dry&heavy
14 years ago
hello 1st of it's been great pc died so quiet for last month
but i need some big help
i have started up again selling nos skate decks
and i am thinking of buying a 1950 stock split bug this time
but there's one thing i dont like it's the colour, the car was resparyed year's back in the 60's
at the moment car is black but underneath it's brown (some of you may know the car im on about)
i know i will have two split brown bug's, i can't go wrong :lol: :lol:
i want to remove all the black and take back to the oringal paint
but i don't want to spend £££ just to mess it up if you understand
so what is the best way to remove 40 yr old paint or can this even be done ?
much help as poss please, i know may take along time but i would be more happy with oringal paint instead of a respray
oh yeh if you were behind me on m25 yesterday in a white 365 on way home from volksworld show where you filming me in my 52 brown zwitter ???
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
14 years ago
Seen that car advertised for a while now, The interior/dash has been painted black too. Removing all that black paint will be a mamouth task, a job I'd not want to undertake.
Got to ask yourself why was the original painted over in the first place? If it was done properly it most likely would have had some sanding down done, so you might not have all of the original paint left underneith anyway.
Have seen a thread on the samba about this sort of thing; uncovering sign writing on split buses.

Stock......the new custom
dry&heavy
14 years ago
thank you,
i understand there could be some nasty surprise under the black paint but even if it did go wrong i would just have it sprayed back to brown but i could'nt handle it looking all new and shiny, so i would be more willing to go down this slow path 1st
dont think you seen my brown 52 only about 60% paint left on the car :lol:
im happy to try or does this sound mad ?
harveypj
14 years ago
If a respray would be aceptable as a back up then I guess there would be no harm in trying.
Not sure what method I'd opt for:?:
I think I'd start on the flat surfaces with a very fine wet n dry say 1000 until original paint started to 'grin' through then go to a 1200 or posibly even a 1500. Once I had a good persentage of original colour Id finish with a compound or t cut.
On bigger curved srfaces probably more of the same just extra carefull.
As for the sharper edges etc ?? Thats were it could all go pear shaped.
The samba thread went on about using stripper or grafitti remover, there were some pretty good results but you'd have to have some experiments first before comitting to the actual car:?

If you do expose undercoat or metal you could 'patch paint' with an aerosole, flat of/polish to blend to the original paint, I guess you'd need to do this in the rear grill anyway.
dry&heavy
14 years ago
a person at work was on about some product like G4 whatever that is but im taking that with a pinch of salt as he was laughing after i told him what i had in mind
but as you said keep trying different methods and see which is best
curves,& sharpe edge's could be a problem but i guess if i took my time and did'nt rush i could be lucky
knowing my luck i would of get three quarter's way through just to find last quarter was rubbed bear b4 it was sparyed in 60's:lol:
i think its a nice car and back to brown 😎 but i would'nt want it looking to new
harveypj
14 years ago
G4 is a paste compond, used with a rotary polishing pad, normay after a respray to remove orange peel or small imperfections. You may have heard of the term 'mopping'

dry&heavy
14 years ago
thanks thought he was trying to be funny
i will read this thread on samba
but im thinking a camper is alot more easyer to try this on
dry&heavy
14 years ago

Have seen a thread on the samba about this sort of thing; uncovering sign writing on split buses.

harveypj wrote:

What a read thank you
i do feel alot more happy now knowing this can be done plus some very nice result's
but so many different product's & methods people have used hard which one to pick (case of trail and error)
with a camper just looked so much easyer, alot more flat surface's plus im scared to think about the dash area
but if everything ended up pear shape would be sprayed :cry: