Last Triumph
13 years ago
During my search for a correct SG ignition switch, I'm coming across both 'short' and 'long' arm switches.

I'm led to believe that a long arm is the correct item, but I've no idea what that means or what the difference is or if they are interchangeable?

Anyone?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Hopefully sorted the ignition switch issue now...

I'm on the scrounge if anyone is willing or able to help??

During my brake rebuild, somehow I;ve lost one of the brake spring clips that holds the bottom spring to the brake pivot bar like this one...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113609625 

I've tried all the usual suspects and all said they'd need to be ordered and will take weeks...

Does anyone have one lying around in their stash of bit n' bobs I could beg steel borrow or buy please?

Thanks muchly.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Good news - found not only a brake clip, but also a mint ignition switch with original huf key...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Arminius
13 years ago
This is a useful site wrt registration numbers....if you are desperate for a non age related plate they seem to be cheapest at the DVLA auctions. Some classics, last catalogue i looked at mid summer featured w411 ker....made me chuckle...now up for 30K at one of the bigger dealers!

https://www.londonbusroutes.net/miscellaneous/regs.htm#index 
Last Triumph
13 years ago

This is a useful site wrt registration numbers....if you are desperate for a non age related plate they seem to be cheapest at the DVLA auctions. Some classics, last catalogue i looked at mid summer featured w411 ker....made me chuckle...now up for 30K at one of the bigger dealers!

https://www.londonbusroutes.net/miscellaneous/regs.htm#index 

Arminius wrote:

An excellent resourse, thanks.

Out of interest, I downloaded the catalogue for the next DVLA aution which is the only place they sell dateless pates these days and for a 3 letter & 3 number plate, the reserve is £1900 minimum accross the board.

Not that I'm interested at all.... :oops:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago

Not that I'm interested at all.... :oops:

Last Triumph wrote:

Not that you're interested and all that...here's a nice 5 digit one for half the DVLA auction prices > Why no 57?:

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp 

**EDIT**
No worky linky so type 'YNO 57' in the search :beer:

Last Triumph
13 years ago

Not that you're interested and all that...here's a nice 5 digit one for half the DVLA auction prices > Why no 57?:

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp 

**EDIT**
No worky linky so type 'YNO 57' in the search :beer:

55Kab wrote:

How cool would that be!

****looks for shifty looking whislting bloke smiley****

Not that I'm bothered...[-x
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago

How cool would that be!

****looks for shifty looking whislting bloke smiley****

Not that I'm bothered...[-x

Last Triumph wrote:

Not that I'm at all interested, but I did a hpi search on that number and it has just been taken off an old motorcyle which has just been assigned a standard DVLA dateless plate - YUC.... so I guess YUC is the current issued letters.. :roll:

Like I say, I have no interest in this sort of thing, whatsoever.

At all.

:oops:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago

Like I say, I have no interest in this sort of thing, whatsoever.

At all.

Last Triumph wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Given it's a 5 digit plate, the price regtranfers are asking for it is actually pretty good I reckon. Of course you can also make an offer which means it may cost you less or a search through the many pages of cherished numbers on ebay may net a bargain.

Out of interest, did the hpi check give you the year of the motorbike?

And I presume it's going to cost you around £300 of the queen's finest to get a DVLA plate anyway?

GKL 7
13 years ago

Why no 57?:

55Kab wrote:

And the point is???

11 OYD is listed and for me would be nice but £42.5K + tax[-x I couldn't justify spending on a number plate even if it had a personal significance.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

And the point is???

'50 Karmann wrote:

It likes a bottle of burbon or two and is a real 'wino'... :lol:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Happy New Year progress fans!

I've no idea whether I'm doing this right, or whether I'm about to make a fool of myself, but as I gallop towards my 40's with ever advancing velocity, I thought it might be a good idea to try and keep in touch with the 'youth of today'... so here goes....

*TWEET*

Got fed up waiting for the NOS trans mount to arrive to am popping out to the garage to work on something else and will report my findings later...

(Hope that's right?)
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Right then - determined not to waste a day off work, I hit the spanners and decided to take a look at the front end - mainly the suspension and brakes.

I didn't have a specific plan, so stripped the front brakes down first.

Off with the wheels...

UserPostedImage

First off is the bearing cap. This is just a press fit and will either pry off with a large screw driver, or if you de-grease it and then grip it with rubber gloves, it can be pulled of with a little force. Note, the circlip and square section device protruding through the left hand side is the speedo cable and must be removed before pulling the cap of.

UserPostedImage

Which once removed will reveal the two 27mm bearing adjustment nuts which on the front left are a left hand thread.

UserPostedImage

If you slacken the brass star adjusters from the hole in the drum face, the drum will then slide off easily.

UserPostedImage

Front shoes look very nice indeed...

UserPostedImage

The entire brake assembly can be removed as one unit by undoing the three 17mm bolts that hold the back plate to the hub assembly, but if your car is really original, there still might be a security wire linking the bolts to each other to prevent them coming too far undone. I decided to undo this carefully as I might reuse it if it's not too brittle.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This will allow you to remove the brake assembly and flexi hoses if still attached to the back plate.

UserPostedImage

I noticed that the front brake hoses were actually still in really good condition, so just for fun, I cleaned one up to see what was under all the crud - nice original ATE hoses!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Irrespective of their condition, I'll replace them with the NOS ones I've got as it'd be rude not to.

So, all the brakes are now off and ready to be cleaned as per the rears.

UserPostedImage

Next up was to remove the original front BOGE shocks, which actually didn't feel too bad, but as I have some OEM new BOGE ones, I'll retire these in the name of safety.

UserPostedImage

How cool is this sticker!

UserPostedImage

The inner bearing race and spacer are still pressed on to the spindle and there isn't enough gap behind them to get a normal set of pullers. What is the accepted method of removal for these please? I take it I should remove them and not just reassemble?

As I want to clean up the font beam to match everything else, I thought I'd start to remove it... Firstly by undoing the steering coupling at the flexi joint with the two 14mm castle nuts. This just seemed the path of least resistance in the steering assembly.

UserPostedImage

Then I undid the front body/beam mount bolts. The original rubber pads are perfect!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At this point I realised that I'd need to remove the steering arm ball joints in order to remove the beam and as time was getting on, I thought I'd quit whilst I was ahead and ask the good people of the internet what the best method / tool is to use to split the ball joints, as whatever it is you suggest, I'll have to go and buy tomorrow as I don't have any ball joint tools yet and want to get the most suitable one....

Oh, and just when you thought it was safe - here's a little LT-TV which will be self explanatory when you watch it!

That's all folks!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Great update as always Andy.

For the track-rod ends, invest in a ball joint splitter. They're only about £15 or so and save a lot of hassle.

For the front bearings, I've struggled on numerous occasions with these and often ended up destroying old bearings. One day I visited the local car spares shop to buy some oil and happened to mention this bearing removal problem. The guy showed me a puller that does the job perfectly. Rather than the usual 2 or 3 prongs, the puller has 2 C-shaped wedge sections that taper right down. You can just about 'wedge' these behing the bearing and pull it off. Great tool (which I have often borrowed from the guy in the past), but I don't own one (or else you could have borrowed it!).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
PS: just found this set of pullers on ebay that shows the C-section pullers:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GEAR-PULLER-BEARING-SPLITTER-SET-inc-vat-/280479589414?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item414de2e426 
UserPostedImage

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Cheers Rich, I'm off to Machine Mart tomorrow to do some shopping.

What do you reckon to this??

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-3525-ball-joint-separator-scissor-type 
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Quitting when you're ahead is great, but quitting when you've won is much better....

By 10.30pm I was bored and came to the conclusion that the garage was calling louder than my bed so back out I went.

Scratched my head a little about how to improvise without a ball joint splitter, then remembered that Dad had made one when he was a boy, years ago in the days before he could afford tools....

Good old Dad again....

UserPostedImage

Which quickly led to this...

UserPostedImage

Which then allowed me to do this...

UserPostedImage

Note to self - front beams are heavy and awkward - don't let them drop on your hand...

First time I'd had a good look at the front inner wings, which tragically are even better than the rear ones. Can't wait to clean these up!

UserPostedImage

I then needed to get the steering box off, which is held on with a clamp and two 19mm bolts.

UserPostedImage

Followed by the steering arm which is held on with a 17mm pinch bolt and partial spline.

UserPostedImage

As you all know, I absolutely hate cleaning stuff, so this little lot is just desperate for a little LT magic.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At this point the clock struck 1am, so it's now time for bed.... night all.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago
Nice work Andy.

Hope the front trans mount turns up this week...are you going to bring her along to Sandown Park if she's ready?

Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Cheers Rich, I'm off to Machine Mart tomorrow to do some shopping.

What do you reckon to this??

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-3525-ball-joint-separator-scissor-type 

Last Triumph wrote:

Yep. that'll be fine, although it looks like you don't need it now!