daveangel
15 years ago
Can someone please help with the following questions about buying a UK beetle. I am ideally after a 1966 or below (I think!) mainly due to the body panels. However, I see discrepancies in photos of panels and want to know what is correct.

- What year did the front lights change from the nice sloping ones to the horrible vertical ones?
- What year did disk brakes come in?
- Did the Oval window come in RHD at all? Or are they all LHD? How rare are they now in the UK?
- What's with the ragtop models? Were they fitted as an optional extra? Are they more desirable, noisy etc? I am not refering to the convertibles, just the large opening in the roof.
- Are replacement parts harder/more expensive on older models like the 1966?
- When did the 'w' engine lid change to a 'semi-w' and then the horrible flat one?
- I would like to lower the car. I understand that the rear is quite simple, but the front is more difficult. I am not interested in going ridiculously low. I would like the pre 1966 wheels (without the
holes)
- In terms of engine, I have driven a stock 1600 before and it was not enough. Is it worth tuning a stock engine, or going for a 2.0l Type 4 engine conversion? I am not after blistering performance, but want something a bit beefier than the stock 1600. I know that the < 1966 have smaller 1.3's and 1.2's so I guess whatever I buy, I will need to swap out.

Thanks in advance for help with any of the above.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hi,
Those are some 'broad' questions!
In a nutshell.
pre67 for sloping lights
pre64 'small windows' ( sides most obvious)
pre58 for oval ( ie 53 to 57)
Yes RHD ovals rarer however also usually far more rusty or had more repairs so LHD are usually in far better original condition.
Ragtops pre64 (had to be special order after) steel sliding came in 64.
For year by year info, looking here will help if you have no books:
samba manuals 
This is a pre67 forum so no 1600's here.
Also this is the only STOCK vw forum on the net, and we are all very happy with how VW designed our cars. Stock = far more time driving on the road rather than on axle stands or in some unreliable vw workshop for years on end.. :lol:
Upgrade the engine, but lowering beetles only gives you a far worse ride than stock, its all for looks only. Each to their own.
However there are hundreds of sites where you will find that info, but this fortunately is'nt one of them...
:wink: 😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
crazydaze
15 years ago
This site is awesome as a resource for restoring your model to stock specs etc, i spend hours hear learning about different model years etc, and the advice is always forthcoming etc but as Mrs Herbie says there are other sites available for modifications to suspension and engines etc if that is the direction you want to go. www.restowagenuk.com is a site that caters for restoration and minor modification of suspension and engines/drivetrains. There are some excellent books detailing model changes by year etc so have a look at the shows or maybe through the ad's in Volksworld or Ultra VW.

I joined the Historic VW Club to learn more about the cars I love, and yes, it does take a bit of turning a blind eye to the 'don't modify at any cost brigade' :wink: but hell, it's worth it to learn from people with a hell of alot of knowledge to share!

Alex.
daveangel
15 years ago
Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong. I seriously want the look of a pre 67 car as I can't be doing with those elephant feet rear lights and all the other bits to go with it! Which is why I thought this forum would help. I want EVERYTHING stock apart from the height and a slightly more driveable engine.

I am just really keen to know the differences in years/body panels as I see lots of photos of the same year with all different panels 😢 so it's hard to tell what the original had.

The main problem is that I have my eye on a 1967 which looks like it's in a 1966 guise (sloping front lights). It was registered in July 1967 so could it still be a 1966 'model'? Is there any way I can check (chassis number perhaps?). I was told that it was converted from 6v to 12v too so again I assume that perhaps was a '66 model instead of the 12v '67 model. It also has discs at the front.

Thanks
harveypj
15 years ago
The 67 year was the first year of the 3 years that the 1500cc model was produced, one of the features of this model was front disc breaks. The rear deck lid was also diferent from the 'faided' w lid of the 66 in that it was a one year only '3/4 length'. kind of a cross between a faided and a later one. Necessary for the larger engine.

Stock......the new custom
crazydaze
15 years ago

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong. I seriously want the look of a pre 67 car as I can't be doing with those elephant feet rear lights and all the other bits to go with it! Which is why I thought this forum would help. I want EVERYTHING stock apart from the height and a slightly more driveable engine.

I am just really keen to know the differences in years/body panels as I see lots of photos of the same year with all different panels 😢 so it's hard to tell what the original had.

The main problem is that I have my eye on a 1967 which looks like it's in a 1966 guise (sloping front lights). It was registered in July 1967 so could it still be a 1966 'model'? Is there any way I can check (chassis number perhaps?). I was told that it was converted from 6v to 12v too so again I assume that perhaps was a '66 model instead of the 12v '67 model. It also has discs at the front.

Thanks

"daveangel" wrote:

There are many differences between '67 models depnding on the market the car was sold in, there are many differnces between 67's and 66' and 68 models too!

Essentially a UK '67 should have sloping front wings, long bonnet, 67' only short valance, decklid, blade or US spec bumpers, 1500 models would have disc front brakes and 12 volt, wheels would be slotted steels and flat hubcaps.

That is very basic body differences, there are tons more.

There are some good threads on www.thesamba.com that would help you.

Your initial questions are very varied and dont point to a spcific era or model. Essentialy i think you need to consider the use the car will get, and why type 4 motor when you could consider twin carb 1600, 1641, 1776 that should keep up easy with modern traffic??? Especially if you went for a high ratio box for motorway work at lower rev's.

What year did the front lights change from the nice sloping ones to the horrible vertical ones?

'67 for the '68 model year

What year did disk brakes come in?

'67 for the 1500 model, '68 for the 1300 I think the 1200 standard stayed drum and 6v into the 70's

Did the Oval window come in RHD at all? Or are they all LHD? How rare are they now in the UK?

Yup, '54 - '57 were the years for the Oval model available LHD and RHD. RHD are rare because of our climate, many ovals are lhd imports from drier climates, thus RHD is rarer than LHD. Remember that pre '59 beetles are semophore indicators and small rear lights so not as practical as later cars in this respect. Generally parts for pre' 60 are more expensive, especially brakes, other wise most service items are readily available.

What's with the ragtop models? Were they fitted as an optional extra? Are they more desirable, noisy etc? I am not refering to the convertibles, just the large opening in the roof.

Ragtops in Beetles were available up to 63 accross the range and upto '67 on standard models. There are many differences depending on model year, 3 folds and 2 folds being the easiest difference to spot, they were either factory fitted (Rare and desirable) Aftermarket fitted (depends on the quality of the conversion as to value but not as desirable as a factory fit) or a car may have had an OG clip installed from a donor car during it's life (the quality of the work will determine the value of the car)

Are replacement parts harder/more expensive on older models like the 1966?

Parts are harder to get the oplder the car, most 60's parts are not aproblem, parts like OG body panels are expensive no matter the year, but the general rule of thumb is the older the car the more expensive/harder to source the parts.

I would like to lower the car. I understand that the rear is quite simple, but the front is more difficult. I am not interested in going ridiculously low. I would like the pre 1966 wheels (without the
holes)

Get yourself on Restowagenuk.com

In terms of engine, I have driven a stock 1600 before and it was not enough. Is it worth tuning a stock engine, or going for a 2.0l Type 4 engine conversion? I am not after blistering performance, but want something a bit beefier than the stock 1600. I know that the < 1966 have smaller 1.3's and 1.2's so I guess whatever I buy, I will need to swap out.

You will need to consider gearbox ratio's etc too, as this can affect the drivability of the engine, a Type1 engine would be easier to fit and more in keeping with the general stock 'just lowered a bit' theme.

Alex,
daveangel
15 years ago
Thanks for your help everyone. I am now clearer about a few things! Seems as though the '67 car I am after is definately the way to go. Also seems as though the Type 4 is perhaps overkill for what I need too ;-)

mrsherbie
15 years ago

"crazydaze" wrote:

Oh you see now you are just making me feel really guilty about my lazy short post! :lol:
I agree though if you want to know how to do all that 'broken wheels look' malarchy, Restowagen is the best place by far, plenty of people who at least know how to do it properly, well, make your wheels look broken properly if you know what I mean?! :shock: :lol: 😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann