Standard split
15 years ago
The knives are out for 'older vehicles'.

As of last February, older trucks and buses can no longer enter any part of London without paying a stonking £200 a day. By 2010 the scheme will be extended to heavier vans.

However pre-1973 vehicles are exempt. So I can continue to drive my 1962 Routemaster London bus around London okay, which is just as well as I live in the Low Emission Zone! But my friend's 1974 DMS London bus halved in value overnight.

So what has this to do with our 'Beetles' :?:

With the Government's on-going drive to get older vehicles off the road you can bet that it will eventually affect older cars, light vans and motorcycles, and sooner or later not just in London :!:

Despite attempts by various classic car movements the Government has refused to move the 'Historic' (excise duty exempt) vehicle class up beyond 1972. However, it does seem that this class will protect all pre '73 classics from all sorts of tough vehicle legislation in the future.

So if your VW is pre-1973 fine. But is there really any point in restoring a post 1972 classic as I think they will eventually be taken off the road. :shock: [/b]
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
It is interesting.

I can see why the London rules, keeping the traffic moving I guess. We have a '79 1303 Kab but its not been on the road in years. But I expect we could get it up to pass any emissions that any 10yr old car could with some work so post 72 cars would all fall into that same category. Luckily there are'nt many decent vw's past 72 anyway. But it could potentially see the demise of the majority of 1303's eventually?!

The slightly lesser value of late 70's German Bay vans v pre72, is currently balanced fairly evenly by the fact that the later bigger 2L fuel injected engines drive SO much better than the pre72 buses, worth paying the road tax for in my experience
:lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Did you realise you posted this in pre53?!

:beer: :beer: 😳 :lol:
Standard split
15 years ago
YES – this is all pre 67 anyway :!:

Besides the pre'53 is the bit I look at most :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
48REME
15 years ago
...and not post-1972, right? 😃
Standard split
15 years ago
What is it with you Nicholas [-X

People viewing this site probably have an interest in later VW's too.

It may well be of interest to somebody considering buying a later Beetle or VW bus. It could help them in deciding if to buy a pre '72 or a really nice '75 they have seen :?: If nothing else it is an interesting view on how classic cars may go.

Perhaps I should go on about how I have just cleaned my car and maybe change the colour someday or give out some other useless information :evil:
'50 Karmann
15 years ago

People viewing this site probably have an interest in later VW's too.

"Standard split" wrote:

Sad Bastards :lol: :lol: :lol:
48REME
15 years ago
I'll give you my best cleaning tips if you want!
Just lighten up a bit and stop being so personal, will you?

:wink:
'50 Karmann
15 years ago

Perhaps I should go on about how I have just cleaned my car and maybe change the colour someday or give out some other useless information :evil:

"Standard split" wrote:

OR you could just tell us more about your double decker bus. :wink:
48REME
15 years ago
...and maybe that needs a good clean too?! :lol:
(sorry, couldn't help it!)
mrsherbie
15 years ago

OR you could just tell us more about your double decker bus. :wink:

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

YES PLEASE 😃 PICS!
My Grandad was a Southdown(Portsmouth Corporation) bus mechanic all his life, I have great memories.

Dont worry Rob is far too busy getting his Kab finished to even notice a sly non vw on the site :wink:
'50 Karmann
15 years ago
***  16057.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
15 years ago

Dont worry Rob is far too busy getting his Kab finished to even notice a sly non vw on the site :wink:

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Just for that - this topic has been moved to general chat... (it's obviously not a pre-53 thread)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
15 years ago

Just for that

"pre67vw" wrote:

Hey!!! Get back in that garage :wink:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Uh Oh!
Dont forget, the horn and washers need to do their 'just once a year working exercises' :wink: 😃
mrsherbie
15 years ago

The knives are out for 'older vehicles'.

Standard split wrote:

I know this is 'Campaign talk' and dont begin to understand US Politics or get involved in Politics full stop! (No, especially not here Rob!)

I dont believe anything Governments tell us especially our own, but yet I find this video very inspiring ,but at the same time also a little frightening for our old cars.
But Obama would get my vote for this, I think he is fantastic. We need a prime minister like this who has this real steel! regardless of whether you agree or disagree with every issue raised here, as I dont either. ie. I am sure Biofuels will work in the USA with so much open farm land, where they dont work here.

For once a prime minister who does not just make the people pay more & more taxes to solve every problem!

Link - Environment - Obama statement 

Although, no, not directly linked to topic, I got mailed this link today ( I am a bit of a greeny :d ) 1 hour after filling my car up this morning and noticing that unleaded at my local Sainsbury's has gone up 2p Litre in 2 days, when is it going to stop?

six-o-one
15 years ago
At least high petrol prices make people think about how much they drive.
A few years ago it cost me around £35 to fill my car up from empty.
I was horrified when it went over £40 a tank
Filled my car up this week and it cost me £48 and it wasn't even from empty!

117.9p a litre is not good!

I'm gonna investigate a season ticket from BR.
Apart from the inconvenience, it used to work out more expensive but now I'm not so sure!

:(
mrsherbie
15 years ago

At least high petrol prices make people think about how much they drive.

six-o-one wrote:

Yes, yesterday I resolved to use my bicycle/walk all week wherever possible, school runs etc, even though nowadays you pretty much have to ride on the pavement everywhere, different to when we were young! So after having to drive 16miles round trip to Halfords to buy new inner tubes as the old ones had perished :lol: we did it, despite tired complaining school child :lol: Then I went to bed at 9.30pm as I was completely worn out :lol:
Chris
15 years ago
I bike to work every day come rain or shine. (Mostly rain at the moment 😞 ) I work shifts aswell, so out by 4.45 tomorrow morning :shock: . That's partly through choice tho' as cycling is also a hobby of mine. We sold our second car about 18 months ago and are currently running just the one. I'm bloody glad we did tho' because I don't think I could afford to run two cars now. I pass a couple of petrol stations on the way into work and the price of petrol seems to increase daily. Someone's making some money out of all this 😶 As Anna sid, I think twice now about going for a drive with the family on a weekend, prefering to walk around to the local park and spend time with my daughter there. :d

I believe something has got to happen soon. All the lorries having a 'go slow' on the motorways is not going to make a blind bit of difference because it doesn't affect the people of London. Now if they all started to drive slowly around the strrets of London, then the politicians would start to take note when the capital ground to a halt.
We're too nice us British. Not like the French. Thay have the right idea. Don't like something, let's protest and do it properly.

Anyway rant over. :oops:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
GKL 7
15 years ago

I bike to work every day come rain or shine. (Mostly rain at the moment 😞 ) I work shifts aswell, so out by 4.45 tomorrow morning :shock: . That's partly through choice tho' as cycling is also a hobby of mine. We sold our second car about 18 months ago and are currently running just the one. I'm bloody glad we did tho' because I don't think I could afford to run two cars now. I pass a couple of petrol stations on the way into work and the price of petrol seems to increase daily. Someone's making some money out of all this 😶 As Anna sid, I think twice now about going for a drive with the family on a weekend, prefering to walk around to the local park and spend time with my daughter there. :d

I believe something has got to happen soon. All the lorries having a 'go slow' on the motorways is not going to make a blind bit of difference because it doesn't affect the people of London. Now if they all started to drive slowly around the strrets of London, then the politicians would start to take note when the capital ground to a halt.
We're too nice us British. Not like the French. Thay have the right idea. Don't like something, let's protest and do it properly.

Anyway rant over. :oops:

Chris wrote:

He's just dead tight really:lol: