zippy
14 years ago

Heritage have sold the last of their (genuine)mexican channels, so only have the same cheap repro's that everyone else in the Uk stocks. I dont really want to use these, as they would need a fair bit of work to look right and fit properly in my '64. Does anyone know of any manufacturers or suppliers outside the Uk of channels that are the right shape and fit??

gizago wrote:

know it's late and you prob have them now but i phoned kk the other day for some part's, while asking them for some bit's & bob's, they said they had some good heater channels in stock (think 2nd hand) but in good order if you need some now
can't remember age but may of been 50's not 60's
and sorry vintage vw i have no idea if the lowerplates from the heatherchannels from every year the same?
gizago
14 years ago
Thanks Zippy, I'm still looking into it, so I'll give them a ring. Cheers for that.
zippy
14 years ago
that's ok glad to help
saying this i know where there is a green 1958 with mint heater channel's
car is being broken up or you take the whole thing
shame to break as not much wrong body work wise and has alot of oringal part's
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi All
I am trying to find some heater channels for my '62, I woul;d be very happy to use some removed from another car and have tried sourcing some from the states but with no success yet as they either can't be asked to pack them for shipping or cut them at either the A or B posts, Zippy if the green car isn't too bad why is it being broken, my '62 is wretched but I still want to save it , Bill.
zippy
14 years ago
the 58 has been sat in the yard for a few year's now, seem's no one want's it
the gearbox has gone plus a few other parts but apart from that look's in good order

Dakota
14 years ago
Hi Zippy
I am interested in either buying the remains of the '58 or the channels from it if they're not too bad , can you help me either way , though if I buy the bug it will probably be fixed , I have a gearbox, engine, wheels etc, thanks Bill
zippy
14 years ago

I am interested in either buying the remains of the '58 or the channels from it if they're not too bad , can you help me either way , though if I buy the bug it will probably be fixed , I have a gearbox, engine, wheels etc, thanks Bill

Dakota wrote:

i will pm you later today there number so you can phone tomorrow when i find it
you should take the whole car and get it back on the road, as i said shame it sat there this long, but everyone want's split's, oval's etc..
not a 58
i have not seen the car for over 7 months as had no need to pop over dartford way, but i know it's still there
the last i saw it still had all windows, ornigal engine, seats, wings, doors etc..
zippy
14 years ago
Dakota i just pm you there phone number about the 58, im away for few days and if you did not get the pm
call these guys
wallhouse vw (old beetle / camper breakers) based in eirth (dartford)
call 01322347513 ask for jim
dry&heavy
14 years ago
zippy is this that 58 :lol:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

if so im the person that got the gearbox from that old thing, it was a steal recon by vw itself
i have robbed alot of spares for my 59 from this, but the engine is still sat there in their workshop plus wing's maybe
but i have'nt been over there in age's so may look worse than this
plus it was sat on top of two 1970's vw camper van's when i was there
zippy
14 years ago
1st Dakota was the car / heater channel's anygood for what you needed hope so
2nd dry&heavy yes it is the same car i was talking about, you must live close to me
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi
I'm afraid the remains of the car had gone , but I did get a very nice RH door via Ebay which was supposed to be a bonnet, I won a bonnet described as original but it turned out to be a pattern one but the chap did have a nice door and I am buying a '63 shell off him too although its heater channels are shot but there are other parts I can salvage from it, thanks for the lead though ,and was that '59 the one that was a whole car at Peppercorn a few years back, Ithink it was under a grand and I thought it was good value, seems a shame it survived so long just to end up on a heap in a yard but I guess much of it helped out other people , the shell I have found is just a shell and has some knarly old repairs and rust etc sao I don't feel too bad about sectioning it, Bill.
55Kab
14 years ago
Anyone have any more photos of the 58? If it was a UK car, anyone know the reg?

Dakota
14 years ago
Hi Zippy et al
I would suggest you give Jim at Wallhouse a call re the '58's registration number but I'm pretty sure its the one that was at Peppercorn a few years back, same colour same splodges of red lead on the rear quarters, today I drove a total of one hundred and eighty miles and chopped up the remains of a '63 bug and whizzed home with a variety of prime cuts for my wretched '62, not a bad day really, Bill.
Robb
14 years ago
The German heater channels that Status VW sell are very high quality 😎
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi ALL
Does anyone have any actual experience of the heater channels that Status sells? the one shown on their website does not appear to have the redundant heater outlet hump though I guess the picture may not be of anything you can buy, and they only seen to sell the wibbly wobbly floors ,Bill.
Robb
14 years ago
yes! im picking one up next week, the guy doing the body work to my 67 will graft in OG style grills and also remove and flatten off the 68- heater outlet hump, but other then that, they are meant to be very good. Hes done a few 😎
rickycox
14 years ago
Any news on the Status channels ? I see they say on their site that you dont need to buy the " bottom plate " or " running board fastening plate " when buying the heater channel .... so did you get the whole lot with the channels ?

I have been looking at the Wolfparts bottom plate whick look very nice...

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration
www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk 
Follow us on Twitter