Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Was tracking these lights on Ebay recently for fun and didn't really think they'd go for very much! :shock: :shock:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300290905680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020 

Personally I wouldn't have given more than £5 for them :lol: .
Wouldn't like to be the buyer when they discover they aren't hearts , just snowflake lights totally bodged with cable ties etc!
Never have the words caveat emptor been more apt IMHO! :roll:

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
eBay link. 
I was tracking them in My eBay purely out of curiosity and I could see that the rear-facing lenses were bodged in. What didn't occur to me until reading this thread is, yes, they aren't proper hearts at all! :shock:

I think the seller's 'innocent' statement: "I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE ORIGINAL OR NOT." threw me off the scent a little when he said:
"THE FITMENTS INSIDE HAVE BEEN BODGED "
"THEY ARE SNOWFLAKE LIGHTS."

I'd be gutted if I'd committed to buying these Frankenstein hearts!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
lol, i hope no one bought them thinking they were heart tailights
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

lol, i hope no one bought them thinking they were heart tailights

stu wrote:

Trouble is though, that's exactly what has happened IMHO 😞 .
Give-aways they aren't hearts......

Different shape of the metal housing to OG hearts.

No securing clips present to secure the heart lenses.

The fact the 'heart' lenses look like plastic inserts siliconed into place (or summat like that!).

The use of snowflake lights rear reflectors and chrome bezels.

The mounting bracket pictured is a snowflake one cobbled together with what appears to be yet more cable ties or string and 2 bulbs somehow inserted :shock: .

Yet somehow someone has paid £185 for them? :evil:
I've seen some crap for sale in my time on Ebay but these have got to take the biscuit..................

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
£185- ouch!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
69project
15 years ago
i was watching these too and got scared off when they went over 100 pounds

didnt realise they were moody!!!
Car less.....
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
no offence to anybody here, but i could tell they wernt heart tailights in approx half a second
54 Gertie
15 years ago

no offence to anybody here, but i could tell they wernt heart tailights in approx half a second

stu wrote:

No offense taken, BTW it took me a good 5 mins of looking to realise!:wink: :lol:
William
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

stu wrote:

Me too, but then again, I'm a seasoned parts-pro :wink:

I'm sure there was an article in Volksworld (I think!) back when I was still at school- probably 1990-ish, that showed you how to do this mod to a pair of snowflakes. Those were the days when you could still pick up a set of nice heart lights for about £70!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
shame on volksworld for encouraging people to butcher a pair of og snowflakes :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

shame on volksworld for encouraging people to butcher a pair of og snowflakes :lol:

stu wrote:

You think thats bad, you should see some of the hack jobs that they feature!:wink: :lol:

Still, a great mag but it makes me feel ill some times!:lol:
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
ive sent you a pm will, ta
vintagevw
15 years ago
I feel sorry for the guy who bought it..... Amen.[-x
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
15 years ago
these lights were sold / bought a few months ago on ebay.. and the advert was a whole load clearer 😳
www.vwoval.co.uk
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

these lights were sold / bought a few months ago on ebay.. and the advert was a whole load clearer 😳

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

I suspected the seller may have been stung on these going by the very 'careful' way that the whole auction was worded, but didn't want to tar and feather them without proof :lol: .
A real shame if they have tried to mislead.............[-x
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I am shocked! I cannot believe that anyone spends that much money on rear lights without at least doing some research first to check what they should look like! :shock: were the plastic CABLE TIES not a giveaway!?!* :shock:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
69project
15 years ago
as ive now looked at the pics of the lenses for sale in classifieds,i can now clearly see how bad these were

imagine how annoyed you would be on opening box...:evil:
Car less.....
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago

as ive now looked at the pics of the lenses for sale in classifieds,i can now clearly see how bad these were

imagine how annoyed you would be on opening box...:evil:

69project wrote:

Agreed, but I reckon that auction was about one of the best examples of needing to KNOW what you were bidding on!

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
15 years ago
.....and they're back on Ebay!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-BEETLE-BACK-REAR-LIGHTS-SPLIT-OVAL_W0QQitemZ300295148384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item300295148384&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 

Same description as last time 😳 , wonder how much they'll go for this time :lol: .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
69project
15 years ago
seems to be same seller as well...21 pounds at mo1
Car less.....