Mike Peckham
15 years ago
I picked up this semaphore arm at an auto jumble at the weekend because it looked vaguely like the ones that were fitted to Beetles. It doesn't fit a standard beetle as it's a bit too long but I wonder if it is from a beetle ancestor or cousin?

I'm thinking the people on this forum are the people who will know...

The last picture shows it next to one of the arms from my '57 in order to show scale.

Mikes Beetle bits 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Mikes Beetle bits 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Mikes Beetle bits 3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Mikes Beetle bits 4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
Possibly Saab.
They used this type,quite a fews cars coming out of Sweden have these fitted.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Yes, they look very much like the nos Swedish military green ones I used for my car. Needed a lot of playing about with cutting,filing & (very careful) welding tabs on to make fit/work pretty close to vw, I think I spent a whole day doing it, but they are great and were almost free instead of £500-1000 pair for vw grooved ones :shock: Although, saying that, I probably would have bought some real ones IF I could have even found some at the time! We have some really rough real ones, but I wanted semaphores that actually work well rather than completely worn out ones! :d
We have put a pair of black nos oval ones on the brown 50, and are quite happy with that too, again function over form.

So it could be argued that yes they have some value for vw use as with the rarity and high price of vw grooved, it is possible they can be used but certainly not bolt straight in.
Although my lenses are orange not red which makes a difference.

Grooved vw semaphores are another part like split and heart lights that I would be aware of at shows as a very 'stealable' part these days. Hence I rarely let my car out of my/friends/other club members sight ever at shows these days. I know, sad but hey.

This is the only pic I can find where you can see one!

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
vintagevw
15 years ago
I guess they are coming from an Opel Olympia. (vauxhall)
I have an NOS one like that.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Many thanks for the replies! As the mechanism is in such good condition I am thinking about doing a transplant operation, removing the arm from a beetle semaphore I have with with dodgy mechanism and fixing it to the Saab / Opel / Vauxhall mechanism.

The mechanics look to be identical and the backplate and mounting are the same as the beetle so it looks like a relatively simple fix to give one of my semaphores a new lease of life! :d

Thanks again for the imput.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.