blendfunctionwithform
14 years ago
Hey,

i have bought a 12v conversion kit, just fitted the alternator and backing plate to my 30hp fan house tinware and the alternator is fouling the alternator stand (integrated into case). The alternator is also a totally different diameter to the stand.

Any ideas? Anyone had this problem? Do i need to shim out the alternator so that will sit further forward and clear the alternator stand?

please help!!!

Cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
I thought those conversions were for the later engines that had the seperate generator stand?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I don´t think its going work. They´re just a different size - end of!

Leave it 6v.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I thought those conversions were for the later engines that had the seperate generator stand?

pre67vw wrote:

Yes I think so. I think the only way to convert a 30 horse engine to 12v is to use a 356 generator as it has the same diameter and will fit in the fixed stand. :d

Also, an alternator would look dead odd in that lovely standard! :wink:
William
pre67vw
14 years ago
Yeah, I don't think it's going to work. Even if you manage to shim it out so it doesn't foul stuff, you'll probably struggle to find a fan belt that fits it unless it's exactly where it's supposed to be.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
blendfunctionwithform
14 years ago
Yeh cheers guys, thank you for the answer thats just said goodbye to my hopes of driving to Bugjam :(

Can't believe that Cool air didn't happen to mention it to me when i bought it before i completely stripped and rebuilt the engine. Was holding the crankshaft at the weekend, have completely rebuilt the engine to get it MOT'd in the moro.

Wounder Ho hum im gona have a beer and look up 356 alternators,

cheers, as you were
ianmac
14 years ago
Only a 356 12v generator will fit, my brother runs one in his '56 it is the same physical size as the 6v VW one only 12v, but I have no problems with my 6v system- it works fine:d
ianmac
14 years ago

cheers, as you were

blendfunctionwithform wrote:

got a feeling Owen from VW garden sells them ?
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Run it 6v, presumably you still have all the 6v bits from when you bought the car? :wink:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Yeh cheers guys, thank you for the answer thats just said goodbye to my hopes of driving to Bugjam :(

Can't believe that Cool air didn't happen to mention it to me when i bought it before i completely stripped and rebuilt the engine. Was holding the crankshaft at the weekend, have completely rebuilt the engine to get it MOT'd in the moro.

cheers, as you were

blendfunctionwithform wrote:

Our regulator packed up on our 6v system without us realising. We got as far as Cornwall (via S. Wales) before we realised! In fact, it was a 30 mile round trip with headlights that finished the battery off - it wouldn;t crank but would happily run after a bump-start! A recharge, thanks to the very kind folks at the Cornwall Jamboree got us safely home 250 miles later.

The gist of what I'm trying to say here is: don't let the lack of charging stop you getting the MOT or going away. As I'm sure you already know, these old cars don;t draw much from the battery and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised! 🙂
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Jules
14 years ago
I have a correct 'Beetle' 12 volt small case dynamo in stock at KK, I also have them for 356. There is a difference in the wiring and the way the regulator works. Your welcome to give me a call for all the info!
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Did you get to Bugjam?

Here is a possible solution, it seems that status sell what you need.....A 12v 30 horse dynamo! 😎

https://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/index.html?target=dept_1.html&lang=en-gb 

About half way down! Hope this helps
William