Last Triumph
13 years ago

They gave you stick for modifying a car, on a modified car forum.
How does that work then???

'50 Karmann wrote:

Not so much stick, but questions about the logic of fitting LED lights to a car that I've bent over backwards and spent fortunes on keeping 100% correct and original.

I can understand, but yet again - it's 20 min reversible mod that cannot be seen and will reduce the chance of being rear ended by a big margin.

I don't get it (or care any more) either.

:beer:

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
54 Gertie
13 years ago

They gave you stick for modifying a car, on a modified car forum.
How does that work then???

'50 Karmann wrote:

No problem with clearancing for a Berg 5 box, but some LED's to stop the rear end getting trashed and they all get up in arms. Does seem a tad odd.
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Not so much stick, but questions about the logic of fitting LED lights to a car that I've bent over backwards and spent fortunes on keeping 100% correct and original.

I can understand, but yet again - it's 20 min reversible mod that cannot be seen and will reduce the chance of being rear ended by a big margin.

I don't get it (or care any more) either.

:beer:

Last Triumph wrote:

You need to come back here to the home of us elitist originality snobs :rofl: to find acceptance for such crimes. (At least until Anna gets back here.)
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Investigated the dim number plate lamp - stripped it down, cleaned it and rebuilt the popes nose assembly - the light lense was about 3mm thick in farm dust....

Nice and bight now! :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago

No problem with clearancing for a Berg 5 box, but some LED's to stop the rear end getting trashed and they all get up in arms. Does seem a tad odd.

54 Gertie wrote:

probably due to some of them being a tad odd :rofl:

55Kab
13 years ago

Investigated the dim number plate lamp - stripped it down, cleaned it and rebuilt the popes nose assembly - the light lense was about 3mm thick in farm dust....

Nice and bight now! :thumbup:

Last Triumph wrote:

WHAT...no photos :?:

Last Triumph
13 years ago

WHAT...no photos :?:

55Kab wrote:

To be fair, I thought that was too dull, even for me to post...

Last night was spent doing all my final MOTand running checks such as torquing the rear hub nuts, tightening all the wheel bolts, re-adjusting the beake shoes, topping up the oil, re-shimming the dynamo belt now that it's bedded in, checking the rest of the lights and bulbs etc.

What I did discover is that despite me changing the bulb, one of my semaphores fails to light up. A quick investigation found the lamp wire had fractured where it passes through the hinge point of the mechanism.

I'll re-join the wire tonight and all should be well.

I'll take some pics if it pleases the court....?

Other than that - we should be good to go for Tuesday MOT.

What I couldn't get working was the interior light, despite confirming the bulb is fine.

Other than the switch on the actual light unit and the push switches in the A pillars, is there any other controling switch - the manual talks about a switch on the lower dash....? :?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Other than the switch on the actual light unit and the push switches in the A pillars, is there any other controling switch - the manual talks about a switch on the lower dash....? :?

Last Triumph wrote:

Interior light switch under the dash is Oct 52-March 53 only I think.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Interior light switch under the dash is Oct 52-March 53 only I think.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Makes sense I guess.

So, is the only control the slide switch on the lamp unit?

Also - is my headlight switch knob meant to rotate? If so, for what purpose?

On a separate note....

Does anyone have the official dimension for the diameter of the flywheel end of a 36hp crank where the shims slip over etc.

I've got a load of used (excessively worn) crank shims and they all measure slightly different internal diameters due to, I guess, wear and manufacturing tolerences etc so I'd like to know what the official measurement of the crank is?

I'm suspecting it is 48mm but I'd like confirmation on this please?

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Also - is my headlight switch knob meant to rotate? If so, for what purpose?

Last Triumph wrote:

It's a rheostat to adjust the briliance of the dash lights.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

It's a rheostat to adjust the briliance of the dash lights.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Yes, I'm always very proud of my fully functional dimmer. Also my interior light works (sometimes) and that makes me inexplicably very happy.
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Oh, and get a meter on the + feed to the interior light and - on earth to make sure your getting a good 6v. Also check for a connection between the earth wire from the door switches and earth on the body. It's probably just due to the connections right at the light unit being all gummed up.

A quick wet 'n' drying of the brass (I think...) contacts should see it working if the bulb is good and the tests above come out okay.
William
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Oh, and get a meter on the + feed to the interior light and - on earth to make sure your getting a good 6v. Also check for a connection between the earth wire from the door switches and earth on the body. It's probably just due to the connections right at the light unit being all gummed up.

A quick wet 'n' drying of the brass (I think...) contacts should see it working if the bulb is good and the tests above come out okay.

54 Gertie wrote:

Light unit connections were mint and dry, but I'll put a meter accross either way.

Where is the earth from the door switch?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
69project
13 years ago

Light unit connections were mint and dry, but I'll put a meter accross either way.

Where is the earth from the door switch?

Last Triumph wrote:

on my 59 it goes the terminal on steering shaft by horn
Car less.....
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Been trying to find a photo o the type of mirror I think you need for a while now, just found one.

UserPostedImage

For sale here.

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=693405&page=2 
William
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Finally plucked up the courage to tackle a really grotty and messy job tonight as I'm running out of pre MOT inspection jobs to do.

Tonight, I cleaned the floor pan!

It was the last area I'd not really had a look at, so it was nice to see that it was as solid and original as the rest of the car.

To make life a bit easier, I jacked up the front end to give me a little more room to manouver underneath.

UserPostedImage

I used a pneumatic plant sprayer to liberally apply almost a gallon of jet fuel to the underside, then gritted my teeth and armed with an assortment of stiff brushes, slid under and scrubbed for all I was worth.

It was a pretty miserable experience I can tell you, as not only was the smell pretty awful, but I was getting rained on with jet fuel, the brushes were spraying me in the face all the time with dirty, gritty paste whilst rolling around in an ever deepening pool of gunk.

Once I'd removed all the solid matter which thankfully consisted mainly of dried on mud and farm dust, I resprayed it all again for a second time until the drips were coming off clean (all over me, again).

Satisfied that all the dirt had been removed, and to give a nice surface for the wax sealant to adhere to, I then filled the plant sprayer with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) then washed and scrubbed it all down again to leave a dry and grease free surface.

I managed to take a few pictures along the way during both stages, some wet with jet fuel and some with alcohol that is partially dried out.

The flash on the camera makes everything look much more orange than it really is - under the fine surface patina, the original black floor pan paint is all there, present and correct, which is a lovely sight...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Check out the heater channel bottoms!

UserPostedImage

Lots of black paint peeping through...

UserPostedImage

Not many original 54 year old battery trays look like this!

UserPostedImage

You can see the alcohol starting to dry out in this picture...

UserPostedImage

I'll leave it to thoroughly dry out, then tomorrow night I'll 'monsoon' it with several coats of sealing wax like the wheel arches etc.

When I got in the house, Mrs LT burst into fits of laughter at the sight of me.... messy job!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

That is all for now!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Good work:thumbup: At least the floorpan is clean and ok:d
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Good work:thumbup: At least the floorpan is clean and ok:d

59 Ragtop wrote:

It was the last frontier - I can now officially state it is totally 100% rot free, unwelded and doesn't need any whatsoever - incredible! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Great stuff. Good luck with the MOT:smile:
Dakota
13 years ago
Your dedication is admirable but I do worry about your garage going up like an incendary bomb, do you consider the alcohol to be better than brake cleaner and how does it compare on cost? By the way like everybody else I loved the film of your car especially the bit of it whizzing off up the road for the first time in quite a few years.