Ovaltine
14 years ago
My Beetle, a 1970:oops: - I'm after a split though - has just died.

Ive gone through the obvious dizzy, coil, condenser, fuel pump, carb you name it, so can confirm all is well with a good blue spark at the points and fuel through the carb. To be sure I replaced everything with that from a running spare engine I have, but nothing:!:

It did fire up briefly yesterday after being left alone for a few days, ran slower and slower with no throttle response then died and from then on no sign of life again.

Everything is good and the timing is correct plus a good strong battery good compression and good starter motor:? :?:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

My Beetle, a 1970:oops: - I'm after a split though - has just died.

Ive gone through the obvious dizzy, coil, condenser, fuel pump, carb you name it, so can confirm all is well with a good blue spark at the points and fuel through the carb. To be sure I replaced everything with that from a running spare engine I have, but nothing:!:

It did fire up briefly yesterday after being left alone for a few days, ran slower and slower with no throttle response then died and from then on no sign of life again.

Everything is good and the timing is correct plus a good strong battery good compression and good starter motor:? :?:

Ovaltine wrote:

Does it have a dual port engine or a single port? What you describe sounds like a common symptom of split dual port manifold rubbers.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ovaltine
14 years ago

Does it have a dual port engine or a single port? What you describe sounds like a common symptom of split dual port manifold rubbers.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Thanks Rich. Its a dual port. Ive had aquick look and can't see any openings. Over the weekend Ill take the the clamping rings off and see what the rubber is like :beer:

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
They're a bugger to get off with the engine in, but you can do it. You can't always see the split either, but there's usually a strong smell of petrol when you're trying to start it.

If that's not the problem and you're sure everything is ok with timing, points gap and you're getting a good spark, take the top off the carb and make sure the float chamber is full and hence eliminating a sticky needle valve.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ovaltine
14 years ago
Manifold rubbers found to be okay. Pouring a drop of petrol down the carb neck fails to give any hint of a start-up either. The engine really seems 'dead', but as I mentioned before coil, dizzy, carb pump etc are all working, compression fine on an engine that suddenly faded away. Valves okay, no tight tappets either :?

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Any joy with the engine yet?
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Any joy with the engine yet?

Rich Oakley wrote:

No luck!

A mechanic friend of mine had a quick look and drew a blank.

Everything is working, except the engine, no sign of a fire-up at all.

My mate used the car a while ago and well overfilled the engine oil and drove it some miles:x

could this have caused anything. Plugs are clean though :?

Rather a lot of oil came out when I took the valve cover off to check the valves :roll:
Standard split
13 years ago
When I got Rattletrap, everything worked but he didn't run :?

It turned out that having spent so long in the museum untouched, the petrol was 'stale'.

I cleaned Rattletrap's system right out and put fresh petrol in - he runs a treat :d

As you say your friend used the car and overfilled the engine oil, check that he hasn't put diesel or an old can of petrol in the tank :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Still no luck:!:
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
If you're 100% sure all the electrics, timing, valve clearances etc are spot on, take the carb off and completely strip it down, including taking the main jet out. Had a similar problem with Dave (Bally) Ball's T34 Ghia last week. Mike 'Super Mike' Peckham stripped the carbs down whilst Dave and I drank tea and blew out all the jets and airways. Lo and behold, it fired straight up.

Worth a try!

Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Before stripping the carb, have look down the throat and move the throttle by hand to check fuel is entering the engine, does the exhaust smell of fuel after you have tried to start it ?
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Thanks. I've even changed the carb, plus also pouring a drop of petrol down the carb should give some attempt to start, but still nothing?

Engine is all thats left to change :?

GKL 7
13 years ago
If the engine turns freely it can only be one of two things...Fuel or spark.
Have you taken a plug out and shorted it on the tinware if the spark is there,start looking at the fuel system,if the spark is missing work your way 'thru the electrical system.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Long shot here and I'm not betting my money on it.. perhaps something got sucked through the carb and is blocking the inlet manifold? I suppose you could stick some petrol in through the spark plug holes and see if there's a faint glimmer of life from the thing? :)

As has been said before, spark and fuel should at least give the odd pop and splutter.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
55Kab
13 years ago

Mike 'Super Mike' Peckham stripped the carbs down whilst Dave and I drank tea and blew out all the jets and airways

Rich Oakley wrote:

Can't add anything more than's been said...just that comment above really made me laugh. :lol:

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
My little motorbike has a habit of killing its spark plug when I start it after the winter lay-up. I´m told they can short out due to moisture in the petrol. Never heard of it with a car, but I swap the plug and it runs straight away.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Update on progress or lack of it.

Another mate has had look and says the spark at the points is a bit orangey in colour and not a bright blue and so too weak to fire up.

Distributor and condenser changed so not at fault. There looks to have once been a short on the loom running to the generator as it has all been taped round with insulation tape sometime ago with the insulation melted. He rekons the damage could extend further back into the cars frame with the insulation on the ignition wire damaged? A loom replacement sounds expensive :?

Standard split
13 years ago

Update on progress or lack of it.

Another mate has had look and says the spark at the points is a bit orangey in colour and not a bright blue and so too weak to fire up.

Distributor and condenser changed so not at fault. There looks to have once been a short on the loom running to the generator as it has all been taped round with insulation tape sometime ago with the insulation melted. He rekons the damage could extend further back into the cars frame with the insulation on the ignition wire damaged? A loom replacement sounds expensive :?

Ovaltine wrote:

Not replaced a loom myself, but maybe check the loom from the engine back to under the rear seat, the regulator on a 70's Beetle lives under there. It's a likely place where something of a metal nature could have fallen in and caused a firework display resulting in the melted insulation mentioned :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378