vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Hello can anybody help please i just bought a complete window rubber set with chrome for my 58 bug from k k .
but im having problem just fitted the side window rubber, it was realy hard as the rubber is nearly round rather than the shape of the glass. so i have put the rubber on the glass, but i carnt fit the chrome it is to tight so i tried to do it without the glass in. but because the rubber is all out of shape its impossable to fit. as anybody got any ideas as im realy struggling.

thanks

paul
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Any ideas please :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d
pre67vw
15 years ago
Normally the easiest way is to put the rubber on the glass, then put the moulding into the rubber, then fit the window into the car.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Thankyou for the info any tips on how to get the tim in at all.......

:d :d :d :d :d
bug12345
15 years ago
never tried this tool myself - item number 4 on link below

https://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle-Parts/Body/Window-Seal-Trim/ 

- but i just inserted the trim progressively along the window seal - just be patient - take your time - they are a pain to fit - worth it in the end!:d
doing a '59 resto
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Thanks bug12345

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Appart from the tool that can be purchased from most vw outlets to open the grove in the window rubber has anbody at all used somthing eles to to open the grove up. or any other techniques to get the god dam chrome in as im tearing my hair out trying to fit the chrome All help well appreciated many thanks

paul :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :? :? :? :? :?
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Hi Paul.
I just wonder if you're trying to fit the chrome trim correctly. The whole width of the trim doesn't need to be pressed inside the groove in the runbber. The edge of the trim which will be closest to the glass side goes into the groove in the rubber and kind of grips and stays there whilst the other edge of the trim which will be closest to the bodywork when the window is fitted, just sits on top of the rubber. Because of the shape of the trim it then all sits down level and looks good. It will be even more tightly gripped once you get the glass back into the car. Don't forget to fit the trim joining strip over the two open ends before you refit the window. I found that the joining strip was actually the hardest bit to fit but if you get it in over one end of the trim you can then slide it along to cover the gap between the two ends. Don't forget that the join in the trim should be on the vertical side of the window where its against the 'B' pillar of the door frame.
Where I did need to open up the groove in the rubber I used the pointed end of one half of a plastic clothes peg.
Good luck!
six-o-one
15 years ago

Hi Paul.
I just wonder if you're trying to fit the chrome trim correctly. The whole width of the trim doesn't need to be pressed inside the groove in the runbber. The edge of the trim which will be closest to the glass side goes into the groove in the rubber and kind of grips and stays there whilst the other edge of the trim which will be closest to the bodywork when the window is fitted, just sits on top of the rubber. Because of the shape of the trim it then all sits down level and looks good. It will be even more tightly gripped once you get the glass back into the car. Don't forget to fit the trim joining strip over the two open ends before you refit the window. I found that the joining strip was actually the hardest bit to fit but if you get it in over one end of the trim you can then slide it along to cover the gap between the two ends. Don't forget that the join in the trim should be on the vertical side of the window where its against the 'B' pillar of the door frame.
Where I did need to open up the groove in the rubber I used the pointed end of one half of a plastic clothes peg.
Good luck!

RoRoVw wrote:

I'd agree with that. Also worth getting original joining strips if you don't have them already as the repro ones are a real pain to fit. We spent a whole morning trying to do one side window and ended up fitting it without the joining trim! Then we went on the hunt for some original joining bits- the shape is completely different!
:roll:

vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Row row vw and six o one thankyou both for your help so much . I have re done the whole of a 1963 beetle about 5 years ago and i actulay put the chrome on the rubber first, then fitted the glass to the rubber no problem i have contacted the supplier who i bourght them off and he will change them for some more. i must say never had this problem befor so its a first for me i think the worst thing is when i got the chrome in the grove the bloody rubber comes away from the glass very odd oh well thanks once again

paul

:d :d :d :d :d :d