lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Thanks John, I feel like Rip Van Winkle! and I just woke up!

In the 70/80s LA vintage scene I never saw a Judson set/up, except in some old mag. I ran an Auto technics dual carb set up for a while-no one cared!
I could'nt give away a 40 hp SPG roller!

We may have have been the source for everything Cal look, but the LA/OC vintage scene was stagnant. same cars,people,petty whining. We moved off to
the historical vehicle scene, fresh people with open minds who had never seen a Rometsch before. Granted some of those old folks refered to VW's as
"nazi shit wagons", but we perservered and over the years shared our car with thousands.

We were "invited" to attend dozens of Concours d'elegance from San Diego to Palm Springs to Santa Barbara, and many points between. Usually we showed
with an Okrasa motor, but I don't think It mattered. If you're nice to people, and willing to share your car, answer questions, no matter how inane. You get invited to other events, the spectators don't come to see you do fire burn-outs, they come because they like cars.

I'm not putting down vintage vw shows, they are what they are- VW shows. But they can limit what you can do or experience with your vehicle.
I won't bore you by telling all the cool things we did, and the beautiful people we rubbed elbows with, but was'nt just with the Vintage VW scene.

My comments sir obviously are not directed to you personally, and if I've rubbed anyones fur the wrong way. I apologize.

phil leadley wrote:

I don't think you could possibly offend anyone here Phil. You're a very lucky Rip Van Winkle in that you've woken up to find your knowledge and area of expertise is very much "of the moment", in fact I imagine the Rometsch boys here can't believe their luck in having woken you.:wink:

I can also somewhat agree with in spicing up our interest in vintage VWs by seeing how they fit in with other marques of their era. A group of us last year accepted an invitation from the Vintage VW Club of France to attend The Le Mans Classic. It was a great weekend, rubbing shoulders with every imaginable forms of exotic motor cars...we're going again next year. This time in my Shorrock Supercharged Karmann Ghia :d
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Boring?? Are you kidding? I love hearing all this stuff!8)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
61 Devon
14 years ago
Hope this is not a daft question, but does the new WW kit fit a 25HP block ?
Plus what other parts can be used to increase the HP.
Would like an engine in my car that will keep up with modern traffic but looks the part under the engine lid.
Who do you all recommend to rebuild a 25HP 1952 engine.
Thanks
Si
overrestored
14 years ago
I just got the Wolfsburg West Repop Okrasa linkage bits in the mail. Awesome... it included the bell crank, the cross arm, and the misc bits.

This will allow me to finish another otherwise original Okrasa (Joe Ruiz 1500 longblock with round sump) and saves me from having to reproduce the linkage myself or go digging for it.

Now to fire up the welder and get that bell crank on the shroud.

COOL!
protect me from what I want
2splits
14 years ago
61 Devon,

Alot of people have the 25hp built out at a 36hp engine, with 36hp parts. Thats a 44% increase right there! And nobody would know the difference.

I've seen 25hp engines with performance upgrades, but you're talking $$$ and very hard to find. A dual carb set-up on a 25hp motor just seems weird to me. For example, an Okrasa in a stock split doesnt makes sense to me, because the kits were not available then. If you dont care about originality, then I recommend the Wolfsburg West set-up with the stroker crank (they dont offer that in the kit).

THe WW stuff looks awesome. I'm thinking of getting some of the pieces as spares for my Okrasa.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356