jrusk1957
14 years ago
I just purchased a 1959 VW convertible. The side window trim (bothe for the vent wing, side and rear windows) is in bad shape rust wise. Is there a place that will refinish the trim or a place where I can purchase new trim from that anyone knows of? Am new to all this and I really appreciate the help everyone has given me so far in this process.

Thanks

Jim
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
14 years ago
Hi Jim

Sounds interesting, can you post a photo for us to see.

I've just sent the frames on my 55 away for rechroming. Shouldn't be a problem for a good chroming shop as once stripped they'll be able to fill the deep pits with braze, grind down/polish ready for replating.

However, word of caution, when stripping, tell the chrome shop not too leave the parts in the acid too long (lots of short dips is best) as the acid will eat the existing braze and the quarterlights and frames will fall apart! :wink:

jrusk1957
14 years ago
Thank you, will try to get some pictures on. I will look for a chroming shop in my area. Do you know what it costs to have this done? Thanks again for your reply.

Jim
jrusk1957
14 years ago
Can't find my camera to post a picture but they are pretty bad. Have tried to find a spare set (Wing vent window frames) but no luck. Looked here locally for someone to re-plate but no luck there either. Is there anyone that someone might reccomend to send off for rechroming? Does anyone know what it might cost? Also have ordered side window scrapers from JC Whitney and CIP but they look different. Can anyone tell me how the scrapers go on?

Thanks for all!!

Jim
jrusk1957
14 years ago
Can anyone tell me if there is a cheap window conversion for this? All chrome sites want at least 1500 to do.

Thsnks

Jim
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Sorry to say there are no cheap solutions to most problems with an early Kabriolett!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
jrusk1957
14 years ago
Bummer, guess I am just going to have to bite the bullett...Thanks

Jim
55Kab
14 years ago

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheap window conversion for this? All chrome sites want at least 1500 to do

jrusk1957 wrote:

As JD says Jim, there's no cheap window conversions to do this. 1500 (assume $$$) sounds a lot though. That said, Bob Shaill once said there's only one Volkswagen more expensive to restore than a Swimmwagen and that's an early Cabrio! :lol:

I'll let you know how I get on as I should get my frames back in the next week or two. I did actually source some more frames and picked the best of the bunch from all but you couldn't say that what I sent to the chrome shop just needed a light job!

Don't know what yours look like but here's an example of how mine looked when I got the car:

Window frame corrosion.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
jrusk1957
14 years ago
Wow, yes, mine don't look quite that bad but thry are close. Can you tell me what you were charged to do yours?

Thanks a bunch!!

Jim

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Do you know if grinding the chrome off yourself and polishing the frames before you take them to the chromer is possible? Thats where all the work is in very rusty parts, if I understand it correctly.
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

grinding the chrome off

JD wrote:

Oh!shit someone's car is going to look real nice:wink:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Oh!shit someone's car is going to look real nice:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I´ve got a roight gurt big bastard file to do it with an all!
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

Do you know if grinding the chrome off yourself and polishing the frames before you take them to the chromer is possible? Thats where all the work is in very rusty parts, if I understand it correctly.

JD wrote:

Good question. Don't know. I don't see why not but I guess you'd have to ask the chromers. Getting rid of the corrosion and polishing is one thing but you don't want to thin the metal too much and if heavily pitted would still need to be filled with braze and ground down again which is what the shop does.

The proof of the pudding will be in the unwrapping of the freshly chromed frames!

GKL 7
14 years ago
Should have got a Split dash Martin,another solid aluminium part:beer: