me by someone on the Samba. If anyone differs, please feel free to speak up.

Thanks,
Chris

"Chris" wrote:

Coil strap should have a hole in it. Tarboard looks incorrect. Paint should be more satin than gloss.

Single strap aircleaner is debatable.

Here is my engine when I got it. Original 35,000 mile car at the time. April 1955 car.

Oh - and the regulator should be straight up and down in April 55.

UserPostedImage
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
2splits
16 years ago
Check out the difference in distributors as well.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
djkeev
16 years ago
Hi,

It would help to know your engine number to determine what year that is. Often older cars have newer engines in them.
If you have the original engine...
It should be between # 921 247 - 945 526,
If so the following information should apply to it.

You should have a Solex 28 PCI

If you disassemble the unit, make sure you put the venturi in properly. the narrow waist should be at the top, it is easy to reverse and it will fit, just won't operate properly.

Also take caution with the float lever, oben must be up.

You should have the nylon float instead of the brass one.

Your Venturi should be 21.5 mm dia.
Main Jet 122.5
Pilot Jet 50
pilot jet air bleed 0.8 mm dia.
air correction jet 200
pump jet 50
pump air correction jet 50
Emulsion tube 29
needle valve 1.5
float weight 12.5 g
pump feed .40 -.55 c.c. per stroke

You should have the clamp on oil bath air cleaner

Good luck
Dave

"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago
This might also come in useful :wink:

UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
16 years ago

UserPostedImage

"2splits" wrote:

UserPostedImage

This is the engine in our lovely new 54 which is a very original unrestored car also.
I dont know anything about oval engines! So I dont know how correct our engine is, ( Owen does though) just that the rest of our car is 100% original. I dont know its '54 month yet until I get it home into my garage : )
But it seems to tie in pretty well with what everyone else here has said.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Chris
16 years ago
Anna,

Although I'm no expert, that engine seems to be correct to me. Has the 'strap over' air filter, round coil etc. Can't see the shape of the oil filler tube tho' bit imagine it's the type with the clip keeping it in place.

Ties in with a number of pictures I've downloaded from the Samba.

Chris

'50 Karmann
16 years ago
That ROUND coil is a Regulator :roll:
Chris
16 years ago
Well done George, you passed that little test :lol: .

Just need to go and edit that last thread to make it look as if I know what I'm on about :oops: