overrestored
15 years ago
This is one of the headlight buckets from a late Rometsch Beeskow coupe... this car is missing the parts that hold the headlights to these. Does anyone know the origin of these headlight assemblies... so that we can find the parts that are missing?

also... these trim rings are a bit different than what is on my car. I have seen several different styles of headlight trim ring... it would be nice to see a posting of all the different styles!

Oystein?

Christian?

Thanks

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
My opinion based on "some" research on the topic Rometsch Beeskow Headlamps:

- Rometsch Beeskows always used a 200mm diameter (outer chrome ring diam) headlamp assembly
- My belief is that all EU and also when shipped to the US they had "non-seal-beam" bilp-type lamps
- They sourced the ring, reflector, glass and corresponding buckets from the Hella catalog of the times and ended up with using at least 2 different styles:
- Style A: Smooth chrome ring, always the familiar Hella V-pattern on the lense. Most period pictures I have of such lights are on later, curved screen cars.
- Style B: Grroved chrome ring, sometimes V-glass, sometimes U-glass. Most (but not all) period pictures I have of such are on early split screen cars.

Many German cars, mostly of a larger sort, of the time used such standard Hella-units of 200mm diameter. The grooved ring StyleB was used on Opel Blitz trucks and a series of German buses "Bussing". I have sourced my NOS units, including the steel buckets from such an Opel truck. They are not hard to find in Europe.

Regarding the buckets pictured in Eric's post:
The ring seems too narrow, the buckets seem to be US-units of some sort. Both the pressing-style and "flat nut" mounting hardware point in the US-direction. But I really do not know...AND...they might very well be retro-fitted in the US when the car was brand new.

They definately look different than my units - but again might be correct for this US-spec curved screen Coupe.

See pictures below.

Style A - smooth ring:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Style B - grooved ring:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
overrestored
15 years ago
I would only disagree on one point ... I don't think the grooved style were only on the early cars...
My 1956 car... has the grooved style headlights... it is the red car in your last photo above.

I have also seen early ghia headlights in one or two cars... but I am pretty sure these were retro-fitted later.

protect me from what I want
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.... The two grooved pics above: The blacnwhite one is a period photo of a split and the color photo I took of your car back in 95. I have about 150 period pics of Beeskows now and .... as a matter of fact... It is hard to find a split with a smooth rings and equally hard to find a curved screen with grooved rings. But there are exceptions. Ghia lamps are smaller - 180 mm? - and would be wrong no matter what.