pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
Please post nice clear photo's of semaphores as they changed through the years.

The top post will be edited to show relevant photos in year order.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
Not really up on my semaphores, first pic was from a '49 though  semaphore1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  semaphore2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
A comparison between Saloon and Kabriolett semaphores.
(Borrowed from this excellent site...
https://web.telia.com/~u31614242/cabrio/Semaphores.html  )

UserPostedImage
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago
Split Dash Cabrio Only.
Notice the steel frame passes completely around the lens,unlike on a saloon or later model 'vert  _K3C4939.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Split Dash Cabrio Only.
Notice the steel frame passes completely around the lens,unlike on a saloon or later model 'vert

'50 Karmann wrote:

George,

This may not be the thread to argue this but I am not sure about the semaphore you have posted, the topic has been debated before and many were convinced the split cabrio semaphore is the same as a saloons from the same era, I remember several supposedly original untouched cars pictured with normal style semapores. I think the debates were on a Pre Oct '52 Karmann yahoo group, I will try to find some time to try and dig it out.

Cheers
Kev
GKL 7
14 years ago
I'm sure.
You need to buy new sems:lol:
Big money.(maybe £1K a pair depending on condition)
Mine had the correct part number down the spine and a VW logo.
Heres another set restored in the U.S
The guys who say they used saloon sems are the guys that don't have the correct items.  43385674iu7.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

I'm sure.
You need to buy new sems:lol:
Big money.(maybe £1K a pair depending on condition)
Mine had the correct part number down the spine and a VW logo.
Heres another set restored in the U.S
The guys who say they used saloon sems are the guys that don't have the correct items.

'50 Karmann wrote:

UserPostedImage

In the picture above, those semaphores appear to be standard early 49-53 ones with the different cabrio arms/lenses. Is that basically what they are George?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Don't know why Karmann would have decided they had to have just different arms and lenses.Strange.
But it's just one of those little differences on the 'vert.
They are rare,i've only actually seen two sets in person.
The lenses are paper thin and are a single sheet,not moulded to give them strength, i mean the thinest plastic i think it would be possible to make.It becomes very brittle.  1fy2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bengt H
14 years ago
I think there is someone i Germany who makes this "lenses", seen them in Hückeswagen 08.
48REME
14 years ago
Alejandro Martin in Brussels also makes semaphore lenses and actually reconstructs semaphores by using various bits. This can be a cheaper option compared to having to buy original ones.
For my 48, he had used repro handed lenses and adapted the shell from the early oval type which, once bent at an angle at the bottom were virtually identical to real pre-49 ones.
Alejandro was at HO in June.