Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I was bored the other evening so I was browsing youtube for some clips of where I grew up (Stourbridge, West Midlands). I found a few interesting clips from the 80s when I was growing up there, but then I found what appears to be a documentary, split up into several clips, regarding the building of Stourbridge ring-road in the late 1960s. A couple of these clips are superb. The first one nearly made me wet my pants for a number of exciting reasons.... At 0:36 in the clip, the mock-tudor building on the left is The Mitre pub where I spent most of my mid/late teen years drinking, unsually until unconscious. Secondly, the no.257 bus on the right of the clip is the bus I used to catch every day to college and thirdly, there's a RHD Gulf Blue 1963 (!!) Notch in the clip, reg: 56 JGD...

As if this video clip wasn't enough nostalgia for one evening, another clip from the same documentary actually did make me wet my pants. In the construction of the ring-road a number of old buildings had to be knocked down. Check out the following clip at 0:31...

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
14 years ago
Argh!

Which dealership was that, then?
You can call me Al.
RockStock
14 years ago
😎
StockRocks
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Argh!

Which dealership was that, then?

64rotbox wrote:

The one in Stourbridge :wink: :lol:

In 1968 when demolished, I think it was called Mill St. Garage (Kidderminster Coachcraft). The old building was demolished and a new one built further along on Mill Street, outside the new ring-road in 1968/69.

The new garage in Mill St. Stourbridge c.1971...
UserPostedImage

I used to get loads of parts for my '61 daily driver from there in the early 1990s. One of the employees owned two Split Beetles, a '51 11G and a '52. His dad used to own a 1947 Beetle.

This remained the VW garage for the area until around 1998 when a new sparkly dealership was built in Wordsley.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Whoever thought the construction of Stourbridge ring-road could yield such a wealth of pre-67 VW stuff? Another clip, from the first day it opened- 1 Nov 1969. At 2:35, there's a Baltic Blue 66/67 Fastback...

...and another clip showing the side of Mill St. Garage before the bulldozers moved in at. At 0:50 you can see the corner of the dealership on the left, complete with Mr. Bubblehead VW-logo and at 1:01 you can see the rear of the Mill St. dealership...

...I spy a beige pre '67 Beige Beetle on the old forecourt.
Robb
14 years ago
cool! nice one Rich. I love watching these old videos 😎