Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Does anyone have or know where I might find the vertical bar that fits on the rear 'Z' Bar or anti-roll bar of my 67 (model year) 1500 Beetle? I thought I had sourced one but when it arrived it was the later 68 on style. I would attach a diagram but I haven't got a clue how to :oops: Ah, just discovered Rob's post on how to upload pics so diagram now attached. It's the upright rod I am after.

I have sent emails to VW Garden, Chris' VW Emporium and Pre-67 Heaven but sadly none have bothered to reply.

Unfortunately I inadvertantly drove through a deep pothole rather too fast and (for want of a better description) the large cup washer 2/3rds the way up the rod sheared off! :cry:

Can anyone help?

Rear anti roll-bar.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
15 years ago
Hi,
Status list a complete '67 only rubber bush kit for the rear anti-roll bar, but not the actual bars.

Might be worth giving Barclay a call though.

:d

https://www.status-vw.co.uk 
Jules
15 years ago

Does anyone have or know where I might find the vertical bar that fits on the rear 'Z' Bar or anti-roll bar of my 67 (model year) 1500 Beetle? I thought I had sourced one but when it arrived it was the later 68 on style. I would attach a diagram but I haven't got a clue how to :oops: Ah, just discovered Rob's post on how to upload pics so diagram now attached. It's the upright rod I am after.

I have sent emails to VW Garden, Chris' VW Emporium and Pre-67 Heaven but sadly none have bothered to reply.

Unfortunately I inadvertantly drove through a deep pothole rather too fast and (for want of a better description) the large cup washer 2/3rds the way up the rod sheared off! :cry:

Can anyone help?

Batton wrote:

We keep a re-build kit in stock at KK, it includes all the perishable bits.... but that doesn't help you.

A while back it was impossible to find the rubbers for them and if worn it was an MOT fail, our advice was to remove it completely in order to get through the Mot. I'm not convinced they make much difference, do they?
Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your responses. I've seen the re-build kits you both mention but as you say that doesn't help as the rod itself isn't included.
Perhaps as Julian mentions it might be as well to remove the entire unit for the MOT (which has now run out)and then see how it drives without. However, from an originality point of view I would still like to replace the rod.
I'll try Barclay at Status and put out a few more feelers with others. There must be someone somewhere (sadly) breaking a 67!
Thanks again guys.

Still open to suggestions/offers from others if you read this thread.

Cheers
Batton
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Phone Bobby- 07970555104. I'm pretty sure he will have one as he has broken a few '67s over the years.

If not, try Megabug: 020 8317 7333 or Wallhouse Autos: 01322 347513
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
A chap called Craig is breaking a '67 as we speak: 07973 121094
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Many thanks Rich.
Craig had sawn through the rods on his 67, I couldn't get hold of Bobby but Dave at Megabug came to the rescue!!
Just got to hope it is the correct item this time but I have to say he did seem to know exactly what he was talking about so I am very hopeful.

All the best
Batton
Batton
  • Batton
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
The anti-roll bar rod from Mega-Bug arrived this morning and it's spot on :d
Condition is excellent and it arrived with all the main fittings/rubbers. It should be on within the hour and then I can get the MOT booked
Thanks again to all on the forum who responded. You just can't beat the pooled knowledge of so many enthusiast for the Pre-67 VWs.

Cheers :beer:
Batton