Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I have a very odd problem on the '47. There is a loud 'clicking' sound coming from the engine, better described as a 'Clickerty-Clack' sound! Disconnect the fanbelt and it goes away. It's there all the time when the engine is running and the tighter you run the fan belt, the louder the sound gets.

Thinking the dynamo was the culprit, I rebuilt it a few weeks ago (the bearings needed doing anyway), but after reassembly of everything, it seems that the noise is coming from the belt or lower pulley. When you 'pinch' the belt to test its tightness, you hear the same 'clicking' noise as the belt moves against the crank pulley. I've tried changing the belt for a new one, but the sound is still there. Any ideas as it's starting to drive me nuts?!!

Thanks,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Dakota
14 years ago
Hi
have you got a hairline crack around the boss of the crank pulley, look carefully you may have some rusty dust as a giveaway, Bill.
VW Stan
14 years ago

Hi
have you got a hairline crack around the boss of the crank pulley, look carefully you may have some rusty dust as a giveaway, Bill.

Dakota wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Barclay had a pulley explode on the way to a show once so worth checking! :shock:
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I had a look at the pulley the other day and couldn't see any evidence of cracking. However, I'll have another look this week. It does sound like the likely cause.
In this event, does anybody have a spare thin-lip 25hp pulley available??
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Closer inspection looks like it could well have a hair-line crack which is causing the problem, although difficult to tell whilst it's still on the car! Thanks for your inputs.

Does anybody have a spare thin-lip 25hp pulley for sale?
Fuzzy
14 years ago

Does anybody have a spare thin-lip 25hp pulley for sale?

Rich Oakley wrote:

ive PM'd you over the other side of the tracks :wink:
Gertie60
14 years ago
Hi sorry for hi jacking the thread but i need help finding a cam shaft for 1960 30 hp 1200 dont suppose you could help???cheers steve
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Drop 'Fuzzy' a PM or email, he may be able to help as he's selling some 30bhp stuff at the moment.
dry&heavy
14 years ago
Gertie60 i have a spare 59 & a 62 engine i may part with if this help's
Gertie60
14 years ago
Thank you all so much for your help Fuzzy has sorted me out,all the help much appreciated,steve:d
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I'm finally about to do something about the engine in my '47. Here's the culprit of the clickerty-clack sound...
UserPostedImage
Kippered!! :shock: