Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Sadly this Last Edition beetle is unlikely to be the very last one produced for the UK, even though it carries plaque #300. The plaques were issued by the dealers and not by the factory and the order in which they were allocated bore no relationship to chassis numbers.

My Last Edition beetle (Plaque #81) has a similar low mileage but I wouldn't value it at anywhere near £20k.

(#300 has also had it's seats re-upholstered). 😞

RoRoVw wrote:

I agree Rob. Crackpot dealers at it again.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Sadly this Last Edition beetle is unlikely to be the very last one produced for the UK, even though it carries plaque #300. The plaques were issued by the dealers and not by the factory and the order in which they were allocated bore no relationship to chassis numbers.

My Last Edition beetle (Plaque #81) has a similar low mileage but I wouldn't value it at anywhere near £20k.

RoRoVw wrote:

This is correct. Back in 1982 I owned a 1978 red 1200L RHD Beetle imported new by VAG, it had a later chassis number than the 300 of the last edition shown here.

However #300 has the provenance and in years to come will be the museum piece car and the historic Beetle. The dealer rightly describes it as a historic vehicle, and I rarely agree with dealers on anything.:mellow:

Old Rattletrap's value forecast of classic Beetles has been pretty accurate over the last 25 years, I don't see any reason to doubt it now.:wink:

Yes plaque #81 or any of the other 300 may never be worth £20k as you say.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Special Edition Beetles have always been a little contentious when it comes to value. I agree with John that the significance of the Plaque alone will propel #300 into a higher price category, despite the fact that it was likely far from the last officially imported Beetle into the UK.

Over the past 20 or so years, I have watched the prices of World Champion (or Marathon) Beetles very carefully in the hope that they might realise higher prices than otherwise normal ’72 1300s. Unfortunately, any variance in price is minimal, I would guess that the seller probably hikes up the price of such a special in the hope that there will be an avid “specials” collector out there willing to pay the money. In reality, I don’t think there are many people willing to pay much more for a Special Edition Beetle than a regular model in similar condition.

The GT Beetle is probably the only exception, but that would be more about the fact that it comes with the combination of a flat windscreen, torsion bar suspension, disc brakes and a high ratio gear box mated to a 1600 engine than the fact that it is a special edition.

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Special Edition Beetles have always been a little contentious when it comes to value. I agree with John that the significance of the Plaque alone will propel #300 into a higher price category, despite the fact that it was likely far from the last officially imported Beetle into the UK.…

Mike Peckham wrote:

There are three things in a classic vehicle that are often of more value than the metal itself.

Provenence, history and even a good story or legend behind it – Rattletrap's a good example. Oh and a fourth, low registration numbers (sadly).:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Over the past 20 or so years, I have watched the prices of World Champion (or Marathon) Beetles very carefully in the hope that they might realise higher prices than otherwise normal ’72 1300s. Unfortunately, any variance in price is minimal, I would guess that the seller probably hikes up the price of such a special in the hope that there will be an avid “specials” collector out there willing to pay the money.…

Mike Peckham wrote:

This illustrates your comment nicely, Mike…:smile:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1113513 
 Marathon Resto.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
356boy
13 years ago

Sold for a respectable £20,000 plus buyer's premium. Sets a new benchmark for the Beetle in UK auctions.:thumbup:

Rattletrap wrote:

my 50 didnt meet the reserve so a deal was done after the auction had ended:d
bit more than 20k:wink:
54 Gertie
13 years ago

This illustrates your comment nicely, Mike…:smile:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1113513 

Rattletrap wrote:

Cant think the last time I saw a 1302 based Marathon.

I had a full set of Lemmerz Marathon wheels a few years ago, with four caps (albeit tow in bad shape) and they took forever to sell and in the end I got naff all for them.
William
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Cant think the last time I saw a 1302 based Marathon.

54 Gertie wrote:

As far as I know, it was only the UK that got the 1300 based World Champion (Marathon) beetle. Continental Europe and North America all got 1302s'.

There were quite a few WC Beetles still around 20 years ago, nearly 200 on the register in the UK, but you see far fewer now, possibly because VWs of the early 70s were so prone to rust.

The wheels come up for sale surprisingly often, maybe they are the only paart of the cars that lasted?! The rarest and most difficult part to find though is the grey plastic wheel nut covers, they're like hens teeth!

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
pre67vw
13 years ago
Running/Driving '50 for sale for €13.5k doesn't seem like a bad deal with some of today's prices...

https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=3312 

However... quite a few bits needed to get it back to stock. Presumably the dash hasn't been hacked to fit those lumps of wood 😳 But rip out the Jules Verne crap and you could have a pretty nice split...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I rather like that, aside from the interior.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
RockStock
13 years ago
well, it looked absolutely ace pre-makeover
just needed a nice set of og rims

UserPostedImage
StockRocks
Rattletrap
13 years ago

well, it looked absolutely ace pre-makeover
just needed a nice set of og rims

RockStock wrote:

X2.

