Hawker
  • Hawker
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Mr Magyar asked, on the Split forum, where Rattletrap was/is.

I'm asking, "Does anyone know where the Beetle featured on the cover of Abbey Road is?"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
I've wondered about that car for years.
My old eyes won't read that number plate,but if some one can, Professor Oakley could probably find out some answers.
That would be one8) car to own  abbey_road_album_cover.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike Peckham
14 years ago
It was featured in VWM many moons ago - maybe in the 80s? I think it had just been sold for a lot of money on the basis that it was on the album cover. Don't know what has happened to it since but a check on the DVLA website would ascertain whether or not it was still registered.

My guess is that it is in the private collection of some Beatle Fan, probably sitting in a garage untaxed...

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
GKL 7
14 years ago
This is the same car,the reg is clearly visable in this pic.
Yuck!!!so are the upright headlights  Abbey-Road3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
VW Stan
14 years ago
"The Volkswagen Beetle parked next to the zebra crossing belonged to one of the people living in the apartment across from the recording studio. After the album came out, the number plate was stolen repeatedly from the car. In 1986, the car was sold at an auction for $23,000 and is currently on display at the Volkswagen museum in Wolfsburg, Germany."

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
GKL 7
14 years ago
Apparantly around the time of Macca's death(that never was) the number plate "28IF" was supposed to say Paul would have been "28" "IF " he had lived.
People always tried to find a hidden meaning around everything the Beatles did.
$23000 was cheap for the car it is.
VW Stan
14 years ago

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/stories/lmw281f.asp  :d

lmw281f.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
mrsherbie
14 years ago

I
That would be one8) car to own

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol: upright lover! too late you posted it so you cant take it back!

I have a spare set of GT wheels here for my kab that came off Roger Daltreys wifes kab who lives a couple of miles away, and one of Owens first beetles he bought from Jeff Beck who also lives nearby still.

The beetle is cool but I would rather have Janis Joplins 356!

UserPostedImage

I certainly dont want Lennons Roller or Bentley :? yeeuuk

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

"i didn't realise that their popularity would grow again"

SAY WHAT!!!!
GKL 7
14 years ago

:lol: upright lover! too late you posted it so you cant take it back!

mrsherbie wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I have always wanted some donkeys! ( before you think it, I know, there is a frightening pattern here) so with my 30k I am going to buy this for myself :d

UserPostedImage

And with the change this one for 50 karmann :d

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago
Can i have a donkey instead of the Zebra bug, PLEASE.
(there is a spare one,doing nothing)
64rotbox
14 years ago
Originally bought from a London car lot for a couple of hundred in the mid 1980s, I'm pretty certain it didn't sell at auction for $23,000 the first time around, more like a few thousand pounds (I saw it reported in Record Collector magazine at the time). It's been tarted up a bit, and the VW museum were saying that Lennon owned it as a London 'runabout'. Which he most certainly didn't.
You can call me Al.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
It does make you wonder whether the cars were staged for that photo.Especially as the beetle was seen as a bit of a hippy car at the time.That zebra crossing looks way too clean .its probably a piece of lino rolled out for the shoot.
64rotbox
14 years ago
Nah. They did the shoot at about seven in the morning, and couldn't get hold of the bloke who owned the Beetle. They wanted it moving, but in the end it became an iconic part of the cover. London was a lot cleaner then, evidently. It doesn't look like that now, anyway... no, I didn't have my photo taken on it. That's for sad tourists.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
14 years ago

London was a lot cleaner then, evidently.

64rotbox wrote:

So clean Macca could walk around without shoes.
14 years ago
A few years ago, I was asked to take my white 62 beetle into london to re-enact the Abbey road cover for a french film...

It was such a poor production that I drove down and throught abbey road and into an area near regent street.. and they made their own version of the crossing.. and did there own version of the abbey road cover... even though we were only a few miles from the actual location! 😳

I was neve paid for the job! :roll:
www.vwoval.co.uk
heb623
14 years ago

Can i have a donkey instead of the Zebra bug

'50 Karmann wrote:

George when I was you I would choose the Zebra bug!:shock:
A donkey towing and one sitting at the wheel its just no sight!!!:lol:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
vintagebug
14 years ago

A donkey towing and one sitting at the wheel its just no sight!!!

I almost fell off my chair laughing at that ET!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
heb623
14 years ago

I almost fell off my chair laughing at that ET!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vintagebug wrote:

I hope that George can laugh about it too!:?

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!