mrsherbie
15 years ago
Alec Issigonis was Greek and during the war, long before he designed the Moggy and later the Mini, he came up with a few fresh ideas....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

:shock: :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Design Museum Alec Issigonis 

”One thing that I learnt the hard way – well not the hard way, the easy way – when you’re designing a new car for production, never, never copy the opposition,” opined Alec Issigonis, when asked to summarise his approach to car design. An eccentric and often outspoken character, Issigonis was equally dismissive of market research, which he described as “bunk” and even mathematics, derided as “the enemy of every truly creative man”.

:beer:

mrsherbie
15 years ago
The beginning:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The END

Luckily at the last minute celebrity George Roper turned up for the ceremony and made a vain effort to remove the obvious paint run he had just noticed, only just in time so that it would'nt get noticed in the press photo's. And staff told that if they didnt pose for the photo they would get docked their wages.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage[
GKL 7
15 years ago
:roll: Sleeping with the enemy.
Standard split
15 years ago
Morris Minors are junk – well at least compared to the Beetle. I have owned one and it took me about 15 minutes to come to that decision:!:

The front is also ugly, and by the time Issigonis got around to styling the back he must have been bored with the whole thing.

Look under the Minor and admire its exposed cart springs and prehistoric layout – yuk:!:

Minor vans and pick-ups look good though, more sensible that having an engine in the way at the back like VW.

I really can't understand why the Minor is called "Britain's answer to the Beetle". Along with the Mini, production was a fraction of that of the Beetle. Still, if you want to be crushed to death on the road, the Mini is the one to choose:twisted:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
15 years ago
John your signature line - -
Does that mean you don't mind selling that beautiful '49 deluxe you have then?
LMK:d
Standard split
15 years ago
Mmmm…[-x

Well I certainly do like the Standard splits… I'm not too keen on the Deluxe Beetles.:roll:

However the early ones I do find rather attractive. These pre October '52 Deluxes are not so garish as those Deluxes that followed. Their exterior trim strips are that attractive fluted aluminum, and the bumpers are more elegant with the painted strip, not garish wide chrome blades of '53 on.
No tacky chrome strips in the window rubbers too, although those made around 1951 onward had the misfortune to have it fitted around the windscreen.:wink:

This brings you to my 1949 Export Model, a Deluxe of the nice early type and with its totally original and untouched interior which on these early Deluxes is a real treat to see, smell and sit in. But the bit I love most is these really early Deluxes virtually have a Standard Model chassis! Crash box of course but cable brakes too. I had my car parked-up for over 17 years, it started rather easily and the brakes still worked fine! This would not have been the case with hydraulic brakes – a brake rebuild would be the order of the day. I am only the second owner, and it still wears its original (a little moth-eaten) exterior paint. Low miles and unrestored, I plan to keep it – sorry 8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
15 years ago

I plan to keep it – sorry 8)

Standard split wrote:

BUMMER!!!:cry:
What a great car it is.
Right decisison tho' John.
Standard split
15 years ago
Thanks George. I'm sure that if it was yours you would sooner live in it than sell it.

Likewise I know too if it was yours it would be treasured and it would probably have a more enjoyable life than the last 23 years in my care hidden from the world :oops:

Still, this car has been with me for a big chunk of my life and just becomes more interesting as the years roll by…
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Morris Minors are junk – well at least compared to the Beetle.

Standard split wrote:

:lol:

You are right though.
My first car was a '68 traveller' and actually I loved it! but then I had not driven a beetle at that point. It was also the only car I have ever written off :cry: The bonnet was folded up in half and I had the steering wheel in my chest, I was lucky, and it is the reason I get so annoyed when I see kids now wanting an oval for a first car in the traffic nowadays! Anyway after that came my gold 1303, and considering it was just 5 years newer than the moggy, it felt like a new modern car! :d

But with hindsight my 68 moggy was probably more akin to driving a 40's beetle! compared the good drive (even now) of a 68 beetle! Morris were MILES behind!

Your 49 sounds wonderful :beer: and I am very glad there are people like you with them tucked away safely. Personally I am very happy with cars being stored and not used! :d It's yours and if just owning it gives you enjoyment, then thats ok, and everyone who says '"splits and ovals should be used and driven hard, as its what they were made for'" can all just BUGGER OFF! :twisted: :lol: Long after they have crashed/ruined theirs, ours will still here!

These old cars have MORE than finished their 'work years' ! They are in well earned retirement, like an old dog who just wants to sleep all day :d

I mean would you drag your old dog out of his bed do this?
( I apologise in advance for any anger this may generate :wink: :shock: )

And even worse, a well loved and cared for stock original split that looked exactly like this would'nt even get a second glance in a magazine but you just know that this one will in their coverage of the show last weekend, because obviously it is just SO clever doing this to an original paint early car.

So as I said, I am genuinely truly happy yours is tucked away.

UserPostedImage

GKL 7
15 years ago
OH!Anna
Morris minors and modified splits on here?
That's like taking a whore into church:wink:
Standard split
15 years ago
Thanks MrsHerbie :beer:

I'm often told it's a waste to keep such a car hidden away. Survivor cars are so much more interesting than immaculate restorations.

Their numbers can only drop as some are lost to restorers or accidents.

It's just possible that my '49 model Export will see the light at a show one day though :wink:
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

It's just possible that my '49 model Export will see the light at a show one day though :wink:

Standard split wrote:

...we all look forward to that day John 🙂
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.