cupa65
  • cupa65
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hi

Although my Swedish 65 has only covered 59 000 kilos the drivers seat is worn and threadbare in places. Any ideas where I can get the correct cloth from? It's the light grey cloth with black stripe.

Cheers
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Speak to Lenny Copp, he may be able to supply the correct material..
https://www.classicvws.com/menu3.htm 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

Thanks for that. Will email Lenny. Although it may be a big ask as it appears from his site that he only does the vinyl style.

Cheers
CNE789
13 years ago
Is it similar to this?

UserPostedImage 

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

That is exactly the same as mine. Same colour and pattern.

Cheers
CNE789
13 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php 

I do not think this is a "Swedish Cloth" but standard upholstery type for 1965 model year?

Hope this helps in your search. You can have mine. . . if you buy the whole Beetle ;-)

H.

VW Beetle 1965 Pearl White.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

On my birth certificate from Volkswagen it states "turf grey" if anyone is any wiser.

Cheers
GKL 7
13 years ago
Usually a very good reference,but i couldn't see it listed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php 
cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

From the link it looks like I'm looking for some Brown Grey cloth material.

Cheers
mrsherbie
13 years ago
This one=

UserPostedImage

Its not really brown at all though, it is grey as you know. The brown version of this in panama & pearl cars is a real coffee stripe as per the above colour chart pic CNE posted, and in bahama cars its a (really pretty) bright turquoise.
1 yr only cloth, no repro and I doubt anyone ever will given that uk and usa cars never had it. I would repair your original, so many have been lost to tmi.
We might still have the above seat back only (if you get really desperate and decide to repair yours) but I have no idea where it is! I would have to hunt. But its not perfect. Annoyingly I know we have a mint brown front seat somewhere.
Or you could fit some gen dealer accessory artex seat covers when yours really start to go badly.
They are very cool ( I have a nos set :d )

When I get home next week I will post pics of the brown & turq cloths if I remember!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

Did think about contacting the resident expert on Sweden but our server was down. Then i got side tracked, with work, heavens above!!!

I see you have dangled the unreachable carrot with the set of NOS seat covers.

The sample seat does look exactly like mine though.

On a preserve or rectify note, as with the worn OE carpets I would prefer to leave, so seat covers would be better.

I do find it quite interesting the difference with Swedish cars, I think I'm up to about 5 major ones.

Cheers
CNE789
13 years ago

I do find it quite interesting the difference with Swedish cars, I think I'm up to about 5 major ones.

cupa65 wrote:

Could you please share them with us?

AFAIK, the upholstery is not different for Sweden. Different from upholstery on Beetles delivered to USA and UK perhaps, but not different from the rest of Europe.

Thanks!

mooney3019
13 years ago
Its the same as my car, why is yours so worn with that mileage?, mine is like new, ~and I think its was only fitted to scandanavian cars, got any up to date pics?
mrsherbie
13 years ago

AFAIK, the upholstery is not different for Sweden. Different from upholstery on Beetles delivered to USA and UK perhaps, but not different from the rest of Europe.

Thanks!

CNE789 wrote:

Yes.
I think Sweden just had mostly cloth interior cars. I think cloth is far more luxurious myself, but I guess vinyl was cutting edge luxury in a faux leather way at the time so regarded as more luxurious? or maybe just too cold to sit on at -40 :shock: :lol:

There are some nice Sweden specific things, all dealer supplied I suppose, the tall gravel guards being the most obvious I guess, and dealer fitted vinyl interior panel covers on early cars.

My oval has only done about 100k kms and the interior is lovely except some really bad wear caused obviously only by kids in the back!

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

These are the differences I have noticed

1 Everything covered in underseal

2 Cloth seats

3 No hole in floorpan just in front of frame horns (to stop water?)

4 Gravel guards

5 O rings on frame horn bolts (to stop water?)

5 Seatbelts shoulder only???????

6 Mudflaps put on before underseal applied?????

7 Laminated front windscreen?????

I had to question the mileage myself looking at the wear on the drivers seat but everything else is so good. Rubber mats, pedal rubbers which looked original even underneath, headliner, door cards, bonnet card, glove box etc etc.

When I had the gearbox output shaft seal done by Peter at cogbox he couldn't find any signs of usage anywhere apart from 1st and reverse.(read as new)

So it's a bit of a mystery?
cupa65
  • cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

Picture of offending item!!!  IMG_2225.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.