vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
fuel sender

Hello all anybody tell me how the bloody hell could you fit a fuel sender unit to a 50s beetle fuel tank.
and if so where can you buy one from?????????????

any help please

thanks
:d
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
This is a dehne accessory fuel gauge that was available through dealers in the 50s!

The top pic shows the sender unit and the bottom pics shows the actual fuel gauge

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The gauge in this car is from the early 60s but I believe (correct me if im wrong!) it should be the same!

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Andy Sparks
15 years ago
Complete Dehnes are like rocking horse, make sure the sender is in good condition, the metal always fractures.

Look for drager, or VDO electric gauges
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
many thanks to all and to seaphore for the pictures and advise but where could i pic one up from now for my 58 bug or whats the alternative many thanks

:d
harveypj
15 years ago
My fuel gauge is a motometer set up, unfortunatly also rare and money when they do turn up.
To be honest they are not that accurate and regular peeks inside the tank is regular practice. I tend to keep the tank topped up anyway as it reduses the amount of corrossion as it keeps the air/moisture away from the inside of the tank.
You can get repro fuel measuring sticks now also (they were an original dealer option back then)
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
15 years ago

My fuel gauge is a motometer set up, unfortunatly also rare and money when they do turn up.
To be honest they are not that accurate and regular peeks inside the tank is regular practice. I tend to keep the tank topped up anyway as it reduses the amount of corrossion as it keeps the air/moisture away from the inside of the tank.
You can get repro fuel measuring sticks now also (they were an original dealer option back then)

harveypj wrote:

Here are some repro ones that look very good that Karmen Konnection are selling!

UserPostedImage

https://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Karmann_Konnection_Volkswagen_Accessories_3.html 

(for me a bit of dirty cardboard torn from a wet box lying on the drive dunked into the tank seems to work!)
William
six-o-one
15 years ago