What a shame – and wood, ugh :!:

mrsherbie
13 years ago
Funnily enough I just came on to put ours back on here for sale.
that car is exactly the same, an old black repaint over medium brown. Our 50 is matching numbers all og, and VERY solid needing h/ch bottom plates (not h/ch's they are solid) ) and odd bits and bobs of welding but nothing major, but 100% correct og parts ( apart from grooved sems).
We want 11k but wont sell it for a penny less, which is the cheapest complete all og parts, matching numbers 50 around by far. To be honest I know we are very lazy about selling it :oops: :d as we are not desperate at all, and yes it will want a full mechanical overhaul as O pulled it out of a barn where it has sat since the late 70s but its a running driving completely original car that has never been got at, and I am genuinely very surprised that we still have it at the money!

But clearly the 10k+ beetle market is slow, as look at the 49 on here!

Unfortunately, the sum total of a complete split beetle's parts are more than 10k ( I know, I have worked it out as I have been offered 10k for mine, but decided I preferred to keep it instead) although I did say I would let it go for 11k at the time so it was very close. So when you get to the point where it is more profitable to break a split than sell it complete, you will find either:

a. most people who need the cash will break it up instead and sell it off in parts as its easier AND more profitable,
OR
b. just not bother to sell it right now and prefer to keep it a few more years instead ( like me) 😛
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Funnily enough I just came on to put ours back on here for sale.
that car is exactly the same, an old black repaint over medium brown.

mrsherbie wrote:

Thats lovely. Medium brown is one of my all time favourite colours.

Has the fuel taken been replaced before?

And the purple seat belts make me went to cry. :rofl:
William
Rattletrap
13 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Take no notice Mr Sherbie!

The original colour is perhaps more attractive than black to some, as black is so much more the norm with splits. The problem then becomes removing that patina'd black to end-up with a shiny brown repaint.

However to anyone who wants to keep it as is your asking price spot-on.:beer:

vintagebug
13 years ago

Take no notice Mr Sherbie!

Rattletrap wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
mrsherbie
13 years ago

The problem then becomes removing that patina'd black to end-up with a shiny brown repaint.

However to anyone who wants to keep it as is your asking price spot-on.:beer:

Rattletrap wrote:

OK I will bite, on this single occassion : 😳 No, you are completely wrong, all the brown showing on our black 50 is 100% original. No repaint. The black was done in the 70's. We know the elderly owner and the full history of this car. I have only waxed under the bonnet.

You are getting confused with british 50's beetles that suffer from that 'vein' cancer rust all round joints & seams. This is a far north sweden car. They tend to rust generally only where the brown dealer applied thick underseal has come off over time ( like this one, (hence it needs bottom plates exactly like my car did, yet the heater channels are good)

In fact this car with all its og panels & metal and lack of any welding, is the exact polar opposite of Rattletrap.... :wink: (you asked for that and dont say you didnt! ) :d

And cripes! I am surprised you have forgotten already, I am a nagging woman, not a man! :rofl:

mrsherbie
13 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

I used to love medium brown, but they seem a bit common nowadays! :shock: :rofl: (we have got another one same og colour ) I love the bordeaux red best myself :drool:,

No the tank is og to car. Do you know in all the times I have been with the car I never noticed that they were 'lilac' before :rofl:

Rattletrap
13 years ago

OK I will bite, on this single occassion : 😳 No, you are completely wrong, all the brown showing on our black 50 is 100% original. No repaint. The black was done in the 70's. We know the elderly owner and the full history of this car. I have only waxed under the bonnet.

mrsherbie wrote:

I know that the existing brown is original Mr Sherbie.:wink:

My comments referred to getting the black off (most of the car) and then back to its correct colour. You'd probably need to respray, which would then be minus patina with a new shiny paint finish to boot. I take it that the dash and interior are over-painted black too.

Partial colour change cars are always a problem, and this effects the value.

I am surprised you have forgotten already, I am a nagging woman, not a man! :rofl:

mrsherbie wrote:

I know you are Anna - I love you for that too.:d

mrsherbie
13 years ago
Oh, I see what you mean now ! :beer:

You see, even I nearly fell into your trap too of thinking you were having a bite! :rofl:

I should have known better of you :oops:

Yes, I agree, for us, we both much prefer the scruffy old paint too, but I dont mind too much if other people want to restore 50's cars with nice new paint either. I cant decide myself, I love 'flatish' old paint with a passion, but then I see cars just occassionally done like 50karmanns & Martins and think WOW, I would LOVE to own a car with such beautiful new paint! But then if I did I can tell you that I would NEVER take it out on the road ever again! :rofl: I dont care about other people seeing it, if its my car, and I want to keep it home and enjoy looking at it then thats good for me :d bloody vw shows and annoying beetle enthusiasts, I dont like them anyway :lol: