uglybug64
14 years ago
Got my bug. :d Love it to bits. :d '64 Standard Beetle - with scary cheap re-spray. :shock: '66 recon 1200 engine with about 15,000 on it, has sat for the past 5 years so doesn't go.... :cry: Horrible rust in driver side floor pan - and probably loads of other places.:cry: :cry: The shell is pretty good - someone obviously cared for it in the past. It's my toy, my project. There is no rush - it's now garaged so shouldn't deteriorate much further. I've read the books, watched the videos. Still not convinced I know where to start...Do I attend to the rust? Get the engie fired up (seems a bit pointless since it's got no chance of passing MOT with the floorpans in that state - so it's not like I'll be able to take her out for a spin..)? All contributions gratefully received.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum!

Start where you have the most confidence/knowledge/experience and it will spread. You really need to come up with a plan - decide if you want to just get it through an MOT and drive it, or whether you want to do a full on restoration. As you assess what needs to be done you'll start working out an order to do things - ie. it may be easier to fix floor rust before replacing brake lines, etc.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
uglybug64
14 years ago
Thank you for the welcome. Having read around the forum it seems like a friendly place! I've messed with bugs before - small scale - and really fancied doing a full (ish) restoration on this one. I got it as a project - have always wanted to restore a bug (no idea why..) The previous owner had already started stripping stuff out, then obviously reattached (but not reconnected) bits to sell the car! By the time I sort the floor pan, re-connect the electrics, deal with the windows that don't really work and the door locks that don't lock, re-commission an engine that's been sitting for 5+ years, I'll have done so much that I might as well do a full resto! The stuff I don't fancy doing myself is floor pan welding (my welding experience is non-existent) and the final re-spray, so would appreciate recommendations for good people in the Kent/E.Sussex area! Also a good parts supplier in the UK - I don't want to fit crappy cheap bits if I'm going to the trouble of dismantling the whole car. In the States they all go to WW but I suspect the shipping costs will be mad! When I get cracking I'll post some piccies - all I've got at the moment is it rolling painfully into the garage...
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Welcome.

If you're looking for original parts for the car, you won't have to travel far. There's a chap called Owen Warlow who lives near Wadhurst- his better half Anna, (mrsherbie) frequents this forum.

Floorpan halves are available in several different qualities. I believe Karmann Konnection in Essex are stocking the best ones available at the moment.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
14 years ago
Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
Karmann Konnection stock a lot of stuff sourced from Wolfsburg West and they'll give you a discount if you mention you're a forum member too.

Julian Hunt from KK visits here from time to time as well
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
55Kab
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum.

As Rich has said above, the best floorpans are the WW "grey" ones. They are the same gauge thickness as OG. KK is your best place to get them. Heritage stock them but are more expensive than KK.

Good luck with the project, post some pics up of the car so we can see what she looks like...