mrsherbie
15 years ago
I have this stamp in my 79 kab's paperwork, where is this? pre Milton Keynes? I have not owned a british vw since the 80's :oops: so have no idea :lol:

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I have this stamp in my 79 kab's paperwork, where is this? pre Milton Keynes? I have not owned a british vw since the 80's :oops: so have no idea :lol:

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

Was your car Kab purchased on the Tourist delivery scheme?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
15 years ago

Was your car Kab purchased on the Tourist delivery scheme?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Sorry to jump in here, I've never heard of that - what was it?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
VW Stan
15 years ago

Sorry to jump in here, I've never heard of that - what was it?

pre67vw wrote:

You could pick your new beetle up while you were on holiday from any dealer, the factory, airport etc.

Drive it around then give it back and it would be shipped to your local dealer later after you returned home.

Lots of brochures on The Samba...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/touristdelivery.php   1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
This is a quote from Dave Ruby (Ghia guru on The Samba)

VW had a tourist delivery program from the 50's on. One could order a specific vehicle from one's local dealer, and a German dealer (or later, the VW tourist delivery depot in Wolfsburg, or at the Frankfurt a.M. airport) would prepare the car for pickup, with customs license plates, temporary paperwork and tourist car insurance. The tourist would then have the opportunity to drive the car around Europe, and return the vehicle to a predetermined shipping-off location on an agreed-upon date. Then fly home, then after a month or two, pick up the vehicle either at the port or the local dealer.

"retrowagen" wrote:

My '58 Ghia was bought through the "US Tourist Scheme." Betty the previous owner said she had a month's holiday in her new Ghia in April/May 1958, driving it through Germany and France before returning it to a depot somewhere (she can't remember where exactly). I have the original German registration plate that Betty saved from her holiday.

I mentioned this to Hants VWOC member John Beever and he said the scheme was set-up by VW to get round US import restrictions in the '50 and '60s. Apparently VW dealers in the U.S. pushed this scheme and it was certainly a popular package. As Dave (retrowagen) has said, you ordered your VW at your local dealer, the major parts of your holiday were organized for you, you collected you new car on arrival, drove it on your holiday and returned it for shipping to your home.

So you were happy, you got your new car at your home, having already driven it on a memorable holiday. Not only that but VW were happy too because they’d sold you a new car and when it entered the U.S. it didn’t enter as a new car to count against their limited annual quota but as a used car. Bingo! VW get to ship a few thousand more cars into the U.S. every year. This applied to other countries who operated "Protectionism" during the 50s and 60s.

John.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Thanks all!

I have heard of the tourist programme and that could explain then why I have three of these stamps in all the places where I should have dealer stamps and I cannot find any mention of a uk dealer, and its plates have no dealer on them from memory ( I must check them to be sure)

I have to get new plates made and foolishly thought it would be a simple task :lol:

Anyway, now I am going to dance round the room to 'Fame' wearing legwarmers, hmm can I still get away with that 'wedge' haircut I used to have?.. ooh I am getting into the 80's mood now! UserPostedImage

Oh, (I hear you think in jealousy) I really wish my beetle had one of those nice light blue bubble font vw docs folders :lol: :lol:

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann