Mike Peckham
15 years ago
I'm having a problem getting my wipers to self-park. They're on my 57 oval so have the parking mechanism and wiring for same, when I bought the car the permanent live to the motor had been disconnected, on reconnecting the lead the motor ran continuously hesitating briefly at the parking point. I have the motor off the car at the moment and have stripped it down, I've checked the wiring and it is all as it should be, I'm currently looking at the make-and-brake contacts in the motor body and they all appear to be as they should be.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and managed to resolve it? It's as though the motor runs too freely and on switching off runs on enough to make the contact again and restart...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!:lol:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
15 years ago
Has the car been converted to 12 volts?
You can call me Al.
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
No it hasn't, actually I've solved the problem, it was one of wiring. After a considerable amount of messing around with my meter, I found that terminal 31b on the switch is open circuit when the switch is on and goes to earth when the switch s turned off, when the wiper is properly wired this operates the magnetic brake. Not realising this I was trying to get the wiper to work with it and the switch out of the car and using a feed from the battery, of course with the switch not going to earth through the body and in turn to the wiper motor, the brake simply didn't operate...

I'm not sure now why the permanent live had been disconnected as now with everything reassembled it operates fine. I took the opportunity whilst everything was stripped own to repack the gear box with new grease and lubricate the spindles, so everything's like new now! :wink: Need to try and source some new blades and wiper arms at some point but there's no rush for that.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.