leowagen
14 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm a Venezuelan guy, and just moved to Argentina. I need some advice on some of you guys. I'm buying a 1956 Oval. I haven't seen in personally yet since the car is 1300 km away from my city, but the owner sent me a nice bunch of pics i requested him. The car looks quite solid, but i have a couple of questions: How should the antenna be? I can't find any details on this subject around the web. I need to know also if 1956 had semaphores... this one doesn't have. I think maybe were stripped out and had the openings sealed and painted. The owner has no idea on what happened here... he just states that had installed white lights on the fenders, that in the photo look like 1960's era. Shouldn't it have bullet style lights? or any at all?

If the semaphores got sealed, how hard is to reopen and refit them? I could find them if i look hard enough...

Other items i've seen look quite period correct. My major doubt is on what i wrote before.

If any of you could help me out, would be really great!

Thanks a lot!

By the way, great forum! I'm really enjoying it!!!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum!

The antenna would usually be a dual-mount item fitted on the front quarter panel. There is no 100% correct antenna as VW did not offer a radio as an option in 1956 (they were dealer fitted).

Uncovering the semaphore holes may or may not be easy. They may have just been filled over with bondo or lead, or they may have been welded up. You won't know until you start digging!

Buena suerte!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
leowagen
14 years ago
Thanks a lot!

Can you tell se about the bullet eye type of turn signal? is true that bullet eye is an USA market specific item?

I've been doing a bit of research, and on the web i found this:
"1954 was also the last year the US had semaphore turn signals, replaced in 1955 by small bullet shaped indicators mounted low down on the front fenders to the outside of the headlamps"

Could be this 1956 one from the US market and really not having semaphores? I'm actually waiting for the actual owner to send me a pic of the number plates for doing my homework...

Muchas gracias!!!
VW Stan
14 years ago

Thanks a lot!

Can you tell se about the bullet eye type of turn signal? is true that bullet eye is an USA market specific item?

I've been doing a bit of research, and on the web i found this:
"1954 was also the last year the US had semaphore turn signals, replaced in 1955 by small bullet shaped indicators mounted low down on the front fenders to the outside of the headlamps"

Could be this 1956 one from the US market and really not having semaphores? I'm actually waiting for the actual owner to send me a pic of the number plates for doing my homework...

Muchas gracias!!!

leowagen wrote:

Hi, welcome to pre'67. :d
A USA spec '56 would not have semaphores. It would have bullet indicators as you say, on the front wings and the taillights flash too.
It would probably have towel-rail bumpers as shown on the attached picture of a USA '56.

US 56.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
leowagen
14 years ago
Thank you! any idea on where to find the numbers sent to the US?
mpherbie
14 years ago
try the museum at volkswagen always a great source of information also you can get your certificate using this formWir über uns About Us
Themen Topics
Veranstaltungen Events
Ausgewählte Exponate Selected Exhibits
Shop Shop
Urkundengenerator Certificate generator
AGB Terms
So finden Sie uns How to find us
Öffnungszeiten und Preise Opening times and prices
Kontakt Contact Druckversion Printable version
Sie haben einen Volkswagen und möchten mehr über seine Historie wissen? They have a Volkswagen and want to know more about his history to know?
Fordern Sie unsere Fahrzeug-Identitäts-Urkunde für nur 35,00 € an. Ask about our vehicle identity certificate for only € 35.00 at.

Und so geht's: How it works:
Tragen Sie einfach Ihren Namen und die Fahrgestellnummer in das Formular ein. Just enter your name and the chassis number on the form.
Motordaten dürfen aus Datenschutzgründen nicht herausgegeben werden. Motor data for reasons of data protection may not be published. Wenn Sie uns jedoch die Motornummer Ihres Fahrzeugs mitteilen, können wir prüfen, ob es sich um den originalen Motor handelt. If you provide us, however, the engine number of your vehicle communicate, we can consider whether it is the original motor acts.

Alle weiteren Daten recherchieren wir für Sie und senden Ihnen die Urkunde auf dem Postweg zu. All other data we search for you and send you the certificate in the post.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass aufgrund der Vielzahl der Anfragen und der aufwändigen Recherche die Bearbeitungszeit bis zu vier Wochen betragen kann. Please note that due to the large number of queries and complex searches of the processing up to four weeks can.

Nachname: Surname:
Fahrgestellnummer: Chassis number:
Modell (falls bekannt): Model (if known):
Motornummer (falls bekannt): Engine number (if known):

Zahlungsweise: Payment methods: Vorkasse Prepayment
Kreditkarte Credit card
if you go on this website you can translate it to most languages hopr this helps:wink: Wir über uns About Us
Themen Topics
Veranstaltungen Events
Ausgewählte Exponate Selected Exhibits
Shop Shop
Urkundengenerator Certificate generator
AGB Terms
So finden Sie uns How to find us
Öffnungszeiten und Preise Opening times and prices
Kontakt Contact Druckversion Printable version
Sie haben einen Volkswagen und möchten mehr über seine Historie wissen? They have a Volkswagen and want to know more about his history to know?
Fordern Sie unsere Fahrzeug-Identitäts-Urkunde für nur 35,00 € an. Ask about our vehicle identity certificate for only € 35.00 at.

Und so geht's: How it works:
Tragen Sie einfach Ihren Namen und die Fahrgestellnummer in das Formular ein. Just enter your name and the chassis number on the form.
Motordaten dürfen aus Datenschutzgründen nicht herausgegeben werden. Motor data for reasons of data protection may not be published. Wenn Sie uns jedoch die Motornummer Ihres Fahrzeugs mitteilen, können wir prüfen, ob es sich um den originalen Motor handelt. If you provide us, however, the engine number of your vehicle communicate, we can consider whether it is the original motor acts.

Alle weiteren Daten recherchieren wir für Sie und senden Ihnen die Urkunde auf dem Postweg zu. All other data we search for you and send you the certificate in the post.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass aufgrund der Vielzahl der Anfragen und der aufwändigen Recherche die Bearbeitungszeit bis zu vier Wochen betragen kann. Please note that due to the large number of queries and complex searches of the processing up to four weeks can.

Nachname: Surname:
Fahrgestellnummer: Chassis number:
Modell (falls bekannt): Model (if known):
Motornummer (falls bekannt): Engine number (if known):

Zahlungsweise: Payment methods: Vorkasse Prepayment
Kreditkarte Credit card
hopr this helps:d
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Yeah! Don´t go trying to dig the semaphores out - they were never there!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
leowagen
14 years ago
:lol: can you picture that? 3 hours of grinding with care anda patience with a brand new mototool? tearing apart the metal sheet at B pillar, just for finding nothing!!??? quite funny!!!

Now i undestand why lloks so nice that B pillar... I even thought that whoever did that work is a genius on body working....

Thanks a lot guys!!