pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
Oval failed the MOT today, main thing was the steering box is knackered (it does feel bad). Nobody seems to list oval steering boxes though, they're all 61- :?:

Anyone have any leads on finding one? (reconditioned is probably best)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Rob,

You can fit a 1961 and later steering box (which is the easiest option), but you have to swap over the steering box drop-arm to a 1967-only one (ie: one that fits the output shaft on the steering box, but has the correct diameter holes for the track rod ends). Finding a good condition early steering box is tough, especially as you can't really tell if it's any good or not until you've fitted it to the car.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I need to replace the box on our oval too. Just found this at BFY, any thoughts/comments? $169USD incl. a $60 exchange surcharge.

https://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/1946-60-beetle-steering-box-c-280-p-1-pr-4076.html 

UserPostedImage
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
That box looks like a good deal from BFY. Airmail shipping will be a bit on the heavy side too though (probably $75+)
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Shame you have to then also send them your one, still, no room left to keep hoarding these old parts for the sake of it...........like rusted out bumper mounts! :shock: :roll: :lol:
William
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
What about the rebuild option? are the bits inside available?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

I have always though about buying a new post 61- unit and putting the "guts" into the oval one? However, im sure that one small tiny part would not quite fit! :twisted:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
HEY!Oakley,what's happening with your friend in Paris
(subtle reminder:wink: )
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

HEY!Oakley,what's happening with your friend in Paris
(subtle reminder:wink: )

'50 Karmann wrote:

Nothing at the moment. Will keep you posted.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

They come up for sale NOS sometimes, usually one bit at a time. However, it might be worth dropping my mate Mike Willis in S.Wales an email. An engineering shop rebuilt his steering box for him recently (however, it was an early Bay Window Bus box!). Worth a try.... [email protected]
Chris
14 years ago
Rob,

How can you tell if they're knackered ? The reason is I think there's one in my garage, a spare one that is. Quite willing to post it to you if you want it. Just give me what it costs in postage. Thinking on though, I it might be a LHD one, but I was told that there is no difference.

Could get a quote for postage this weekend if you want.

Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Rob,

How can you tell if they're knackered ? The reason is I think there's one in my garage, a spare one that is. Quite willing to post it to you if you want it. Just give me what it costs in postage. Thinking on though, I it might be a LHD one, but I was told that there is no difference.

Could get a quote for postage this weekend if you want.

Chris

Chris wrote:

That would be great! It's a LHD one that I need (if there's a difference).
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
Quick movie of the car's first outing...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago
Were you in a hurry?
Good to see it on the road.
Comforting to know that roof rack is not going to come off aswell:wink:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

That would be great! It's a LHD one that I need (if there's a difference).

pre67vw wrote:

Same box LHD or RHD, just the drop-arm is different.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
Yay! Oval passed the MOT :d

Big up to Chris for saving the day :beer: :beer: :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
14 years ago

Yay! Oval passed the MOT :d

pre67vw wrote:

Congrats Rob. :d Some photos of her please!

GKL 7
14 years ago

Some photos of her please!

55Kab wrote:

Minus roof rack:lol: :lol: :lol:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Minus roof rack:lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hmm, a bit tricky that one :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Congrats Rob. :d Some photos of her please!

55Kab wrote:

How about a short video, watch on youTube and click HD to see it in it's true awesomeness...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW